Microsoft Store/Xbox App completely broken

Discus and support Microsoft Store/Xbox App completely broken in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; When I tried to open the Xbox app it was stuck on the loading screen with the Xbox icon. I tried a repair/reset which didn't fix the issue, so I... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by NicholasDesRoches, Mar 21, 2023.

1. Microsoft Store/Xbox App completely broken

When I tried to open the Xbox app it was stuck on the loading screen with the Xbox icon. I tried a repair/reset which didn't fix the issue, so I uninstalled the app. Now I can't install Xbox (or any other apps) from the Microsoft store: there is a flashing empty button (looks like it's loading) where the install button should be. All my previously installed game pass games are broken: I can still see the .exe files but they won't launch even directly. My main concern is the games themselves but it does look like the Xbox app and Microsoft Store overall are broken for me.

Gaming Services also seems to be having a lot of issues. It was trying to update in the Store but couldn't because it said it was running. I ended it from Task Manager and that seemed to fix it. Whenever I try to open an already installed game from the Microsoft Store (it sees that they're installed) it doesn't open and redirects me to the Gaming Services page.

I've tried:

- Restarting PC

- Resinstalling Microsoft Store from the command line (then restarting)

- Reinstalling all default apps from the command line (gave me some errors for some things that were in use, not sure it fully worked but it seemed to successfully reinstall most things)

- Troubleshooter (didn't detect any problems)

- Standalone Xbox App Installer (stopped about 1/4 of the way through the installation and closed without warning)

- Updating to the latest Windows 10 version

- Signing out of the Microsoft Store then back in (crashed when I signed out, no change after)

I really don't want to do a full system reset; is there anything else I should try?

Update: after another restart games are launching if opened directly but all the other issues mentioned are still the same.

:)

NicholasDesRoches, Mar 21, 2023
  2. Sealz Win User

I FIXED IT YALL! I had the exact problem and used this article to fix it.

https://www.makeuseof.com/microsoft-store-missing-install-button/

"6. Restart the Microsoft Store Service:

Press Win + R to bring up a Run dialog.
    Type services.msc and press Enter.
    Find and open Microsoft Store Install Services.
    If the service is already running, click Stop > Start to restart it.
    Restart your computer and check if the Install button is now available"

This fixed my store and xbox apps.
  3. EldonOlmstead1 Win User

I just reinstalled windows 11 and the problem persists. However, I created a new account on my machine and tried starting xbox there and it works fine. This is a Microsoft account problem of some kind.
  4. Geri M. Win User

Hello AnthonyTok,

It seems like we have exhausted already most of the troubleshooting steps for this issue.

Let us try this for the last options.

Solution 1: https://support.xbox.com/help/Hardware-Network/connect-network/format-flash-drive-to-ntfs-windows

Solution 2: Reset Windows 10/11 store & Xbox app

1. Open Settings.

2. Go to Apps -> Apps & features.

3. Look for Microsoft Store/Xbox App and click it on the right side.

4. The advanced options link will appear. Click it

5. Next, click on the Reset button to reset Microsoft Store/Xbox App to the default setting.

Solution 3: Try reinstalling the Gaming Services package on your Windows 10 device:

1. Right-click the Start button in the lower-left corner of the main screen, and then select Windows PowerShell (Admin).

2. In the Administrator: Windows PowerShell screen, type the following command and press Enter:

Get-AppxPackage *gamingservices* -allusers | remove-appxpackage -allusers

3. Wait for the process to finish and then restart the PC and try again.

Solution 4: Play games offline on Windows 10 using Offline mode; this error could also be attributed to issues with the Microsoft store not recognizing your entitlement to the game. Would you please click on this link Play games offline on Windows 10 using Offline mode | Xbox Support. Then scroll down and click on the drop-down arrow and look at the steps for How to enable offline play on your device.

If still all these options do not work, we recommend you submit a bug or feedback.

Submitting a bug through the Xbox App

1. Navigate to the top right of the application and select your Gamer pic icon
    2. Select "Feedback" in the drop-down menu
    3. Select "Report a problem."
    4. Click "Give new feedback."
    5. Add [Xbox Forum] in "Summarize your feedback," followed by feedback summary.
    6. The category should automatically be selected.
    Once complete, post the title of the bug report along with the submission date in this thread.

If you have other concerns, you can create a new post here. Create a new question or start a discussion (microsoft.com)

Sincerely,

Xbox Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community
  5. MediaproducerCH Win User

I'm having exactly the same issue. tried everything to fix this. nothing helped so far :-(

on another windows machine (same setup, same account) it works all fine
  6. CarTzy Win User

Hello!

We haven't heard from you in 72 hours, so we assume that your issue has already been resolved. We will not be monitoring this thread moving forward so, if you need further assistance, please create a new thread to discuss these concerns by clicking this link: Microsoft Community.
Thema:

1. Microsoft Store/Xbox App completely broken - Similar Threads - Microsoft Store App

2. xbox app & microsoft store greyed out

in XBoX on Windows
    xbox app & microsoft store greyed out: xbox app & microsoft store greyed out, tried everything true cmd, powershell & win repair a93c398d-29d8-4a82-a8a8-61812bc600ab
  3. Unable to launch Microsoft Flight Simulator from MS Store / Xbox app

in XBoX on Consoles
    Unable to launch Microsoft Flight Simulator from MS Store / Xbox app: I recently bought "Microsoft Flight Simulator" on Amazon, with an activation key on the Microsoft Store, but cannot seem to get it to run. System details Windows 11, Version 23H2 (OS Build...
  4. Error 0x80070005 when attempting to install the Xbox App from Microsoft Store

in XBoX on Windows
    Error 0x80070005 when attempting to install the Xbox App from Microsoft Store: I've tried multiple times on different days after restarts etc. Anytime I attempt to install the Xbox app I receive error 0x80070005 after the app downloads I'm running windows 10 Pro and there...
  5. Trying to reinstall Xbox app through Microsoft store after having to delete it but it just...

in XBoX on Windows
    Trying to reinstall Xbox app through Microsoft store after having to delete it but it just...: Hi, Microsoft community, awhile back I had to delete my Xbox app to fix one of my games from stuttering. It has been a couple of months, and I want to re-download the Xbox app to buy Game Pass and...
  6. Xbox App stuck on logo and Microsoft Store not downloading Minecraft Launcher

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox App stuck on logo and Microsoft Store not downloading Minecraft Launcher: I've been trying to install Minecraft for hours now. The Microsoft store will not download the game ir the launcher and I cannot open the xbox app either. I have tried: 1. Uninstalling and...
  7. Microsoft store will not download or update apps.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Microsoft store will not download or update apps.: My overall goal is to be able to install Minecraft I can click install from the Microsoft store page, but it just loads for 10ish seconds and goes back to a blue install button. I went to the...
  8. Roblox wont open in Microsoft store and also in Xbox app

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Roblox wont open in Microsoft store and also in Xbox app: Description of the problem: When I click to open it, a window appears with a white background and the roblox symbol in the middle and after a few seconds it closes. When I tried to open roblox...
  9. 0x87e0000f error when attempting to install a game pass game from Xbox app or Microsoft Store

in XBoX on Windows
    0x87e0000f error when attempting to install a game pass game from Xbox app or Microsoft Store: Whenever I try to install a game pass game from xbox app or windows store it gets to about 60% before stopping the download with nothing but "error code: 0x87e0000f". I've been looking all day for...
  10. Xbox App, microsoft store and games incredibly slow to start

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox App, microsoft store and games incredibly slow to start: Hi iv been having an issue with my windows 10 pc. I have the xbox app loaded onto my pc to run the gamepass games. About a week ago the xbox app and the microsoft store started taking forever to...