My Xbox One external drive is dead. Will I lose all the saved games data/progress?

Discus and support My Xbox One external drive is dead. Will I lose all the saved games data/progress? in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; My external drive for Xbox One has likely died :( Will I lose all the saved games data, or will it all reappear once I reinstall the games? And how... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by djbear098, Nov 20, 2022.

1. djbear098
    djbear098 Guest

My Xbox One external drive is dead. Will I lose all the saved games data/progress?

My external drive for Xbox One has likely died My Xbox One external drive is dead. Will I lose all the saved games data/progress? :(

Will I lose all the saved games data, or will it all reappear once I reinstall the games?

And how would I know if they're stored on the Cloud or not?

Thank you in advance! My Xbox One external drive is dead. Will I lose all the saved games data/progress? :)

:)

djbear098, Nov 20, 2022
  2. RainingRoses Win User

No worries! Thanks for confirming this info.

Yeah, regardless of your country/region, the support pages should still apply to any questions. I’m in the UK as well :)

If you’d prefer to have the storage power off when the console is off, you can enable this option in Settings > Power options > Customise power options, then select ‘When console is off, turn off storage’.

Please refer to my answer in this thread where I’ve explained everything you should do to resolve this issue:

Xbox one external hard drive 3 tb Seagate - Microsoft Community

Hope this helps.
  3. RainingRoses Win User

Hello,

This guide explains everything on cloud game saves:

Xbox cloud game saves FAQ

and for Xbox 360 games specifically:

Xbox 360 cloud game saves FAQ

Also, so that we can point you in the right direction here, what’s the brand (Seagate, WD, Toshiba, Samsung, etc.) and the exact model of the external drive?
  4. Obsessive Power Win User

As for the drive, it may well just have glitched out, with the format fixing it again.

A true sign of a failing external drive is a clicking sound 'hard drive click of death'. If it's still spinning and not clicking it may not need replacing.
  5. djbear098 Win User

Thank you for your quick reply! It's great to know I've not lost everything!!!

One quick question relating to this - I know I can easily reinstall games I own (on disc), and ones from the Game Pass and from EA (for example), but will I lose any games that I originally downloaded for free via the Microsoft Gold Account? Unless they're now on, say, the Game Pass, I assume they can't be reinstalled unless I buy the 'original'?

To do with the external drive, there seems to be power going to the external drive, so I'm going to reformat it again, and see if it still works. If that doesn't, then I'll get a new one.

Thank you again!! :)
  6. djbear098 Win User

Thank you for your help :)
Thema:

1. My Xbox One external drive is dead. Will I lose all the saved games data/progress? - Similar Threads - external drive dead

2. External hard drive is confusing.

in XBoX on Consoles
    External hard drive is confusing.: So this is my first post on here and frankly I'm confused. My external hard drive isn't that old but from the very beginning of owning it, it's been weird with actually connecting to my Xbox...
  3. Not being able to play games on external hard drive

in XBoX on Windows
    Not being able to play games on external hard drive: Why can’t I play games on my external hard rice fa80c9e6-2a62-4a8b-93ef-811c874bbf99
  4. When will we be able to play xbox series X/S games from a external drive?

in XBoX on Consoles
    When will we be able to play xbox series X/S games from a external drive?: Id like to play my games from external hard drive but unfortunately i can’t play from storage, i would like to be able to do this again instead of paying for something much more expensive....
  5. I’m having problems moving Sea of Thieves from my 4TB external drive to my Internal. Need help

in XboX Insiders
    I’m having problems moving Sea of Thieves from my 4TB external drive to my Internal. Need help: I downloaded Sea of Thieves onto my External hard drive, and now I want to play it. So when I go to move it into the Internal Drive it stops moving at 2.18GB and won’t start again. How do I fix...
  6. Help with transferring games between internal and external drives

in XBoX on Consoles
    Help with transferring games between internal and external drives: Hi everyone, I have just bought a Seagate 2tb external drive for my xbox one s.It is formatted for games and is ready to go. However when i transferred a 360 title from internal to external...
  7. XBOX Series S doesn't recognize an External Hard Drive as USB 3.0

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX Series S doesn't recognize an External Hard Drive as USB 3.0: Hi there! I'm having some troubles with my XBOX Series S while trying to configure an external hard drive. According to the console, the device isn't fast enough to work as an external storage. It...
  8. Transfer my game saves from XBOX One to an external hard drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    Transfer my game saves from XBOX One to an external hard drive: Howdy, I want to transfer my old game saves data from my XBOX One onto an external hard drive. I have already formatted an external hard drive (EHD) to use but I can currently only copy the DLC...
  9. My external solid state drive is showing as media only.

in XBoX on Consoles
    My external solid state drive is showing as media only.: I have a 4 terabite solid state drive that us type-c 3.1 and I've looked at the support pages and I did what was there and it didn't work, it still shows as a media only drive....
  10. New Xbox one S update makes my xbox crash evertime my external hard drive connects

in XBoX on Consoles
    New Xbox one S update makes my xbox crash evertime my external hard drive connects: My WD Black D10 was working fine with my console until the last update. Now when the HD is plugged in, my console makes a freezing noise and shuts down and it keeps repeating in this cycle. There...