Linking Existing Gamertag to New XBox LIVE Account

Discus and support Linking Existing Gamertag to New XBox LIVE Account in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; My daughter created a profile on my son's xbox but we didn't create an xbox live account for her at the time. I've now created an account for her so... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by DriftingHarp531, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Linking Existing Gamertag to New XBox LIVE Account

My daughter created a profile on my son's xbox but we didn't create an xbox live account for her at the time. I've now created an account for her so she can play online, but I can't figure out how to link her gamer tag to the new xbox live account. I've
    done a little research and found that I need to go to "accounts" on her profile but it's greyed out so I can't access it. I'm so confused…any help would be appreciated.

:)

DriftingHarp531, Jan 19, 2014
  2. dalokgawd
    dalokgawd Guest
    xbox live and windows live accounts

I went to access the games store from Windows 8 and instead of linking to my existing Xbox Live account it made some generic one for me. I can't figure out how to link my existing xbox live account to my windows 8 installation. Can someone tell me how
    I can unlink this generic xbox live account and link my existing one to it instead? Thank you.

dalokgawd, Jan 19, 2014
  3. SeanF68
    SeanF68 Guest
    Changing Live Account

Here's the situation - I have a Microsoft Live account that was created many years ago, and somehow has an XBox gamertag associated with it even though we never had an XBox. I have an XBox 360 with a profile on it that has no associated Live account. I want
    to use that existing Live account with the existing XBox profile.

From reading the websites, I gather that what I need to do is use a temporary Live account - I downloaded the existing Live account with its gamertag onto my XBox, and I created a throw-away Live account. The plan was to change the downloaded XBox profile
    from the existing Live account to the throw-away account, thereby freeing up the existing Live account. I could then connect my existing XBox profile to the existing Live account.

However, when I try to change the downloaded profile from the existing Live account to the new throw-away account, it fails, saying it cannot change the Live account at this time.

What am I doing wrong?

SeanF68, Jan 19, 2014
  4. maxen
    maxen Guest

To avoid confusion, you cannot combine accounts. It seems like you now have two accounts in play, so you will need to pick one of them to use.

To use the one you created elsewhere (possibly on a PC?), go to Social from the Dashboard, then Sign In & Out and at the far right pick 'download profile.' Enter the information you used to create the account and it will appear on the console.

The other method, if she wants to keep her offline profile with its saves and progress and achievements but use it online, is to upgrade that profile to a Live-enabled account. There's a guide for this,

here

Let us know how you get on or if you have any questions.

maxen, Jan 19, 2014
  5. maxen Win User

To avoid confusion, you cannot combine accounts. It seems like you now have two accounts in play, so you will need to pick one of them to use.

To use the one you created elsewhere (possibly on a PC?), go to Social from the Dashboard, then Sign In & Out and at the far right pick 'download profile.' Enter the information you used to create the account and it will appear on the console.

The other method, if she wants to keep her offline profile with its saves and progress and achievements but use it online, is to upgrade that profile to a Live-enabled account. There's a guide for this,

here

Let us know how you get on or if you have any questions.
  6. andersonpassos Win User

Wrong gamertag on my Microsoft account

Thank you for contact us! I'm Anderson, an Independent Consultant and a Microsoft user like you.

good evening

Your Xbox gamertag is linked to your Microsoft account, but if it was created with an old email address that no longer exists, you will need to create a new Microsoft account with your current email address and link it to your Xbox gamertag.

To do this, follow these steps:

Go to the Xbox website and sign in with your current email address.

Create a new Xbox gamertag if necessary.

Link your new gamertag to your Microsoft account.

Transfer your Xbox Live Gamerscore and Xbox One games to your new gamertag.
  7. WPAK Win User

join existing local profile to existing live account?

Hi there,

-

No, you can't merge a local profile with an already existing Xbox Live account, it is only possible to 'upgrade' that local profile to a new Xbox Live account. If you want to do that see the steps on this link:

support.xbox.com/.../offline-profile-to-gamertag
  8. voteDC Win User

Is it possible to delete a Gamertag?

9. LadyDeathtrip Win User

CREATING NEW GAMERTAG

Hi brianmitchellMT.,

Microsoft only allows for the use of one gamertag per Microsoft account, so to make a brand new gamertag separate from the others you would need to create a brand new Microsoft account/email address.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026324/microsoft-account-how-to-create

Once you do this you can then create and add a new gamertag with that new MS account to your Xbox with the steps in this below link.

https://support.xbox.com/help/account-profile/manage-account/add-remove-account-xbox-one

If looking to simply change an existing gamertag the steps to do so are in this link.

https://support.xbox.com/help/account-profile/profile/change-xbox-live-gamertag

Best of luck and hope this helps.
Thema:

1. Linking Existing Gamertag to New XBox LIVE Account - Similar Threads - Linking Existing Gamertag

2. Need help with my Microsoft account linking to my psn

in XBoX on Windows
    Need help with my Microsoft account linking to my psn: I play on ps5 and I am unable to sign into my Microsoft account for Minecraft, stating I already have an account linked to my psn but I unfortunately lost access to the email or information linked...
  3. When is the “copy link” feature coming back to gamebar

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    When is the “copy link” feature coming back to gamebar: Why did the copy link feature get removed from gamebar? I used to upload my pc clips to my xbox live activity feed but ever middle of 2023 the feature has been gone. I’ve seen a post that says we...
  4. My Xbox series s won’t connect to my Sony Bravia link it says out of range

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox series s won’t connect to my Sony Bravia link it says out of range: My Xbox series s won’t connect to my Sony Bravia link it says out of range 1d98f5e7-ffeb-470b-a34e-5124caef8394
  5. I just want to know where the hell do I put this link that keeps coming up on my Xbox to...

in XBoX on Windows
    I just want to know where the hell do I put this link that keeps coming up on my Xbox to...: Where do I put this link from my Xbox so I can play the damn games a13086df-ef2b-490f-9ce0-2b383915e16e
  6. Lost account details linked to PS4 Minecraft Account/Can micrsoft unlink an...

in XBoX on Windows
    Lost account details linked to PS4 Minecraft Account/Can micrsoft unlink an...: So a few years back in the Village and Pillage update, I created a Microsoft account to link to my PS4 Minecraft account, the problem is that it signed me out automatically a year later; and ever...
  7. Can I link my 15 year old account to discord?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Can I link my 15 year old account to discord?: My account is 15 years old but I can't link it to discord. Is there anything I can do to fix it? c55fafd9-5790-4024-bb1f-7fdfa4f47d54
  8. I pre ordered sea of thieves on my ps5 and I have no idea how to link my ps5 account with...

in XBoX on Windows
    I pre ordered sea of thieves on my ps5 and I have no idea how to link my ps5 account with...: Can any one help with this or am I gonna have to contact support for help I'm completely in the dark over here 6ce66d84-3105-450c-b846-2f0e3073a095
  9. i just made a new twitch account on my phone and successfully linked it to my xbox but when...

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    i just made a new twitch account on my phone and successfully linked it to my xbox but when...: i already restarted my game but it still shows the old account a8a1b4d4-3953-4f36-b512-574e658c7f12
  10. My account is linked to an email address that no longer exists

in XBoX Accessibility
    My account is linked to an email address that no longer exists: When my xbox was first setup I used my parents email address to create the account. Since then I have been using this for the past 15+ years with no issues. It does occassionally ask to confirm...