Made account when it was still GFWL, recently returned and don't know how to log into it.

Discus and support Made account when it was still GFWL, recently returned and don't know how to log into it. in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; I first made a windows account a long time ago when it was still Games For Windows Live. I have not since had to use a microsoft gaming service since... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by Intihub, Dec 13, 2022.

1. Intihub
    Intihub Guest

Made account when it was still GFWL, recently returned and don't know how to log into it.

I first made a windows account a long time ago when it was still Games For Windows Live. I have not since had to use a microsoft gaming service since it transitioned to Xbox.

I logged in to Xbox with details I thought were for my ancient GFWL account but I was instead presented with a new profile with the default randomly generated gamertag. The old profile is still there if I look for it on the Xbox client, with all my old games and achievements, but I have no idea how to log into it.

I still have access to all my email accounts, but any email account use log into on Xbox gives me a "new" profile and gamertag instead of the original one I wish to use.

How can I access this long lost account, is there some sort of migration process I have missed?

:)

Intihub, Dec 13, 2022
  2. Intihub Win User

I didn't know accounts were killed for good after so much time of inactivity.

Thanks for solving this.
  3. Intihub Win User

Looking on the GFWL help, under the "What Features Are Still Up And Running?" tab the response says that Gamertags for installed games still function.

Does this mean that I simply cannot recover that gamertag and it's forever locked to that old account?
  4. StevenK_M Win User

Looking on the GFWL help, under the "What Features Are Still Up And Running?" tab the response says that Gamertags for installed games still function.

Does this mean that I simply cannot recover that gamertag and it's forever locked to that old account?
    Thanks for keeping me posted, Intihub.

Unfortunately, as per the latest update of Microsoft account activity policy, if there is no activity for more than two years it will be deactivated and no longer be accessed which also applies on GFWL.
  5. Tezzerrific Win User

GFWL is a dead duck, been obsolete for years now. also if you do not log into an xbox account for a number of years then it is closed.
  6. StevenK_M Win User

Thema:

1. Made account when it was still GFWL, recently returned and don't know how to log into it. - Similar Threads - Made account was

2. My account was hacked and someone made 3 purchases, I stopped my card, Would like to know...

in XBoX on Windows
    My account was hacked and someone made 3 purchases, I stopped my card, Would like to know...: My account was hacked and someone made 3 purchases, I stopped my card, Would like to know how do I request a refund? eba99bf0-a833-4cdc-844b-1228486113ac
  3. If I made a epic games account with xbox, how do I login to the epic account made with it...

in XBoX Accessibility
    If I made a epic games account with xbox, how do I login to the epic account made with it...: I have been using epic games to play fortnite for a while. When I first played fortnite in 2019, it was through my xbox and my epic account was linked to it. I don't know the account's email...
  4. Can I transfer my gf's Hogwarts legacy character she made on my account to the new account...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can I transfer my gf's Hogwarts legacy character she made on my account to the new account...: Firstly, we don't live together. I gave her my Xbox one after I upgraded to a series x. She loves HL and is further than I am! We have been sharing my account and it's been hard given we both have...
  5. my friend got console and account banned but bought a new Xbox and made a new account...

in XBoX on Consoles
    my friend got console and account banned but bought a new Xbox and made a new account...: 9 days ago my friend was playing on the Xbox with me and all of a sudden his account got banned and so did his Xbox, a few days later both him and his sister got new Xbox’s for early Christmas but...
  6. I've made a new account on xbox and I already has some friends.

in XBoX Accessibility
    I've made a new account on xbox and I already has some friends.: Hello I've made a new account because I have lost my other one and when I went to friend my friends back I saw something weird. First I saw that I already had two friends one I didn't know and the...
  7. Charges made by my account but seems to be hacked

in XBoX Accessibility
    Charges made by my account but seems to be hacked: Someone seemed to hack my account and went to the family section. They then added themselves as a family member and transferred money to their own account using my cash app account card that was...
  8. Do i keep my purchases made through Xbox if i delete this account?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Do i keep my purchases made through Xbox if i delete this account?: If i delete the epic games account linked to my xbox, will i lose all of my purchases that i made through xbox and not the epic games store web page? I have been trying to change the email linked...
  9. I keep getting emails about purchases I made on Fortnite with my Microsoft account even if...

in XBoX Accessibility
    I keep getting emails about purchases I made on Fortnite with my Microsoft account even if...: For 3 months now, I get emails about purchases I made on Fortnite on my email, when I go to Microsoft to check transactions, nothing. Epic Games doesn't have an account my email so whats up? I...
  10. I was wondering if i can get my minecraft account from deleted microsoft account i made a...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I was wondering if i can get my minecraft account from deleted microsoft account i made a...: I was playing minecraft but i got logged out and it said that the account doesn't exist and saw that ny microsoft account was deleted or gone and i was really sad cause i have a bad pc and...