My external hard drive isn’t letting me play games on my Xbox series S

Discus and support My external hard drive isn’t letting me play games on my Xbox series S in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; My external hard drive is practically brand new! I was trying to play Fortnite yesterday but it won’t even fully load the game up anymore. But my... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by Bee A Peach ✔️, Sep 1, 2022.

1. My external hard drive isn’t letting me play games on my Xbox series S

My external hard drive is practically brand new! I was trying to play Fortnite yesterday but it won’t even fully load the game up anymore. But my external hard drive has been acting up to. When I attempt to load up any games I have on my Xbox on the hard drive it will tell me to reinstall the games or it’s not even fully loaded mind you my hard drive is connected to my Xbox. Is there a possibility my hard drive has gone bad or is the connection with the wire bad? It’s connected to the Xbox consistently and I don’t remove it what should I do? Because is really want to play my games…

:)

Bee A Peach ✔️, Sep 1, 2022
  2. Francia J. Win User

Hi, I hope you're doing great out there. I am an Independent advisor and I am here to help you in regard to your concern.

As I have checked on the Xbox support site: "To play Optimised for Xbox Series X|S titles, games must be installed on the console’s internal SSD (the default install location) or the Seagate Storage Expansion Card for Xbox Series X|S (sold separately). For more info about the Storage Expansion Card" For your reference, you can check this link: https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/hardware-ne...

I have checked the game and it seems like the game is Optimized for Xbox Series X|S consoles. You may need to move the game to your Internal Storage to play the game.
  3. wi7bit Win User

Hi Bee A Peach

Xbox Series optimized games will only work on the internal storage, so would have to be copied there to play them anyway. But if games that are stored on your external hard drive that not optimized and are playing up, then it would sound like it is failing.

How old is the external drive? Hard disc drives (HDD) will fail after a while. Especially if it is old. Time for a new one....
  4. kyle_m4496 Win User

I needing help with expansion hard drive

Hi Jack. My name is Kyle and I'm an independent advisor.

You need an expansion card for most Series X/S titles, as external hard drives are not fast enough to run these games. You can store these games on the hard drive but to play them you'll need to move them to internal storage or an expansion card.

Games from Xbox One or earlier and select Series X/S titles can be stored and played on an external hard drive.
  5. Germangamr91 Win User

Series S wont recognize installed games

I installed them on my old xbox one and transferred them to the external hard drive so I know they are on the hard drive

All my installed games appear correctly as installed on my Xbox one if I connect the hard drive to it. But when I connect the hard drive to my Series S, most of the installed games appear but about 9 of them do not. The missing games appear as ready to install on my Series S
  6. Obsessive Power Win User

External hard drive not working

Hi,

External hard drives are not fast enough for Xbox Series X|S titles. Unfortunately you can't play these games off slow USB external hard drives. They need either be installed internally or to an optional Xbox Series X|S Expansion card.
Thema:

1. My external hard drive isn’t letting me play games on my Xbox series S - Similar Threads - external hard drive

2. External hard drive is confusing.

in XBoX on Consoles
    External hard drive is confusing.: So this is my first post on here and frankly I'm confused. My external hard drive isn't that old but from the very beginning of owning it, it's been weird with actually connecting to my Xbox...
  3. Not being able to play games on external hard drive

in XBoX on Windows
    Not being able to play games on external hard drive: Why can’t I play games on my external hard rice fa80c9e6-2a62-4a8b-93ef-811c874bbf99
  4. XBOX Series S doesn't recognize an External Hard Drive as USB 3.0

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX Series S doesn't recognize an External Hard Drive as USB 3.0: Hi there! I'm having some troubles with my XBOX Series S while trying to configure an external hard drive. According to the console, the device isn't fast enough to work as an external storage. It...
  5. Transfer my game saves from XBOX One to an external hard drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    Transfer my game saves from XBOX One to an external hard drive: Howdy, I want to transfer my old game saves data from my XBOX One onto an external hard drive. I have already formatted an external hard drive (EHD) to use but I can currently only copy the DLC...
  6. New Xbox one S update makes my xbox crash evertime my external hard drive connects

in XBoX on Consoles
    New Xbox one S update makes my xbox crash evertime my external hard drive connects: My WD Black D10 was working fine with my console until the last update. Now when the HD is plugged in, my console makes a freezing noise and shuts down and it keeps repeating in this cycle. There...
  7. What external hard drive can i buy to satisfy the series x games having to be played on the...

in XBoX on Windows
    What external hard drive can i buy to satisfy the series x games having to be played on the...: I believe the external drives have to be spec'd to a certain speed and WD was going to release some. Maybe the WD P10 5TB? Please advise! 4ab85aec-6435-4e57-a47d-37e6f1c38f55
  8. Is the interface that comes up when transferring clips to an external hard drive supposed...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is the interface that comes up when transferring clips to an external hard drive supposed...: When I go to transfer clips to an external drive, it will function for a while and then will all of a sudden close without any indication of it continuing the process. is this supposed too happen...
  9. What's the point of selling external hard drives SPECIFICALLY FOR XBOX SERIES X/S if you...

in XBoX on Consoles
    What's the point of selling external hard drives SPECIFICALLY FOR XBOX SERIES X/S if you...: I bought an external hard drive that was specifically made for Xbox Series X/S. I was told it would allow me to store and be played off of yet that was not true when I attempted to actually play a...
  10. why am i not allowed to just play xbox enhanced games off a external hard drive?

in XBoX on Windows
    why am i not allowed to just play xbox enhanced games off a external hard drive?: if its because "they are enhanced" why not give me a pop up that says "this game will run better if its installed to the internal drive or the expansion card are you sure you wish to play without...