Is this Xbox One Hard Drive corrupt/failing or is this a software issue?

Discus and support Is this Xbox One Hard Drive corrupt/failing or is this a software issue? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; My older brother got a first gen (unopened) Xbox One that has just been opened for the first time this week (so keep in mind this is the first time... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by JengaBean, Nov 20, 2017.

1. JengaBean
    JengaBean Guest

My older brother got a first gen (unopened) Xbox One that has just been opened for the first time this week (so keep in mind this is the first time it's ever been turned on/used since manufacturing) - After booting up, he installed his profile, downloaded
    any games that transfer from 360 (World of Tanks) and installed Minecraft Xbox One edition from disc & the new better together edition digitally.

He is now having the following issues (and he's freaked out because he cannot afford to replace the system and he's not internet saavy and so I (Younger brother, living out of state without an Xbox) am trying to help him troubleshoot based on his descriptions.
    We are concerned the newly opened/ unused XBONE ONE is faulty (the system sat unopened/unused for approx 2 years and is therefore not under manufacturer's warranty):

Testing so far:

-Minecraft: Xbox One Edition - Works flawlessly (which is a point against a hardware issue)

-Minecraft: Better Together - All imported worlds have various save file corruption (some worlds load with corrupted blocks that float in the sky that make no logical sense (lava blacks pouring out of nowhere, others worlds load with bright fuchsia untextured
    blocks). All of his friends load across their worlds from 360 and have not problems and they all load with problems on his system

-World of Tanks: His game is constantly freezing/stuttering with screen tearing (pieces of foilage/the screen image apparently stick to the screen in patches and then update/dissappear way after he has passed them) I am asking him for more descriptions and
    he keeps saying it reminds him of an old film stuttering and skipping. Other times in WOT he will play a game that runs normally and then it will get stuck loading the after game stats in an endless loading screen and he'll have to turn it off.

Troubleshooting: His whole gaming life is built around Minecraft and World of Tanks and he's beside himself that his new(ly opened) Xbox appears to be having issues. He's convinced the HDD is corrupted since no amount of restores/redownloads/reinstalls seems
    to fix the issue.

For Minecraft (both versions) he has tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times. He has done the system restore option that saves game data several times as well (He will not do the version that completely deletes all data system wide > He says that
    since he is manually deleting/reinstalling the game it shouldn't make a difference).

Tanks just seems to freeze and stutter more and more the longer he plays on Xbox one.

Can anyone figure out a way to confirm if this is a software issue or a hardware issue?

Here are some recordings he took on his XBONE:

Random floating corrupt blocks Sign in to your Microsoft account

Stretched blocks Sign in to your Microsoft account

:)

JengaBean, Nov 20, 2017
  2. GTA IV digital copy issue.

I hate to say it, but your hard drive could be failing. The 360 gives same disc read errors for hard discs that it does for failing to read DVD's. The best way to test this is the problem rather than a corrupt download is to use a USB flash drive. The
    flash would have to have at least 7GB free. To download direct to a USB flash drive you will have to move your profile to the flash drive, and remove your hard drive.

If the game works fine from the flash drive, your hard drive must be failing.

Obsessive Power, Nov 20, 2017
  3. I Seriously need help!!!!!!

Original Xbox games need a hard drive, It's not storage space this is the issue here. Original Xbox games load on the 360 via a software emulator, this emulator is only available via an Xbox 360 hard drive. Don't fall for the mistake of buying a cheap
    hard drive from eBay or similar, these drives are fake and are missing the emulation software. The hard drive must be an official one.

Obsessive Power, Nov 20, 2017
  4. EggsBoxJuan Win User

System Update caused my Hard Drive to be unformatted

Hi, it's more likely what has happened is that the hard drive has failed or become badly corrupted hence why you're getting the system update request because the system can't find the software on the hard drive.

All you can do is try to format the hard drive, if it formats that's great, if it won't format or formats then shows as unformatted again after a restart of the xbox you're looking at needing to buy a new hard drive.

As you already have usb devices configured as xbox storage you can remove the hard drive and the xbox should update and use one of your usb device rather than the hard drive for the system software. You will then at least be able to use the xbox until you
    get a new hard drive.
  5. LehlogonoloMatabane Win User

Xbox One S system error : E102 00000C01 80070079

Hi, after trying all the recommended methods on here, I decided to have it sent through to the repair shop. It turns out the problem is the hard drive (corrupted files on the system and also the hard drive failing all together). So you'd need to replace
    your hard drive and also reload the software onto your system.
  6. taidara Win User

Unable to download content on 360

If it's possible, try use the hard drive from one of your non-failing console's and insert this drive into the failing console and let us know if your console can connect properly.

I would also suggest that you check your hard drive, if any contents stored on your hard drive may have become corrupted. Corrupted contents is shown as an yellow exclamation mark.
  7. AtifIqbal1 Win User

Xbox One X Issues?

I had a previous issue with the hard drive I fixed which was system corruption, no system has become corrupt this time. I factory formatted it yesterday, if my hard drive was bad a factory format would have failed? The hard drive was replaced previously.

Is the console possibly on its way out?
  8. antonelc Win User

disconnected from live once i start playing a game

It could also possibly be the save game but that rules out that it is a connectivity issue which helps a lot. Corrupted profiles are a lot more common then corrupted saved games. A profile is going to have stuff read off of it and things added to it constantly.
    If the hard drive is starting to fail then it will have errors while trying to update the profile which will make it corrupted. Hard Drives naturally fail for any devices not just xbox. They are spinning a disk while reading and writing data to that disc so
    it is kind of part of the territory. Are you using a 360 slim or one of the legacy 360 (Elite, Arcade, ETC. )?
Thema:

1. Is this Xbox One Hard Drive corrupt/failing or is this a software issue? - Similar Threads - Hard Drive corrupt

2. If my xbox one hard drive dies, and I decide not to replace it but get a new console, will...

in XBoX on Windows
    If my xbox one hard drive dies, and I decide not to replace it but get a new console, will...: If my Xbox One hard drive dies, and I decide not to replace it but get a new console, will old games still be saved from where I was up to? And will my digital games(no disk) still download?...
  3. How do you get game files off a xbox 360s internal hard drive with the ring of death

in XBoX on Consoles
    How do you get game files off a xbox 360s internal hard drive with the ring of death: I have an Xbox 360/s that's been to the repair shop for the ring of death and was told that it is a temporary fix. It has an internal hard drive and I would like to get the saved game files off of...
  4. I have an ssd Seagate Xbox 2TB Portable Gaming Hard Drive but it still doesn’t let me play...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I have an ssd Seagate Xbox 2TB Portable Gaming Hard Drive but it still doesn’t let me play...: I have an ssd Seagate Xbox 2TB Portable Gaming Hard Drive but it still doesn’t let me play games from my hardrive!? All I have read is that you can’t play x/a games on hdd but this one says it is...
  5. How do I format my XBOX 360 S Hard drive? Things are corrupted.

in XBoX on Consoles
    How do I format my XBOX 360 S Hard drive? Things are corrupted.: Hello! A ton of my stuff on the xbox 360 are corrupted, from system file update to saves and accounts (I think) So everytime I delete it, it'll just come back. HELP! So I decided to format. I...
  6. Can my external hard drive corrupt my console?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can my external hard drive corrupt my console?: So my console has been on the downhill slope for the last few weeks. I can play it for awhile then it will freeze between menus before becoming unresponsive to my controller altogether. When I try...
  7. Can a corrupt game corrupt my external hard drive?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can a corrupt game corrupt my external hard drive?: I think Modern Warfare got corrupted, and when it did i went to uninstall/reinstall it and it wouldn’t download on my external. But, ever since my external has been on the fritz. It doesnt turn on...
  8. Corrupt Hard drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    Corrupt Hard drive: My Xbox 360 hard drive is corrupt. It won't boot and none of the suggestions in the forum worked. I've now purchased a new hard drive, but how do I download all my games that I've bought in the...
  9. Data on hard drive corrupt

in XBoX on Consoles
    Data on hard drive corrupt: Hello, ok i tried transfering my saved game data from one hard drive to another. However when i tried the new hard drive, it said everything on there was showing corrupt with the yellow triangle....
  10. Xbox freezing hard drive wont delete corrupt files

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox freezing hard drive wont delete corrupt files: So I have been on the phone with support for about an hour trying to figure out why im xbox decided to go crazy. My xbox started freezing this morning so I went to my hard drive and notice most...