MS flight simulator can't open because it cannot be found. the storage device might be...

Discus and support MS flight simulator can't open because it cannot be found. the storage device might be... in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; For your reference: Case #: 1048563389 Created on: Thursday, January 12, 2023 9:41 AM Description: MS flight simulator can't open because it... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Wolf Web1, Jan 12, 2023.

1. Wolf Web1
    Wolf Web1 Guest

MS flight simulator can't open because it cannot be found. the storage device might be...

For your reference:

Case #: 1048563389

Created on: Thursday, January 12, 2023 9:41 AM

Description: MS flight simulator can't open because it cannot be found. the storage...

It all started Tuesday morning with a message "MS flight simulator can't open because it cannot be found. the storage device might be missing or disconnected."

Since its installed on the c_Drive it can't be disconnected. Day before I used it without any problems and I logged about 100hrs flying time without any problems since installation.

I'm using FS Deluxe DVD Edition, upgraded to the 40th anniversary, and on a PC with W10 Home 22H2. Using Explorer I can see that there are appr, 157 GB in the ../Users/../MSFSPackages directory, which matches nicely with FS installation, so I'm pretty sure MSFS is there somewhere.

Till yesterday lunchtime MSFS was essentially the only program on that PC, but yesterday afternoon I installed Macrium Backup software and Visual Studio 2022.

Unfortunately I don't have a backup of the c-drive, that's why I downloaded and installed Macrium Reflect 8. If I had an up to date image copy I would have restored it and be done with it.

The next day I spent most of my time searching for solutions on the net and FS forums and applied what I thought maybe reasonable, like

Checking Windows updates - its up to date

Reboot - made no difference

Uninstall - reinstall Xbox app - made no difference

Uninstall - reinstall Gaming Services - made no difference

One suggestion was to reset the app - made it worse (the FS icon stopped doing anything)

Some observations: Under Windows Settings - Apps - there is still an entry 'Microsoft Flight Simulator - DVD content 101 GB'

In Xbox Microsoft Flight Simulator shows up as 'owned', but gives only the 'Install' option, clicking on Install it attempts to install 157 GB into c:\Xboxganes which is not the right one.

I logged the problem with flightsimulator/zendesk.com. They came back pretty quick, but apart from offering general troubleshoot advice (which I did without success) suggested to contact Microsoft support, and I'm sure I need some help with it.

I contacted Microsoft support, they checked my PC, but they think its an XBOX problem

So any help is appreciated, my gut feeling after working 40+ years in IT as software developer, is that one of the installation above corrupted FS2020, but how can I check/fix it?

:)

Wolf Web1, Jan 12, 2023
  2. GBINCO96 Win User

Can’t open because it is offline. The storage device might be missing or disconnected.

I am getting this same message after upgrading my CPU 13700k/motherboard/RAM, still on Windows 11. I can open other games, just not MS Flight Simulator.

"Microsoft Flight Simulator can’t open because it is offline. The storage device might be missing or disconnected."

I followed the steps above and it did not resolve my issue. XBOX app wants to install it, though it shows another game in there as already installed and playable (Far Cry 5). Can you please help?
  3. BirgirGudjonsson Win User

Can not redownload Starfield from Windows Store

the error I get when, in the MS store I click to play:

Starfield can’t open because it cannot be found. The storage device might be missing or disconnected.

The drive needed replacement and was removed.

ty

Birgir
  4. bluenose7 Win User

Can't open MS Flight Simulator. Get error message: Microsoft Flight Simulator can’t open because it is offline. The storage device might be missing or disconnected.

Well, I've been playing flight simulator for years and I've never before have experienced this sense of impotence.

I bought fs2020 two months ago, but just to become a real pain in the neck.

It's really a shame that someone who paid for this product is unable to play due to the constant patch installations.

Before, I was able to overpass the installation screen by going offline. Now I can't. One is forced to install the whole pack in order to play. To make matters worse, the installation is terribly slow or loops once and again. I really feel discouraged, and
    I would be grateful to someone who would give me a solution. . .

Sorry I can't help you, only saw it's the most related issue to mine.
    Sorry to hear that you're having a rough time with MSFS20. Before this glitch happened I was v. happy with the new sim ... and am now just going for a partical reinstall and update.

Good luck -- it's worth persevering with IMO
  5. AngelK63 Win User

Can't open MS Flight Simulator. Get error message: Microsoft Flight Simulator can’t open because it is offline. The storage device might be missing or disconnected.

Well, I've been playing flight simulator for years and I've never before have experienced this sense of impotence.

I bought fs2020 two months ago, but just to become a real pain in the neck.

It's really a shame that someone who paid for this product is unable to play due to the constant patch installations.

Before, I was able to overpass the installation screen by going offline. Now I can't. One is forced to install the whole pack in order to play. To make matters worse, the installation is terribly slow or loops once and again. I really feel discouraged, and
    I would be grateful to someone who would give me a solution. . .

Sorry I can't help you, only saw it's the most related issue to mine.
  6. Jermaine_Sanchez Win User

Microsoft Flight Simulator can’t open because it is offline. The storage device might be missing or disconnected.

This is what worked for me. If you have MFS installed in another drive other than C:\, say D:\, then do the following;

Go to settings > system > storage > "change where new content is saved", then change where new apps are saved to the same drive you have MFS installed, in the case of our example it
    would be from 'Windows (C:)' to '(D:)'.

Hope that helps. Cheers!
Thema:

1. MS flight simulator can't open because it cannot be found. the storage device might be... - Similar Threads - flight simulator can't

2. Unable to launch Microsoft Flight Simulator from MS Store / Xbox app

in XBoX on Consoles
    Unable to launch Microsoft Flight Simulator from MS Store / Xbox app: I recently bought "Microsoft Flight Simulator" on Amazon, with an activation key on the Microsoft Store, but cannot seem to get it to run. System details Windows 11, Version 23H2 (OS Build...
  3. Play flight simulator using joystick and thrust block

in XBoX Accessibility
    Play flight simulator using joystick and thrust block: Dear all, it is possible, to connect flight - specific hardware, e.g. a thrustmaster joystick and a thrustmaster thrust block, to the xbox for playing flight simulator? Thanks, Oli...
  4. Problem with installing Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 11

in XBoX on Windows
    Problem with installing Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 11: I have had the flight simulator premium deluxe 40th anniversary game since December 2023. It is installed on the xbox series x console and works fine. I installed it on Windows 10 with the Xbox...
  5. Installing MS Flight Simulator on Win 11 PC

in XBoX on Windows
    Installing MS Flight Simulator on Win 11 PC: Hi - I purchase a copy of MS Flight Simulator from CDKeys and redeemed it in Microsoft Store. I have tried to find how I install it with no success. I am completely new to XBox (App) on my PC and...
  6. Can't activate "fly" icon on Microsoft Flight Simulator

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't activate "fly" icon on Microsoft Flight Simulator: Recently purchased XBOX series X, Microsoft Flight Simulator Premium Deluxe 40th edition and Velocity One hardware. When I boot up the simulator it tells me that I am on line and signed in, but...
  7. Why can't I install "MS Flight Simulator Standard 40th Anniversary Edition - Xbox Series...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why can't I install "MS Flight Simulator Standard 40th Anniversary Edition - Xbox Series...: I purchased "MS Flight Simulator Standard 40th Anniversary Edition - Xbox Series X/S and Windows" from my local Gamestop store on Cyber Monday. Redeemed it successfully with Product Code at bottom...
  8. Why can't I play Microsoft Flight Simulator with Cloud Streaming on my Xbox One?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why can't I play Microsoft Flight Simulator with Cloud Streaming on my Xbox One?: I have Game Pass Ultimate but instead of giving me the option to play the game with Cloud Streaming it says that it's installable and that I can manage the game. But when I press the manage button...
  9. I can't start flying to Microsoft Flight Simulator On xbox series s

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I can't start flying to Microsoft Flight Simulator On xbox series s: Microsoft flight simulator says that I don't have an offline world installed, although it is installed 70b18f84-8fe2-4324-8054-be26a3d2d149
  10. I can't install my flight simulator

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I can't install my flight simulator: I deleted the application from my flight simulator because I can't play on my computer, what should I do? my email is : *** Die E-Mail-Adresse wurde aus Datenschutzgründen entfernt. ***...