My Xbox one S keeps shutting off during the first update for the console during initial setup

Discus and support My Xbox one S keeps shutting off during the first update for the console during initial setup in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi, I just bought my Xbox one S yesterday and during the setup where it has to update, after awhile it shuts off and I need to restart the update.... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Jakevandee, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Jakevandee
    Jakevandee Guest

My Xbox one S keeps shutting off during the first update for the console during initial setup

Hi, I just bought my Xbox one S yesterday and during the setup where it has to update, after awhile it shuts off and I need to restart the update.

:)

Jakevandee, Nov 24, 2017
  2. beaulieu4
    beaulieu4 Guest
    new xbox one s shuts off random during start up. tried the restart power and it did not work.

i have had the new xbox one s console for 1 day and now it wont start. keeps shutting off during start. tried the power reset and it didnt work. any other things to fix it?

beaulieu4, Nov 24, 2017
  3. Bazajaytee
    Bazajaytee Guest
    Xbox one console shutting down during initial setup

Make sure there is no disc in the drive.

Unplug the console from power supply and remove the power cord from the power brick and leave it for a few minutes, plug everything back in and see if you can do the setup again, it may be that some of the cables are not correctly seated.

Make sure you firmly push all cables in, they may offer some resistance when pushing in the cables so just be sure they are fully placed before plugging into the wall.

Bazajaytee, Nov 24, 2017
  4. Icosago304
    Icosago304 Guest

I'm having the same problem. I found that If I keep my controller from going to sleep by moving the toggle it will keep it from shutting off. The download is taking insanely long though. Over 2 hours and only at 37%.

Icosago304, Nov 24, 2017
  5. same problem, and I have noticed that if I sit there and wait for the update it doesn't shut off but who the hell has time to sit infront of a screen Keeping something from shutting off, if I aint gaming i'm busy with laundry kids, work, don't have 2-3 hours
    to sit infront of a black screen while a meter moves 1% every 5 minutes lol

White Hammer419, Nov 25, 2017
  6. Could it be the same as I had sept 2016 - my X1 was new - that console does not sense downloads as "busy" and not shutting down.

If you can - go into settings - go offline if you need to - and turn off auto shutdown, if default was 30 minutes or 1 hour.

So set to no timeout for inactivity and shutdown.

Just a guess.

BookishFlunky90, Nov 1, 2018
  7. BookishFlunky90 Win User

Could it be the same as I had sept 2016 - my X1 was new - that console does not sense downloads as "busy" and not shutting down.

If you can - go into settings - go offline if you need to - and turn off auto shutdown, if default was 30 minutes or 1 hour.

So set to no timeout for inactivity and shutdown.

Just a guess.
  8. White Hammer419 Win User

same problem, and I have noticed that if I sit there and wait for the update it doesn't shut off but who the hell has time to sit infront of a screen Keeping something from shutting off, if I aint gaming i'm busy with laundry kids, work, don't have 2-3 hours
    to sit infront of a black screen while a meter moves 1% every 5 minutes lol
  9. Icosago304 Win User

I'm having the same problem. I found that If I keep my controller from going to sleep by moving the toggle it will keep it from shutting off. The download is taking insanely long though. Over 2 hours and only at 37%.
  10. XBF Crystal P Win User

XBox One keeps shutting off during initial update

Hello
    1timehero!

Thank you for reaching out! I'm sorry to hear about the issue with the Xbox unexpectedly shutting down. I recommend the following troubleshooting articles:

You do have a couple of options in relation to how you go about setting up a repair, either at a

Microsoft store near you
    submitting a service order requestyourself,
    or contacting Xbox Support
    directly.

Try this out and let us know the results.
  11. 1timehero Win User

XBox One keeps shutting off during initial update

So the update finished applying after a very frustrating process of sitting in front the console and turning it back on as it continuely shut off, hoping the update would remedy the problem. No such luck. Console continues to shut off. Unfortunatley even
    though i barely used it, it’s out of warranty because it basically sat in my room unopened for about the 1st year, year and half.
Thema:

1. My Xbox one S keeps shutting off during the first update for the console during initial setup - Similar Threads - keeps shutting off

2. Xbox keeps shutting off.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox keeps shutting off.: My Xbox series x keeps shutting off. It occurred on previous one now on brand new. Have fan and well ventilated. I’m thinking could it be my internet. It’s fiber optic and my connection is IPv4....
  3. Keep having to reinstall Ultimate Solitaire Collection everytime I shut down the PC. How...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Keep having to reinstall Ultimate Solitaire Collection everytime I shut down the PC. How...: Hey guys! So, I got Ultimate Solitaire Collection for Xbox, and wanted to use the Play Anywhere feature to play better on my PC with a mouse. Unfortunately, while the game works fine on...
  4. Why does my Xbox Series S keep shutting off while trying to play 2k24?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does my Xbox Series S keep shutting off while trying to play 2k24?: My Xbox series S has been shutting off every time I try to play NBA 2K24 but It lets me play any other game like GTA 3 or Starfield with no problem. It will let me play one game in MyCareer then...
  5. Xbox keeps shutting down as soon as I turn it on....

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox keeps shutting down as soon as I turn it on....: My Xbox X keeps shutting off as soon as I turn it on. Ive tried cleaning, plugging directly into the wall, changing the wall power socket, changing cords, etc... Im at a loss. I spent so much...
  6. Why does my Xbox witless elite 2 keep vibrating then shutting off then coming back on then...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my Xbox witless elite 2 keep vibrating then shutting off then coming back on then...: had the controller for about 5 months not. Never had any issues then the other night it just started bring up the task bar menu. Then would bring up the “turn off console turn off controller or...
  7. Xbox One keeps shutting off

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One keeps shutting off: My Xbox One shuts off when I try to power it on. The power cord is fine and it will shut off in around 5-15 seconds within powering it on. I don’t understand what is wrong with my Xbox. Can...
  8. Controller while playing Cold War keeps shutting on and off

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Controller while playing Cold War keeps shutting on and off: While playing Cold War the controller shuts on and off. Tried to sink it. And tried a different controller. All it does is shut on and off. I even unplugged every thing for about 2 hours and it...
  9. New Series X randomly keeps shutting off

in XboX Insiders
    New Series X randomly keeps shutting off: Need some help here. Purchased a Series X online this week and received it today. Had no issues while I set it up earlier, and it stayed on for a good hour and a half while downloading a game....
  10. Series x keeps shutting off due to overheating when it’s blowing out cold air

in XBoX on Consoles
    Series x keeps shutting off due to overheating when it’s blowing out cold air: My series x has recently and unexpectedly Been completely shutting off due to “poor ventilation” despite it being completely clear of any other object and heating source, it also blows out cold...