Iscsi

Discus and support Iscsi in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Witam Czy jest możliwość podłączenia do xboxa dysku ISCSI (sieciowego)? Ewentualnie czy jest możliwość dodania takiej możliwości? Pozdrawiam... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by MariuszSzymański2, Mar 26, 2023.

1. Iscsi

Witam

Czy jest możliwość podłączenia do xboxa dysku ISCSI (sieciowego)? Ewentualnie czy jest możliwość dodania takiej możliwości?

Pozdrawiam

:)

MariuszSzymański2, Mar 26, 2023
  2. Georges C. Win User

Iscsi

"This support request will be handled in English"

Hello, first it's a pleasure to be able to help you today.

My name is welcome to the community.

Hello MariuszSzymański2, unfortunately its not possible.
  3. Arminator Win User

tcp/udp offload engine

[quote user="Xx ROZILLA xX"]

I have an option for offload engine. I can offload TCP/UDP for lan/wifi.

Is it recommended to enable it to play xbox live?

[/quote]

Well, you can turn it on, but it will have no effect on your Live gaming experience. TCP/UDP offloading is mainly used in "faster than" Gigabit networks in a LAN environment. Usually used when storage devices are connected via NFS or iSCSI.

Since normal private use internet connections ar far away from Gigabit speeds, it won't make any difference if you use it or not.

Only if you connect a network storage to your router and want to move large files across your LAN network you will experience faster transfer times.
  4. BeardyDude Win User

Why can't you just make a simple app that works? Starfield mods broken, can't migrate game installs, can't install on >16TB volume, errors galore.

Yep, everything you say is true :)

[ Edit - except... why is it "for good reason" that Forza Horizon 5 can't be modded? Counterstrike was a mod. Battlefield 2 was effectively the "Desert Combat" mod for 1942 brought in house - maybe the next big thing is a Forza Horizon 5 mod that can't exist.... Modding is not "cheating in multiplayer" ]

However, the fact the decisions made on and the inadequacies of Microsoft's chosen tech stack for the app don't affect many users, is missing the point.

There are millions of users, and I'm far from the only person to whom this has brought misery and annoyance.

The fact most people don't have a 16TB hard drive isn't the point - and this isn't a support Q for starfield, I know it requires an SSD - I'm using an iSCSI volume that's somewhere between SATA and NVME SSD speeds over 10GbE network instead. I know most people don't. That's not the point either!

I'm aware the 4K block size is down to the encryption method used. That's not the point either, though it is a failing of the product - encryption is everywhere, there's no technical reason it needs 4K blocks on an NTFS drive, they just haven't bothered to make it work.

Presumably this is because, just like the rest of the infuriating mess that is Xbox for Windows, they seem to have lifted as much of the software stack as possible from the controlled environment of an Xbox console, then just shoved that square peg into the round hole that is most peoples PCs.

The point is, the 4K requirement, the virtual-volume system DRM and all the headaches and errors it causes, the inability to modify some files in some games or all files in others - it doesn't have to be this way. It is not this way in the competition.

I'm not suggesting *everyone* is affected - though every gamer I know has had many more troubles with the xbox app than steam! - but has anyone ever given a positive benefit to come out of all this mess?

I could see a few upsides potentially - it's a firm anti-cheat measure.... except, in the vast majority of cases, users can cross play from other platforms like Steam or Epic, rendering that moot. In theory it could allow for snapshotting, rollback and efficient patching, with less downloading required..... except they created a load more downloading by making installs less portable, and patches seem no smaller than on other platforms.

Are there any actual benefits to this? Can anyone name one!

If the answers no, then I, and I'm sure many others want to know - what's the plan to fix it or dump it!

It's spoiling my experience, as well as many others. Whoever's pet project this is needs to be shoved elsewhere and the app needs to revert to standard filesystem usage.

It's most infuriating, because they get so much right - a good selection of games for a good price, better-than-some cloud gaming, the cross-play angle with Xbox consoles, the tie in with EA play, and a lot of the general design, UI, and usability elsewhere is actually pretty good.

[2nd edit - "a day in the life of xbox PC app", screenshot added - all these different errors from today alone... No I don't want to reinstall windows AGAIN, tyvm]

[​IMG]
Thema:

Iscsi