My gamertag still has a number suffix even though the original gametag is not being used

Discus and support My gamertag still has a number suffix even though the original gametag is not being used in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; i recently created a new xbox account (PixieScale#1135), and i didn't realize that i already had one with the same name (Just "PixieScale").... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by Pixie_Scale, Aug 12, 2022.

1. Pixie_Scale
    Pixie_Scale Guest

My gamertag still has a number suffix even though the original gametag is not being used

i recently created a new xbox account (PixieScale#1135), and i didn't realize that i already had one with the same name (Just "PixieScale"). consequently xbox added the number suffix in front of it (#1135), but now i logged back into the old account and changed the gamertag so i would be able to use it in my new one. BUT, xbox doesnt let me change it because the name is identical, the number suffix doesn't count as part of the name so when i try to enter "PixieScale" it says i'm already using this gamertag. i'd have to change the gametag TWICE, so i could be able to make it "PixieScale" again without the numbers and hashtag, which is really frustrating because i'd have to pay 19,00 BRL to do that. Please help.

:)

Pixie_Scale, Aug 12, 2022
  2. Smwutches Win User

There's no other way around that. As you stated, you would have to change it twice and pay both times to be able to do that.
  3. Ronnieee Win User

get rid of the stupid numbers on a unique name

Their are gamertags that are still registered from the system but are not searcheable anymore due to it being inactive. If the system still recognizes that tag, it will always provide you a suffix after it. If you want to have a gamertag without suffix, you can change it again and just make sure to double check before confirming if the system will provide suffix or not to know that this has not been used by anyone yet. But suffix is really not that bad since it will show up smaller in game, like being separated from the original tag.
  4. Smwutches Win User

Setting a previously taken but now available Gamertag as mine without suffix?

It can take time for the system to recognize the change. So if it's still giving the suffix, then the system is still showing the gamertag as in use even though it has been changed. You'd have to wait for it to recognize that it's been freed up before you can use it without the suffix.
  5. Smwutches Win User

Gamertag

With the updated gamertag policy, you can still use it even though someone else has it, but you will be given a suffix to differentiate you from the original owner. Otherwise, as long as the tag is in use on the system, you cannot use the tag. The tag system is in use on other Microsoft services, so even if it is not in use on an Xbox, it may be in use elsewhere.
  6. KindGryphon Win User

I changed my Xbox username because...

I checked and there is nobody that has the same user name as me
    If it's giving you a suffix then its definitely in use.

Keep in mind the gamertag system doesnt see captilizations and spaces as making a gamertag unique so when changing your gamertag it would see "MyGamertag", "My Gamer Tag" and mygametag" all as the exact same gamertag.

When you are seaching manually to see if someone has a certain name or not you have to search for it EXACTLY as they have it otherwise itll say no one has that gamertag even though someone might actually have it but just with different captilizations or spacing.

For example lets say you are wanting the gamertag "MyGamertag" and you search to see if someone already has the gametag of "My Gamer Tag" itll say it doesnt already exist.

When you go to actually change your gamertag to "MyGamertag" it knows "My Gamer Tag" already exists and it will therefore put a suffix at the end of the gamertag you want.

Hopefully thats not too confusing but that's essentially how that works.

Tldr: if its giving you a suffix then someone DOES have the gamertag you want but could just have any number of combinations of changes between the captilizations and spacing.
Thema:

1. My gamertag still has a number suffix even though the original gametag is not being used - Similar Threads - gamertag still has

2. I changed my gamertag and it still shows up as my old one

in XBoX on Consoles
    I changed my gamertag and it still shows up as my old one: so i recently changed my gamertag and it still showsbup as my old one. does anyone know how to change ot to my new one without my old one being on top? 0f8c79a9-24c8-4591-bf68-3fe6509d9289
  3. I have never changed my xbox gamertag before yet it is still making me pay. What do I do?

in XBoX on Windows
    I have never changed my xbox gamertag before yet it is still making me pay. What do I do?: It says I have to pay the fee but I have never changed my gamertag before. I made the account years ago and now I find it embarrassing. Please help! 19d4f6f5-9a48-4edd-b0a7-07059b450ea2
  4. Gamertag still showing as old one (been over 72 hours)

in XBoX Accessibility
    Gamertag still showing as old one (been over 72 hours): In the Xbox app, my old gamer tag is showing higher then my new one, this is not the case on the website profile, but on the website profile when I go to change my gamer tag, it says my current...
  5. I attempted to change my gamertag more than 3 week ago. It still has not reflected...

in XBoX Accessibility
    I attempted to change my gamertag more than 3 week ago. It still has not reflected...: I was able to successfully change my gamertag (system said so), but I ran into problems immediately after. My new gamertag wouldn't display and it's still the case now. An Independent Advisor...
  6. My gamertag has nott changed yet it is still my old gamertag

in XBoX on Consoles
    My gamertag has nott changed yet it is still my old gamertag: My gamertag is still the same a21e4885-2d7c-45b5-b3ae-47eaad493a19
  7. I purchased a new GamerTag and it still has not changed several weeks later

in XBoX Accessibility
    I purchased a new GamerTag and it still has not changed several weeks later: I hope someone can assist. I purchased a new Gamertag back on February 19th and it has not changed. Any idea how to get this taken care of? 634e6f36-b39e-47f7-8ff7-c84464064703
  8. Hi, I paid money to change my gamertag but on my emblem it still has my old gamertag on it...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Hi, I paid money to change my gamertag but on my emblem it still has my old gamertag on it...: I have an xbox series s and I changed my gamertag to a new one and paid for it, I play Destiny 2 and I can still see the old gamertag on my emblem...My new one isn't showing up...
  9. After changing my gamertag, it still has not updated in the Xbox Console Companion, nor in...

in XBoX on Windows
    After changing my gamertag, it still has not updated in the Xbox Console Companion, nor in...: Heya, As said in the title, I changed my gamertag like a super long time ago (around 2 or 3 months ago) to . Though the xbox console companion app did not show any changes when i went to my...
  10. Gamertag is unique but still has an ID number after

in XBoX on Consoles
    Gamertag is unique but still has an ID number after: Me and my boyfriend wanted to create a gamertag clan sort of thing for the both of us. He came up with what we use in GTA which is HG3 and then our names. When checking if anyone had these...