Loosing my mind over refund struggle

Discus and support Loosing my mind over refund struggle in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I have an on-going issue which is now slowly driving me to the brink of my sanity. Sometime ago my account got hacked, a purchase was made through my... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by Lauraline Winter, Sep 23, 2022.

1. Loosing my mind over refund struggle

I have an on-going issue which is now slowly driving me to the brink of my sanity.

Sometime ago my account got hacked, a purchase was made through my account and gifted to another (using an email that is very similar to mine – but not mine, a few different letters have been swapped-very crafty!). This purchase was made by a stranger, in another country, using my bank details but a foreign currency. (Since this incident I have changed all my passwords etc.)

I’ve been charged for this fraudulent purchase, I’ve also been charged several currency conversion transaction fees by my bank as it’s in another currency (I am in UK, the hacker is based in Poland by the looks).

The purchase was for a gamepass bundle (gamepass pc, xbox live gold, gamepass ultimate, ea play, etc.)

This is very frustrating.

I already pay for gamepass ultimate for myself legitimately and have for a long time. I would not then rebuy a bundle and gift it to “myself” with this fake email.

The page to request support give me a call does not work for me. No matter what I try. No matter what browser I use, no matter what device I use. I get the same error every time “Something went wrong on our end and we are working on it”. I could fly to Washington D.C, go to NASA, use their super mega rocket building computer to request a call from xbox support, and it still would not work for me. There is no other way for me to have Xbox support contact me. It’s been like this for days. Also maddening.

To work around this I have been going to the windows support live chat and explain this issue to them. They kindly then have the Xbox support team call me. This is the only way it works. (They have been great, incidentally)

Ok so back to the main issue, I was on the phone with Xbox support for an hour explaining the situation, how I did not make this purchase, some unscrupulous person did, it is nothing to do with me. I would please like a refund. After some back and forth explaining it was not made by me, it’s not buyers remorse, its fraud, hackery, hijinks, the person I spoke with told me to fill out the refund request form. I was told to put that “another child” made the purchase on the drop down menu and just explain in the text box that it was a hacker. I questioned this, I don’t have children, I don’t live with children, I'm not a fan of children, but the support person said it’s fine just put that and explain the situation further in the text box.

So I did, I explained the whole thing from top to bottom, clearly, politely, no detail left out.

My refund got refused. Because it is against policy to refund for games/services that have been played/consumed.

I didn’t play or consume anything. It was not me. It was someone who hacked my account. Just looking at the purchase alone, the dodgy email, the foreign currency, it’s glaringly obvious.

The only thing I’ve “consumed” is frustration and dread of this on-going situation.

So the next day I called again. Another hour on the phone. I was told that they would need to escalate the situation and they would call me back.

I received no call back. No email. I've emailed, no response.

I’m going loopy here.

It’s not an enormous amount of money, but I don’t make a lot of money, I really need it.

I’ve already wasted several hours of precious non-work time trying to sort it and getting nowhere is wholly depressing. I'm posting on here in the hopes that someone will actually properly investigate this, look at the order and go "oh snap, that looks completely suss" and refund me.

And please, do not direct me to the xbox support page to request a call. Some higher inexplicable force is not allowing me access to it no matter how hard I try.

And finally just to add, I have not been rude or impolite to any support staff as I'm not a Karen and I don't believe in shooting the messenger. I'm just a frustrated gamer that wants their hard earned money back.

Thank you for reading.

:)

Lauraline Winter, Sep 23, 2022
  2. Georges C. Win User

Hello again, on the contact us page you should choose the option "Ask a question" this will take you to virtual service via chat, after going through artificial intelligence you will be attended by an expert.
  3. Georges C. Win User

Hello, first it's a pleasure to be able to help you today.

My name is welcome to the community.

Hello Lauraline, by your description I see more of a situation.

Do you mention that your account was hacked and made purchases through it, however you tried to recover your account through the Microsoft account recovery form?

Recover your account

https://account.live.com/acsr

When this happens and your account and recovered, amounts that have not been spent by you are refunded.

If you continue to have access to the account, and it has not been compromised you have even removed the payment methods from the account, change the password and also enable two-factor authentication in the account to increase security?

As this forum is public viewing and unfortunately as independent consultants we do not have access there is some data and neither your account, we can not specify the actual reason or accurately check this issue of the purchase made in your account.

You mention that you tried to contact Xbox customer service by phone, but the ideal would be via chat on the "Contact Us" page where you have the option: "Get fast automated support, 24 hours a day/7 days a week" and after going through the virtual agent will be attended by an expert who can guide you on your question.
  4. Lauraline Winter Win User

Hi Georges,

I have not lost access to my account at any point so did not go through the account recovery procedure. But someone else must have gained access to it and made purchases that I did not make. Since discovering this I have changed my passwords etc.

"If you continue to have access to the account, and it has not been compromised you have even removed the payment methods from the account, change the password and also enable two-factor authentication in the account to increase security?"

Yes, I have done this. I just require a refund for the purchase that was not made by me.

"You mention that you tried to contact Xbox customer service by phone, but the ideal would be via chat on the "Contact Us" page where you have the option: "Get fast automated support, 24 hours a day/7 days a week" and after going through the virtual agent will be attended by an expert who can guide you on your question."

This does not work for me. The virtual agent asks me to put in my phone number to recieve a call. I do that, I get an error message that something went wrong on your end, repeat ad-infintum.
  5. JasonA1980 Win User

World of Tanks

Yeah same... I really struggled to control my tank... it had a mind of its own!!!! So I gave up... will try later over the weekend sometime
  6. Chuck43821 Win User

family membership

thanks so much i thought i was loosing my mind
Thema:

1. Loosing my mind over refund struggle - Similar Threads - Loosing mind refund

2. Xbox elite wireless controller series 2 rubber grip coming loose

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox elite wireless controller series 2 rubber grip coming loose: The right hand rubber grip has started to work loose from the controller, how do I get it repaired? Many thanks, David 8c725e43-a109-46f0-ba31-3889431b1181
  3. How can i fix a loose cmos in a lenovo laptop?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How can i fix a loose cmos in a lenovo laptop?: I have a lenovo ideapad gaming 3 ryzen 5 6600h rtx 3050 15ARH7, and the cmos is loose for some reason, the laptop still turns on and works fine, but i still don't want to have the cmos flailing...
  4. Microsoft soft let me buy he’ll let loose on my Xbox one

in XBoX Accessibility
    Microsoft soft let me buy he’ll let loose on my Xbox one: Microsoft soft let me buy he’ll let loose on my Xbox one and didn’t tell me it was only compatible with the newest Xbox x/s online it says able to play on Xbox one so I have bought a game that...
  5. Hell Let Loose on PC gamepass is broken

in XBoX on Windows
    Hell Let Loose on PC gamepass is broken: Hell Let Loose on PC gamepass is broken f97444c3-9dab-489f-9027-0f31cc7ed897
  6. Loose and not working wired headset, why is it like that?

in XBoX on Windows
    Loose and not working wired headset, why is it like that?: I have a question, I bought a official wired headset from Xbox. But when I tried to plug it into my Series S Controller it was very loose and it did not work, I tried finding videos and tutorials...
  7. Why don't I see hell let loose on cloud gaming

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why don't I see hell let loose on cloud gaming: Why don't I see hell let loose on cloud gaming it said it's coming to card game too so I was wondering if it still going to be on cloud gaming 1a7f8814-90ac-479a-a7a2-b68eabf23abe
  8. Xbox X Controller left stick not completely loose

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox X Controller left stick not completely loose: My Xbox series x controllers left stick is not responding immediately when moving left and right but moving up and down works fine, I Noticed that the left stick is a bit more loose than the right...
  9. Will I loose anything if I change my primary email on my Xbox account

in XboX Insiders
    Will I loose anything if I change my primary email on my Xbox account: I’ve had my Xbox for as long as I can remember and have been playing under my dad’s gmail account. Now that I’m older I would like to change the primary email of the account to my email and delete...
  10. Achievements not updating or unlocking for Hell Let Loose(Game)

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Achievements not updating or unlocking for Hell Let Loose(Game): Hello! Achievements are not updating or unlocking in the game Hell Let Loose. I am meeting the criteria on multiple achievements daily and not seeing progress or unlocking the achievements. I...