Minecraft Java launcher won't work on Windows 8.1, says driver isn't compatible with OpenGL

Discus and support Minecraft Java launcher won't work on Windows 8.1, says driver isn't compatible with OpenGL in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, I have recently reinstalled 8.1 and downloaded the Minecraft launcher but whenever I try to play, it tells me that my drivers aren't compatible... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by EdenGamer1, Dec 15, 2021.

1. EdenGamer1
    EdenGamer1 Guest

Minecraft Java launcher won't work on Windows 8.1, says driver isn't compatible with OpenGL

Hello, I have recently reinstalled 8.1 and downloaded the Minecraft launcher but whenever I try to play, it tells me that my drivers aren't compatible with OpenGL.

Can someone help me? Thanks!

(And yes, the Windows 8.1 I used to take the picture has a Windows 7 look-and-feel.)

Minecraft Java launcher won't work on Windows 8.1, says driver isn't compatible with OpenGL [​IMG]

:)

EdenGamer1, Dec 15, 2021
  2. Christopher Revoredo Win User

I suggest you try these basic troubleshooting steps!

Open Settings, click Update and Security and then Windows Update;

Click Check for Updates;

Click the Download and Install Now option, if available;

Also, check the Microsoft Store for any updates on the Xbox apps and its services.

Then try this:

Go to windows settings > apps > search for gaming services app > click on it and select advanced options.

After that, click repair and then restore, open the app and try again.

Then do the same for the Xbox app:

Go to windows settings > apps > search for Xbox app > click on it and select advanced options.

After that, click repair and then restore, open the app and try again.

If it still doesn't work you're going to uninstall the games services using a powershell command, then you're going to open the gamepass app, it will ask you to download and install the game services again :

In the windows search bar type Powershell > Right click and select open as administrator > Type the command: "get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-Appxpackage –allusers" > Wait for the process to finish and then restart the PC, then open your Xbox gamepass app, it will ask you to install the gaming services again, install it and try again.
  3. Farscape247 Win User

you need to go to the manufacturer site and download the latest graphics drivers for your machine.
  4. EdenGamer1 Win User

My system requirements:

RAM: 16.0 GB

Processor: Intel Core i7-8700

File Size: 48.6 GB used

Hopefully this is good enough!
  5. Christopher Revoredo Win User

Hi there Eden welcome to the community forum! Christopher here, an Xbox fan just like you and has been on Xbox for years already. I would really love to make your day by helping you out. What are your specs? Here are the official specs for Minecraft, but some say 1.18 is a bit heavier.

Minecraft system requirements

Memory: 8 GB

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R7 360

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690

File Size: 4 GB

Minecraft minimum requirements

Memory: 2 GB

Graphics Card: Intel HD 4000

CPU: Intel Core i3-3210

File Size: 1 GB

6. Kyle Hulton Win User

Is Windows 8.1 good for gaming in Intel HD 3000 ?

I'd probably push to Windows 10; Windows 8.1 left Microsoft's Support Lifecycle in January this year, which means you'll find it will be getting left behind on a lot of software that leans on using web-based launchers, as Windows 7/8 and 8.1 stopped getting updates for things like Chrome, Microsoft Edge etc. in January.

Your issue of not being able to play games OpenGL games is likely to be driver issue. Windows 10 can automatically get a driver for the Intel HD 3000 through Windows update which should allow you to play OpenGL games.

From personal experience, I am able to play Minecraft on a 2011 MacBook Pro with a core i5 running Windows 10 that also has the Intel HD 3000, I'm not sure about much more demanding titles like Valorant as I haven't played those. But I can say that the OpenGL issues shouldn't be present.
Thema:

1. Minecraft Java launcher won't work on Windows 8.1, says driver isn't compatible with OpenGL - Similar Threads - Minecraft Java launcher

2. Problem with Minecraft: Bedrock & Java Edition and Minecraft Launcher

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Problem with Minecraft: Bedrock & Java Edition and Minecraft Launcher: Hello, I have recently tried to buy Minecraft Java and Bedrock edition, but the download process is taking too long. I also tried to start up the Minecraft Launcher, but it showed this: "error...
  3. I can't open Minecraft Launcher, which leads to me not being able to run Minecraft Java....

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I can't open Minecraft Launcher, which leads to me not being able to run Minecraft Java....: Even though I own it, Xbox still gives me the option of buying/installing it. If I try on the app, it gives me an error with no specifications, and if I try on the browser, it just reloads and...
  4. Hi in Minecraft Java when I change my skin in the launcher it doesn't change and stays as...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Hi in Minecraft Java when I change my skin in the launcher it doesn't change and stays as...: I tried signing in and signing out, re-installing the launcher and none of them seem to be working. b389d308-b0cb-4a02-be0a-a8da0bb3b810
  5. I bought Minecraft Deluxe, which includes Java and Bedrock, but the Java Launcher only...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I bought Minecraft Deluxe, which includes Java and Bedrock, but the Java Launcher only...: I bought Minecraft Deluxe Collection from the Windows Store for my son, and got some other version of Minecraft (Windows edition?). But the launcher I downloaded from 3 different attempts always...
  6. I bought Minecraft Java and Bedrock Edition on Minecraft Launcher and now I can't play...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I bought Minecraft Java and Bedrock Edition on Minecraft Launcher and now I can't play...: I bought Minecraft Java and Bedrock Edition on Minecraft Launcher and now I can't play Bedrock Edition anywhere else. 96409300-d860-4b60-9687-f3bb66d72939
  7. Minecraft Java edition not showing in launcher

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Minecraft Java edition not showing in launcher: I purchased minecraft java edition when it was still Mojang back in 2020. With the new Microsoft launcher the game doesn't show up as purchased. Any idea how I can fix this?...
  8. Minecraft launcher is failing to open Java

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Minecraft launcher is failing to open Java: Everytime i attempt to open minecraft java edition, this message pops up Unable to locate the Java runtime. Error details: 0x00000000 - system: The operation completed successfully. Filename on...
  9. How can I remotely force-sign out someone from the Java Minecraft Launcher?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How can I remotely force-sign out someone from the Java Minecraft Launcher?: So my friend somehow received access to my Minecraft account, but he refuses to sign-out. I have tried to get him to screenshare him signing out, and he removed the account from the launcher and...
  10. I just bought Minecraft for Java and bedrock. When I go into the launcher and try to launch...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I just bought Minecraft for Java and bedrock. When I go into the launcher and try to launch...: I just bought it and I want to play. I’ve read multiple support from here and looked up videos and nothing is working. I’ve tried everything everyone said. Deleting it, repairing it, restarting my...