Move Xbox account from parent Microsoft account to child’s (now adult's) account

Discus and support Move Xbox account from parent Microsoft account to child’s (now adult's) account in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; When my son got his Xbox he was a child and used my email address to set up the account, He is now an adult and understandably! would like his account... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by Fowlers21, Sep 7, 2022.

1. Fowlers21
    Fowlers21 Guest

Move Xbox account from parent Microsoft account to child’s (now adult's) account

When my son got his Xbox he was a child and used my email address to set up the account, He is now an adult and understandably! would like his account not to be linked to my email address, however he does not want to lose all the progress he has saved over the years. I imagine lots of people ask this, can we change it?

:)

Fowlers21, Sep 7, 2022
  2. DangerousBard Win User

How to bypass parental account thing.

Xbox Live determines whether an account is a child account or an adult account based on the age of the account owner. Child accounts are tied to an adult's Microsoft account.

After you reach the age of adulthood (which varies by country and region), you can promote a child account to an adult account. This promotion can be done only from the parent's account
  3. Francia J. Win User

Hi, I hope you're doing great out there. I am an Independent advisor and I am here to help you in regard to your concern.

There is no option to move an Xbox profile but you can change the primary alias of your Microsft account which is where your Xbox profile is linked.

There are just some reminders from Microsoft themselves: "Warning When removing an email alias that’s connected to a Microsoft domain (such as @Outlook.com, @Live.com, or @Hotmail.com), that email is completely deleted from our systems and can’t be used to send or receive emails. It won’t be available for use again as an alias on another account. Microsoft doesn’t recycle email addresses, so it can’t be reclaimed at a future time."

Make sure to set a Microsoft account as an alias first before making any changes because that may cause the deletion of your Microsoft account along with the Xbox profile.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/account-pro...
  4. ArminatorX Win User

Best way to gift a used Xbox 360?

It's great that you want to make such an amazing gift for your friend's grandson.

While others already described how to remove your account, please help your friend make an account for himself (an adult account), and a separate (child) account for his grandson.

Some (grand) parents make the mistake of using their own adult email account and let the kid play with that.

However, by using their own adult account for the kid, the kid is regarded as an adult for the console, and the parent is unable to prevent the kid from talking to internet strangers for example, or limit the playtime. Also, this prevents the kid from going
    on an (accidental) shopping spree, and buying stuff from the Xbox Marketplace with the parent's credit card or bank account.

So please advise your friend, that when they create an account for his grandchild, that he (or the father of the kid) should create their own adult Microsoft Account and then a separate child account (by giving the kid's actual birthdate during account creation).

After the child account is created, the parent should then go to
    https://account.microsoft.com/family
    and add the child account to their family.

That way, the parent can set permissions and privacy options to make the Xbox a safe place to play.

Additionally, this avoids later issues, where the kid would be able to access the parent's email or other Microsoft Services, if the parents let the kid play on their account. Later, you can't move the kid's gaming account away from the parent email account,
    without the parent's Microsoft Account being deleted.
  5. Vorpal1986 Win User

Unlinking an email/parental email

So, if I understand, you account is an child account and you want to unlink your parent's account from yours? Unfortunately, child account are not allowed to be managed without and adult account attached, you can ask yours parent's (adult account owner)
    to contact support and ask for a change of adult account, re-alocating the child account to another MSA adult
  6. Internet Expert Win User

Cannot pre-order Destiny Rise of Iron on a teen account

If your account is a "child account", and is associated with a "parent/adult account", you may likely be restricted from making various purchases on the Xbox Store.

There also may be settings (that the parent/adult account may only modify) that can restrict the child account from accessing content based on the ESRB rating.

I'd check in with the owner of the parent/adult account to see if they can help you pre-order Rise of Iron.
Thema:

1. Move Xbox account from parent Microsoft account to child’s (now adult's) account - Similar Threads - Move account parent

2. I accidently redeemed a Xbox gift card on the wrong xbox account. How can I move it to the...

in XBoX on Windows
    I accidently redeemed a Xbox gift card on the wrong xbox account. How can I move it to the...: I accidently redeemed a Xbox gift card on the wrong xbox account. How can I move it to the right account? 59b4a262-5d54-40c0-ad9a-8d6c536af48f
  3. How to move child account to new parent account?

in XBoX Accessibility
    How to move child account to new parent account?: When setting up my son (5) Microsoft account for Minecraft I didn't realize I had 2 Microsoft accounts and now he is set up to the wrong account. How do I fix this?...
  4. Trying to move a minor when the original parent is no longer on the account.

in XBoX Accessibility
    Trying to move a minor when the original parent is no longer on the account.: We're trying to move a child from one family account to another. (Hint to product owner: children with divorced parents have a 1:n family relationship not 1:1). Only the parent who put the child...
  5. How to move a child's Xbox gamer tag off the parent account?

in XBoX Accessibility
    How to move a child's Xbox gamer tag off the parent account?: My son is now 18 going off to college and his Xbox is still linked to my parent account. He needs his own Microsoft account but wants to keep his gamer tag. How do we do this?...
  6. Move Xbox account from parent Microsoft account to child’s account

in XBoX on Consoles
    Move Xbox account from parent Microsoft account to child’s account: Hi. When I originally set up the xbox for my son I used my own MS account. I now wish to move his games, gamer tag etc to his MS account without him losing his games, his xbox live and the...
  7. My Xbox account needs to be modified to move my child from Parent to a Family member

in XBoX Accessibility
    My Xbox account needs to be modified to move my child from Parent to a Family member: I need to monitor my son's activity on Xbox but his account is set up as a parent account and needs to be shifted over to a family member (Child) account without losing all of his Fortnite gaming...
  8. is there a way to move gaming data from a parent account to a child account?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    is there a way to move gaming data from a parent account to a child account?: My son has been using my account for his games for years. Since he is older now, his info should be on his account not mine. Is there a way to move gaming data from a parent account to a child...
  9. How do I move parent settings to child account, or create a new parent...

in XBoX on Consoles
    How do I move parent settings to child account, or create a new parent...: I just learned that Microsoft (finally) implemented time limits for Xbox usage. I would like to set this up for my child. I've created a child account he can use, and set up the restrictions I...
  10. Move Gold from parent account to child account

in XBoX on Consoles
    Move Gold from parent account to child account: Whilst setting up live on our Xbox, the idiot child redeemed his Christmas present Gold membership against my Live account. Is there any way to move this onto his Live account?...