Is there a software update for the wireless controller?

Discus and support Is there a software update for the wireless controller? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I've initially purchased a wireless controller straight from Microsoft. The issue with the initial controller, the right thumb stick pegs itself up.... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by 226cenk, Feb 10, 2022.

1. 226cenk
    226cenk Guest

I've initially purchased a wireless controller straight from Microsoft. The issue with the initial controller, the right thumb stick pegs itself up. After experiencing that, I've requested for a replacement. The replacement is way worse, all the triggers and buttons doing their own thing without any user input. Plus, I swear it was pre-owned. Evident by the button layouts not being default.

The controllers do work when they are wired, but I've purchased wireless controllers to be wireless. What is going on? I am now getting pissed off. What is going on with Microsoft's quality control? Is there a software update for the controllers to fix these issues?

:)

226cenk, Feb 10, 2022
  2. 226cenk Win User

Yea. This is not going to work for me. I have jumped ship over to Ubuntu. I am currently on version 21.04. All the quality issues of Microsoft and bloat/ad-ware drove me out.

I have been testing. In a virtual machine. gnome-boxes, I booted up xbox accessories. The application within the virtual environment does recognize the controller and works without any issues on bluetooth. When I go and try configure the controller, it says I need to connect via the wire. The issue with that is, while bluetooth works great in the virtual environment, while wired the application does not recognize my controller.

I then tried going to vmware, but it is having issue right now. I am fitting to try virtual box next. Why does the controller even need to be updates?! I find that to be absolutely ridiculous.
  3. XBF - Hayabusa Win User

When you update your controller with the latest software, you get important controller improvements, just as there are updates to your PC, mobile devices, games, etc.

You cannot update your controller or customize via Bluetooth, only with an Xbox Wireless Adapter or with the USB cable.

You may want to check if your drivers or PC is up to date. Not sure how it works with Ubuntu, as Xbox Accessories is only available on Windows 10 & 11.

Perhaps if you have another laptop or PC running windows you can update your controller from there, then use it again on your main PC.
  4. XBF - Hayabusa Win User

Hello 226cenk,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your controllers.

The thumb stick getting stuck in one position is not a feature. However, you can update the controller on the Xbox console or PC. You can update it to see if that resolves your issue. If it does not, and you still have a problem with your controller, start another return and replace again, explaining the issue with your new one.

Update your controller on a Windows 10/11 PC by using the Xbox Accessories app:

1. If you don’t already have the app installed, get it in the: Microsoft Store
    2. Open the Xbox Accessories app.
    3. Connect your Xbox Wireless Controller by using a USB cable or the Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows.
    4. When the controller is connected, you'll see the message Update Required if an update is mandatory. Install the update.
    Note: Updating the controller over Bluetooth is not supported.

Update your controller on an Xbox console:

1. Press the Xbox button to open the guide, select Profile & system > Settings > Devices & connections > Accessories, and then select the controller you want to update.
    2. On the Xbox Wireless Controller screen, select “…” to check the firmware version for your controller.
    3. If it says “Update,” select Firmware version, and then follow the steps provided.
    Additional Resources:

Update your Xbox Wireless Controller | Xbox Support

Troubleshoot your Xbox Wireless Controller | Xbox Support

If this doesn’t solve the issue, your controller needs to be replaced.

Request an Xbox controller replacement

-Hayabusa
  5. XBF - Hayabusa Win User

Hello 226cenk,

As far as I know, the Xbox controller works with Windows 10/11, the Xbox console and the Xbox Wireless adapter. You can try purchasing one to see if it works better for you. Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows 10 | Xbox

As far as Bluetooth, it should be able to connect to PC and Mobile devices -- however, if the drivers are not updated (or not recognizable on a different OS) there may be issues, in which you would have to use a USB cable.

There are some articles that mention it may be possible that you can follow. However, keep in mind this website is in no way affiliated with Microsoft and may contain ads.
  6. 226cenk Win User

Update: Kept testing, apparently messing with my controller's layout via steam fixed my button triggering wows. The controller still has problems on re-connection, it tries and it fails. It's a constant battle.

I even tried to switch my Ubuntu over to xorg to see if that fixes it, but no... it doesn't. I say, I can live with it. I'd rather have it re-connect successfully.
Thema:

1. Is there a software update for the wireless controller? - Similar Threads - software update wireless

2. My xbox one doesn't turn back on in the restart phase of the software update. How do I fix...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My xbox one doesn't turn back on in the restart phase of the software update. How do I fix...: It's one of those normal software/system updates where you have to do the update to be able to connect to a network again. There is a progress bar at the bottom of the screen divided into 3 parts....
  3. After software update no video displays

in XBoX on Consoles
    After software update no video displays: After software update no video displays. Replaced hdmi cable, tried a different working hdmi port on the tv, and tried starting in low resolution mode. Nothing works. Xbox light comes on, o video...
  4. Can the xbox series X/S and elite series polling rate be unlocked via software update? Can...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can the xbox series X/S and elite series polling rate be unlocked via software update? Can...: This thread is about the lock on xbox controller polling rate. I have tested and noticed that the lowest latencies I get on a xbox controller is 3-4ms vs 0.80-1ms from PS5 controllers and PC. On a...
  5. Xbox series x is software update issue

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series x is software update issue: xbox series x the new black console is stuck doing a system update I'm frozen out of opening or pressing anything while its trying to do this so I can't go setting or anything like that I tried...
  6. Xbox cant load game after doing a software update

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox cant load game after doing a software update: Having a bug this morning where i got an xbox update while playing a game, i installed it fully and when i finally finished it i went to load my game back up but it keeps crashing with no error...
  7. Software Update not working and shutting down Xbox One

in XBoX on Consoles
    Software Update not working and shutting down Xbox One: My Xbox one is saying there needs to be a software update so when I start the update it all looks like it is happening ok, but it say that the Xbox will restart on software update, but it turns...
  8. Latest system update corrupted my system software

in XboX Insiders
    Latest system update corrupted my system software: Ever since the September system update my console has been completely corrupted. System won't start up till hours later and when it does it either freezes or all apps and games you try to start...
  9. Xbox Home screen Idea for next software update:)

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox Home screen Idea for next software update:): Make an option in the settings where you can change your home screen between the older generations of Xbox home screens. I miss the Xbox 360 start up and home screen. submitted by...
  10. Xbox Series X System Software Update

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X System Software Update: My Xbox Series X was updating and when it was at 90% seen in the link below, I held the Home Xbox button and it brought me back to the dashboard. At this point, I have no idea if the system...