Media Player does not recognize USB device

Discus and support Media Player does not recognize USB device in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I just downloaded the Media Player - Preview and it does not recognize my USB device. I've tried using all the different usb inputs on the Xbox One and... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by WotaconTV, Sep 8, 2014.

1. WotaconTV
    WotaconTV Guest

I just downloaded the Media Player - Preview and it does not recognize my USB device. I've tried using all the different usb inputs on the Xbox One and none of them worked. All I get is a message telling me to insert a USB device. I can manage files (organize,
    delete, play) on my computer but does not work on the Xbox One. So the USB device is working fine. The format type is MS-DOS (FAT32).

:)

WotaconTV, Sep 8, 2014
  2. Seagate Game Drive 4 tb only recognized as media device, no option to format it for games

If it only recognizes it as media storage then its does not see the device as a USB 3 device, which is needed for game storage.

DIPDIP0TAT0CH1P, Sep 8, 2014
  3. Media player app not seeing files on USB flash

I'm also having an issue with media player not seeing my files. The usb format is exfat cause I have a Mac but when the usb is opened on the Media Player it doesn't recognize any of my mp3 files.

DejaVaughn RG, Sep 8, 2014
  4. Media Player does not recognize USB device

Hey there, SDRASTAMAN! Sorry to see that your console isn't recognizing your USB. It is very likely because it's formatted to FAT32. You'll want to make sure that it's formatted to be NTFS. Before you do that, make sure you have your media backed up on your
    PC so that you don't lose it all!

Post back your results once you get it formatted like that. We'll want to make sure that you get completely sorted out. Media Player does not recognize USB device :)

Misses Quinzel, Sep 9, 2014
  5. Ronin559
    Ronin559 Guest
    First, you got to make sure that your external HDD is USB 3.0 not 2.0. Second, I dont think FAT32 is supported on the Xbox One. I just had a simular issue but mine was formated HSF+ (MAC), I had to format my HDD to xFat and it seems to work okay. I would
    say this if you are on a PC though, format it to NTFS just like Misses Quinzel I know for sure that is what MS wants you to idealy use.

Ronin559, Sep 11, 2014
  6. WotaconTV
    WotaconTV Guest
    I have a Mac so I formatted to exFAT as Ronin recommended and it is working now. Thank you I really appreciate

It, can't wait for the .mkv update now.

WotaconTV, Sep 11, 2014
  7. My external hard drive used to work just fine but is now no longer recognised. It has been plugged into the Xbox One for over a month. Nothing has changed on the drive so I can only assume an Xbox system update is the cause.

Anyone else having the same issue?

Looks like my system updated on the 08/11/2014. Can't be certain if its worked at all since then. Now running OS version 6.2.11785.0

BaRGAtrON3000, Nov 28, 2014
  8. Media Player does not recognize USB device

Hey there, BaRGAtrON3000! I'm sorry to see that you are having issues with your external hard drive. This thread is a bit old. Unless you are in the preview program, there has not been a console update since the beginning of this month. If you would like
    further assistance, please post up a new thread detailing what you're running into and troubleshooting you've completed. This way our community can get you the individual support that works best on the forums. Media Player does not recognize USB device :)

Misses Quinzel, Nov 1, 2018
  9. Misses Quinzel Win User

Hey there, BaRGAtrON3000! I'm sorry to see that you are having issues with your external hard drive. This thread is a bit old. Unless you are in the preview program, there has not been a console update since the beginning of this month. If you would like
    further assistance, please post up a new thread detailing what you're running into and troubleshooting you've completed. This way our community can get you the individual support that works best on the forums. :)
  10. Ronin559 Win User

First, you got to make sure that your external HDD is USB 3.0 not 2.0. Second, I dont think FAT32 is supported on the Xbox One. I just had a simular issue but mine was formated HSF+ (MAC), I had to format my HDD to xFat and it seems to work okay. I would
    say this if you are on a PC though, format it to NTFS just like Misses Quinzel I know for sure that is what MS wants you to idealy use.
  11. BaRGAtrON3000 Win User

My external hard drive used to work just fine but is now no longer recognised. It has been plugged into the Xbox One for over a month. Nothing has changed on the drive so I can only assume an Xbox system update is the cause.

Anyone else having the same issue?

Looks like my system updated on the 08/11/2014. Can't be certain if its worked at all since then. Now running OS version 6.2.11785.0
  12. WotaconTV Win User

I have a Mac so I formatted to exFAT as Ronin recommended and it is working now. Thank you I really appreciate

It, can't wait for the .mkv update now.
  13. Misses Quinzel Win User

Hey there, SDRASTAMAN! Sorry to see that your console isn't recognizing your USB. It is very likely because it's formatted to FAT32. You'll want to make sure that it's formatted to be NTFS. Before you do that, make sure you have your media backed up on your
    PC so that you don't lose it all!

Post back your results once you get it formatted like that. We'll want to make sure that you get completely sorted out. :)
Thema:

1. Media Player does not recognize USB device - Similar Threads - Media Player does

2. Windows media player issues or flaws and accessories app issues Xbox system feature missing.

in XboX Insiders
    Windows media player issues or flaws and accessories app issues Xbox system feature missing.: It has no media server access, and it has an unfriendly UI when navigating through a large library of music. Also it's impossible to transfer from PC to internal storage. It reads metadata...
  3. Media Player for Xbox Series S is asking me to "Sign In" when opening the app. error code...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Media Player for Xbox Series S is asking me to "Sign In" when opening the app. error code...: I am trying to view my screenshots and clips on my Seagate Portable 1TB External Hard Drive but when I access the Media Player app it tells me to sign in and none of my captures are in the hard...
  4. Windows Media Player on Xbox Series X crashes after switching to another app

in XBoX on Windows
    Windows Media Player on Xbox Series X crashes after switching to another app: If I'm playing a song on windows media player, and I switch to another app, the song plays in the background for around 4 seconds before stopping and the app crashes entirely....
  5. WD Black external drive only reading as media player

in XBoX on Consoles
    WD Black external drive only reading as media player: I have a brand new WD Black external drive. I bought it to move games I’m not currently playing. When I plug it in to the usb port on my Xbox series x, I get a message “media storage ready”. It...
  6. how to access wondows media player on 360

in XBoX on Consoles
    how to access wondows media player on 360: hos do i connext to windows media player on a 360 4fea8aae-72b7-4ab9-a42d-ae863dbd6086
  7. Media player is harder to use now

in XboX Insiders
    Media player is harder to use now: Very disappointed with the changes. Less functionality and just a pain in the arse. Was so much better before submitted by /u/Realistic_Being_3411 [link] [comments]
  8. Why does my xbox one read a ssd as a media player

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my xbox one read a ssd as a media player: I put in my hp ssd p500 but my xbox reads it as a media player. I wanted to use the ssd as a gigabyte expansion. c016e10d-6337-4924-b2f7-cd883d0d04d1
  9. does downloading the DTS Unbound app onto Xbox 1 s enable the Windows Media Player to play...

in XBoX Accessibility
    does downloading the DTS Unbound app onto Xbox 1 s enable the Windows Media Player to play...: does downloading the DTS Unbound app onto Xbox 1 s enable the Windows Media Player to play and control a DTS CD? 20c201d9-9ca9-4fd5-9f6c-2478fff8516b
  10. Why does Xbox Series S crash when listening to background music via Windows Media Player?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does Xbox Series S crash when listening to background music via Windows Media Player?: Today I started playing music on my xbox in the background via Windows media player app on xbox via DLNA connection. It worked fine for about 20 minutes, then it began opening up Windows media...