Merging Existing XBox Profile With New XBox Live Account/Profile

Discus and support Merging Existing XBox Profile With New XBox Live Account/Profile in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; My daughter has an existing account on our XBox, as does my son. Last year I created an XBox live account for my son and everything appeared to work... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Semaj31273, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Semaj31273
    Semaj31273 Guest

My daughter has an existing account on our XBox, as does my son. Last year I created an XBox live account for my son and everything appeared to work correctly - his gamertag shows up as an XBox Live account and the account was intact.

I recently tried to do the same for my daughter, but have ended up with
    two profiles on my XBox with the same gamertag(!)
    . The original one is intact, but is not associated with XBox Live, and the new one has no gamerscore, customizations, etc. but
    is an XBox Live account.

So, how can I merge these two together so that I have a single profile on the XBox that contains all existing score/achivements/customizations/etc. and is an XBox live account?

I read an earlier post from 2012 about moving saves, etc. that said to simply move stuff between storage devices, but this sounds
    iffy to me. We would prefer not to lose existing stuff just for the sake of having an XBox Live account.

Thanks!

Peace!

:)

Semaj31273, Jan 6, 2014
  2. SeanF68
    SeanF68 Guest
    Changing Live Account

Here's the situation - I have a Microsoft Live account that was created many years ago, and somehow has an XBox gamertag associated with it even though we never had an XBox. I have an XBox 360 with a profile on it that has no associated Live account. I want
    to use that existing Live account with the existing XBox profile.

From reading the websites, I gather that what I need to do is use a temporary Live account - I downloaded the existing Live account with its gamertag onto my XBox, and I created a throw-away Live account. The plan was to change the downloaded XBox profile
    from the existing Live account to the throw-away account, thereby freeing up the existing Live account. I could then connect my existing XBox profile to the existing Live account.

However, when I try to change the downloaded profile from the existing Live account to the new throw-away account, it fails, saying it cannot change the Live account at this time.

What am I doing wrong?

SeanF68, Jan 6, 2014
  3. kevin
    kevin Guest
    How to Download, Move or Delete Xbox Live Profiles

You need to download, move or delete your Xbox Live profile in certain circumstances. If you want to play on multiple consoles of your own or of your friends, you will have to download or move your Xbox Live profile from one console to another.

In addition, you might need to download the Xbox Live profile for the following reasons:

• You deleted you Xbox live profile by mistake.
    • You need to use your Xbox LIVE gamertag on another console.
    • You want to use your existing Zune or Games for Windows account instead of creating a new account.

You can also move your profile to the other consoles using a USB flash drive.

How to download Your Xbox Live Profile

You can easily download your Xbox Live gamertag to a console by following a few easy steps:

• Press the larger X button in the center of your controller which will lead you to the Xbox Guide.
    • Select Download Profile to start download. If your do not find this option, sign out of your profile by pressing X.
    Enter the user ID of your Microsoft account (Windows Live ID) which is associated with your Xbox Live gamertag and then enter the password. Select the desired storage drive to save the profile.

Note: A Microsoft account is essential for signing in to any Microsoft services like Xbox Live. You have to provide your parent’s Microsoft account information to download the profile if your account is an Xbox Live child account.

You can save your "Microsoft account" password on the console, so that you don't need to provide it to sign into your profile again. The Remember Password option is off by default. It is better to save the password on your own console not to be asked to enter the password again and again at the time of singing into your profile. If you are using a console that is not yours, you may want to leave the Remember Password option off (unchecked).

Now you should be able to sign in with your gamertag on the console.

**If per chance you did opt to check the Remember Password option on someone else's console, your password can be remotely removed off of that console. Check out How to Password Protect your Profile on Xbox Live.**

How to move your profile to another console

You can easily move your profile to another console using a USB flash drive or Xbox Memory unit following these steps:
    • First off, plug a USB flash drive or an original Xbox 360 Memory Unit into your console.
    • Go to the Settings option to select storage and then select All Devices.
    • Select Gamer Profiles and Press Move.
    • You need to select the USB Storage Device or Memory Unit
    After performing the above successfully, remove the memory unit or USB flash drive and insert it into the console on which you want to move your profile. You are required to enter your Microsoft account password which ensures the security of your account.

After playing on another console, if you want to move it to previous console, remove the USB flash drive or Memory unit and take it back to the original console and repeat the steps above.

**You will be asked for your Microsoft account password when you move your profile to a different console. This is to protect you and your account if the device is ever stolen. If you want to find out more, check out How to Password Protect your Profile on Xbox Live.**

How to delete a gamer profile

You can delete unused profiles following few steps:

• Go to Settings to select system.
    • Select Storage
    • Go to All Devices and select Gamer Profiles.
    • Select the gamertag that you want to delete.
    • Press delete.
    Note: You can delete the profiles only or you can delete both the profiles and items (the associated saved games and achievements).

kevin, Jan 6, 2014
  4. Merging Existing XBox Profile With New XBox Live Account/Profile

Hey there

Welcome to the support forums

After looking on the support section of this website, I have found some articles that might be able to help with your question. However it is about managing your Xbox Live Profile and editing it. Please follow the link bellow

support.xbox.com/.../profile-move-delete

As for moving your games, I am not too sure you can do this as it would be registered to the gamertag that created the file. The only thing I can think of is a Licence Transfer, however this is for moving files between two Xboxes. Not between two Gamertags.

Is this what you meant?

Please get back to me as soon as you can, i hope the link helped you a bit. If you still have the article that said you could move data between two gamertags, please post the link on here and I will read and try and help you with it.

Regards,

Nathan Roberts (SunkNath), Jan 6, 2014
  5. Semaj31273
    Semaj31273 Guest
    I originally tried what was shown on that link when I created the XBox live account - that is how I get into this situation in the first place: after downloading the profile, I ended with two profiles with the same Gamertag. One is on the hard drive, the
    other is on the removable storage. There is no need to move games - I just want the XBox Live account associated with the correct gamer profile (the first one).

A better question to ask is what is the correct way to create an XBox Live account
    for an existing XBox console profile. I can easily create another email address for my daughter to register under if that is easier, we can abandon this current account that is fulblungered (it is worth $10 of my time to rename this new one to make
    the gamertag available again).

I will try to find that original article again.

Thanks!

Peace!

Semaj31273, Jan 6, 2014
  6. Natlad74
    Natlad74 Guest
    I'm in the exact same boat!!! My son got an XBOX 360 for Xmas. We both created our local (offline) XBOX profiles and started playing offline. I was able to promote my profile to XBOX Live since I am an adult (though my wife would try to convince you otherwise).
    When I try to promote his profile to XBOX Live on the console, it tells me that I must create his account on the website. If I do that, I cannot link his local (offline) profile to his newly created XBOX Live profile. I'm interested to see if anyone posts
    a solution. In the meantime, I'll keep digging.

Natlad74, Jan 6, 2014
  7. Mr Hips
    Mr Hips Guest
    Have you been able to determine how to fix this? I just set up my son's live account and have the same issue with needing to merge profiles or correctly link them.

Mr Hips, Feb 17, 2014
  8. Merging Existing XBox Profile With New XBox Live Account/Profile

Hey there,

Thanks for the reply

If you are an offline user, you should just be able to click onto the Join Xbox Live button. This should take you through all of the process of upgrading their account to an Xbox Live Account. However, I do not think you can merge profiles with each other?

Regards

Nathan Roberts (SunkNath), Feb 17, 2014
  9. Hi SunkNath, You must be an adult, because if you had kids you'd know that the join xbox live does not work for kids. Xbox still has no solution for parents? I am concerned because the dashboard has age inappropriate ads if you have a local offline xbox
    profile. and only if you are online with xbox live account does the privacy and online settings of the child actually kick in to show age appropriate ad content.

CaptainCompute, May 19, 2014
  10. Yes!!! I'm in the exact same boat, also!!! My son got an XBOX 360. We both created our local (offline) XBOX profiles and started playing offline. I was able to promote my profile to XBOX Live since I am an adult. When I try to promote his profile to XBOX
    Live on the console, it tells me that I must create his account on the website. After I did that, I cannot link his local (offline) profile to his newly created XBOX Live profile.

Is there some type of answer where my son doesn't loose all saved game data?

MarquezAnthony, Jun 9, 2014
  11. Bozacksmith
    Bozacksmith Guest
    We are just now having this exact same issue. After a few years we feel our kids can now go online with XBOX live with parental controls but there is no way to migrate an existing profile.

What a load of BS, I get the same issues everyone else reports that you go to the child's existing profile and choose join XBOX live to only get it is associated with another profile.

yet other topics suggest you are able to take an offline profile and "promote" it to an online one. Seems like the only way to "promote" a child's offline account is to lie when signing up for a new XBOX live account when it asks for their age.

Bozacksmith, Jul 8, 2014
  12. Alariaria.
    Alariaria. Guest
    Hi there Bozacksmith,

Seems like the issue you are having is promoting your child's account to an adults account. If I am wrong about your issue however feel free to correct me.

Promote an account from child to adult on Xbox 360

Age is determined by the date of birth on the Xbox Live account. Once a person turns 18, he or she can follow the steps here to promote their account.

1. On your Xbox 360 console, sign in to Xbox Live using the account that you want to change.
    2. Go to Settings and select Account.
    3. In the Your Information panel, select Promote Child Account.

Note “Promote Child Account” will only be available if the date of birth for the account indicates that you have reached adult age for your country or region.
    4. If you’re prompted to sign out of a current game session, select Yes.
    5. On the “Promote your current Xbox Live child account to an adult account” screen, select Continue.
    Steps 6 through 9 apply only to accounts that are currently billed to a credit or debit card. If your account has a prepaid subscription, go to step 10.

1. On the “To promote your account, replace the credit card that is associated with the account with a new card or payment method” screen, select Continue.

Note The same credit card can be used again. However, the credit card details must be re-entered.
    2. Enter the name, credit card type, credit card number, expiration date, and verification code for the replacement credit card, and then select Next.
    3. Enter the billing address, city, state, and postal code for your credit card, and then select Next.
    4. Verify your contact information, and then select Done.
    5. Accept the Xbox Live Terms of Use and the Privacy Statement.
    6. On the “Your Xbox Live account is now an adult account” screen, select Done.

Note If your Xbox Live account doesn’t change to an adult account, try signing out and then signing back in.

And as always it is much easier to create a new thread detailing your problems so that you can receive the support you deserve.

Alariaria., Jul 9, 2014
  13. OKGray
    OKGray Guest

I can't believe there is no solution to this problem. Just to be clear (because it seems that some are still confused about exactly what the problem is), if you have an existing offline profile, and would like to "Join Xbox Live" with it, you can, as long
    as it's an adult profile. If it's for a kid, you must authorize their email account on xbox.com (on a PC), do the whole charge-your-credit-card-.50-song-and-dance, which automatically associates the email address to a new, blank profile/gamertag. When you
    attempt to use this now-authorized email account as the email address for the existing profile with (14000 gamer points) on the actual Xbox 360, it tells you "it's already associated with another gamertag, and now you are stuck.

In a word, there is no way to use an email address for a kid's Live account that hasn't been "authorized" on xbox.com, but once that is complete, it's permanently associated with a fresh gamertag, so can never be associated with the existing profile your
    kid has been building offline for 4 years.

You try telling your 10 year old that his 14000 gamer points, savegames, and achievements now mean nothing. It's just so amazing that with the thousands of times this scenario must have played out that there is apparently no way to remedy this.

I guess if I lied my way through the account creation stuff I might be able to get it done by letting my kid have an illegitimate adult account. That's not exactly putting child safety first. It's just pathetic.

OKGray, Oct 31, 2018
  14. ngocphi Win User

Created Live-Account via Computer - Can't connect to it via Xbox

you need to recover the other account

no the profiles cannot be merged nothing can be transfered

to promote an account you have to join xbox live on the profile and make a new account not use an existing account
  15. ngocphi Win User

Connect existing xbox live account to existing xbox 360 profile

you can only recover a xbox live profile

profiles cannot be merged

you can either join xbox live via the existing profile or recover your existing xbox live profile
  16. WPAK Win User

join existing local profile to existing live account?

Hi there,

-

No, you can't merge a local profile with an already existing Xbox Live account, it is only possible to 'upgrade' that local profile to a new Xbox Live account. If you want to do that see the steps on this link:

support.xbox.com/.../offline-profile-to-gamertag
  17. Alariaria. Win User

Hi there Bozacksmith,

Seems like the issue you are having is promoting your child's account to an adults account. If I am wrong about your issue however feel free to correct me.

Promote an account from child to adult on Xbox 360

Age is determined by the date of birth on the Xbox Live account. Once a person turns 18, he or she can follow the steps here to promote their account.

1. On your Xbox 360 console, sign in to Xbox Live using the account that you want to change.
    2. Go to Settings and select Account.
    3. In the Your Information panel, select Promote Child Account.

Note “Promote Child Account” will only be available if the date of birth for the account indicates that you have reached adult age for your country or region.
    4. If you’re prompted to sign out of a current game session, select Yes.
    5. On the “Promote your current Xbox Live child account to an adult account” screen, select Continue.
    Steps 6 through 9 apply only to accounts that are currently billed to a credit or debit card. If your account has a prepaid subscription, go to step 10.

1. On the “To promote your account, replace the credit card that is associated with the account with a new card or payment method” screen, select Continue.

Note The same credit card can be used again. However, the credit card details must be re-entered.
    2. Enter the name, credit card type, credit card number, expiration date, and verification code for the replacement credit card, and then select Next.
    3. Enter the billing address, city, state, and postal code for your credit card, and then select Next.
    4. Verify your contact information, and then select Done.
    5. Accept the Xbox Live Terms of Use and the Privacy Statement.
    6. On the “Your Xbox Live account is now an adult account” screen, select Done.

Note If your Xbox Live account doesn’t change to an adult account, try signing out and then signing back in.

And as always it is much easier to create a new thread detailing your problems so that you can receive the support you deserve.
  18. MarquezAnthony Win User

Yes!!! I'm in the exact same boat, also!!! My son got an XBOX 360. We both created our local (offline) XBOX profiles and started playing offline. I was able to promote my profile to XBOX Live since I am an adult. When I try to promote his profile to XBOX
    Live on the console, it tells me that I must create his account on the website. After I did that, I cannot link his local (offline) profile to his newly created XBOX Live profile.

Is there some type of answer where my son doesn't loose all saved game data?
Thema:

1. Merging Existing XBox Profile With New XBox Live Account/Profile - Similar Threads - Merging Existing Profile

2. I had merged my majong account from minecraft to a microsoft account but i dont know what...

in XBoX on Windows
    I had merged my majong account from minecraft to a microsoft account but i dont know what...: I had merged my majong account from minecraft to a microsoft account but i dont know what microsoft account it was. how can i find out and start playing minecraft agn?...
  3. How do I merge my old Java account with my new Microsoft account?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How do I merge my old Java account with my new Microsoft account?: I have an old Java edition Minecraft account, and I missed the migration window so I bought Minecraft again. I can tell Microsoft still has access to the data in my old account though because it...
  4. Two Merged Minecraft Accounts???

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Two Merged Minecraft Accounts???: I bought Minecraft Java edition under my dad’s Microsoft account a little over a year ago which was also being sold with Bedrock as a package. I also have a Microsoft account which only has...
  5. Multiple microsoft account to merge

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Multiple microsoft account to merge: Hi, I've got Minecraft few years ago with one of my E-mail account (french mail 'wanadoo'). This E-mail is now unactive and I would like to switch my minecraft account to an other e-mail...
  6. How to open up Minecraft after Merging

in XBoX Accessibility
    How to open up Minecraft after Merging: Hello! I'm having some issues with my copy of Minecraft. I purchased the game back on 9/11/20 and merged my single account once on 1/28/22 for Java, and another time on 3/13/22 on my Android...
  7. Minecraft Micrsoft Merging

in XBoX on Windows
    Minecraft Micrsoft Merging: I have a Minecraft account under a sbcglobal.net email, however, this email was deleted a long time ago. I would like to get my free Minecraft Java and Bedrock edition since I was not able to...
  8. Fiance and I's friends list merged together

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Fiance and I's friends list merged together: So me and my Fiance use the same Xbox Series X and whenever he is logged in he gets my friends on his friends list. I'm fully logged out of the Xbox but they're still appearing on his friends...
  9. Want to merge my two Xbox accounts on one phone number want to get rid of Skype so I can be...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Want to merge my two Xbox accounts on one phone number want to get rid of Skype so I can be...: I have two Xbox accounts and want to merge both of them to one number to authenticate I don't use Skype is it possible to remove it in use a single number for two accounts so I can authenticate...
  10. Is it possible to merge 2 xbox accounts into 1?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Is it possible to merge 2 xbox accounts into 1?: I have 2 xbox accounts and I was wondering if I can merge my old Xbox account to my new Xbox account? 02520931-a78a-4f48-bd5c-17ddcbd872a0