Is my Xbox Series X controller defective?

Discus and support Is my Xbox Series X controller defective? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I bought an Xbox Series X controller about a year ago and have been using it on my PC (with Windows 10). It is important to note that my controller is... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by NickB149, Mar 23, 2023.

1. NickB149
    NickB149 Guest

I bought an Xbox Series X controller about a year ago and have been using it on my PC (with Windows 10). It is important to note that my controller is connected with a USB, not wireless.

Since then, the controller has been inconsistent with its functionality. Right out of the box, the controller would not connect properly. I kept on seeing "Unrecognized Device" with the controller only blinking. After about a week of trial and error (specifically I tried manually downloading the driver for the controller), I finally got it to work.

Fastforward about two months (with no errors), I go away for about a week. When I come back, the PC forgot the controller again. I go through the same process of deleting and reinstalling the driver, as well as downloading the Xbox Accessories app to make sure the firmware is updated. Again, I managed to get it to work. I also made sure the driver was automatically updated when the connection was secure.

And yet this cycle repeats. From the moment I got the controller I've had these issues. Sometimes it's triggered by long periods of inactivity. Other times it just happens out of nowhere. Most recently, it seems to have occurred when I updated my GPU software (AMD Adrenaline). There are times when it seems to work and I am able to test the buttons on Xbox Accessories, but the moment I hop into a game it stops working. The logo in the center of the controller will continue glow and I can still get it to vibrate with Xbox Accessories, but the buttons will not register.

From what I can tell, typically Xbox controllers with wired connections should have no issues, as most troubleshooting is for wireless connections. I was expecting to be able to simply plug it in and play but instead I have to wait a week for the controller to decide to work again. The worst part about this is, since I thought the issue would be once-and-done, I refrained from returning the controller and getting a new one. Now I am well past the return date and am stuck with controller that consistently annoys me.

From my explanation, are these errors something that can be fixed? Is this controller defective?

:)

NickB149, Mar 23, 2023
  2. Rostom L Win User

Hi NickB149!

There's a possibility that it may be a firmware issue only with your controller. For us to further isolate the issue, it would be best if you could try to use your controller on a different PC if the issue reoccurs there. If possible, try to test a different controller as well on your own PC.

I would also suggest to try a different USB cable and also try different USB ports on your PC.
  3. NickB149 Win User

I was able to do a general test using my roommate's computer (I believe it was running Windows 11) and the controller instantly connected. I wasn't able to test it on an actual game, but pressing the home button brough up the xbox UI and I was able to navigate it with the joystick.

Unfortunately, I don't have another controller to use for testing.

As for the cable, I was able to connect my phone (which also uses USB-C) to my computer with no issues.

To explain in more detail, there are two specific errors I have. The first is that the device is not recognized and cannot connect. As of right now, I am not really having this issue. The second is the controller connects (as in the logo has a solid glow/no blinking), I am able to test the buttons on Xbox Accessories, but within a minute all button inputs do not register. This is typically triggered the moment I hop into a game but it can happen at other points. This is the issue I am currently having. Also, when it is connected, I checked the Xbox Accessories and, sure enough, it says the firmware is updated.
  4. Fadda23 Win User

Xbox series s not showing on tv

my xbox series x did the same thing its a defective unit sent mine back and a new one is back on its way to me
  5. Michael Paillé Win User

Controller suddenly stopped working. Lights up when plugged in, tried multiple cables. Does not show up under device manager.

My controller stop working too series x , factory controller . Last night working and today my samsung tv remote control my xbox and the xbox controller no longuer view by the xbox , i use another controller from my other xbox seris s , and this controller work but not the one work last night , i try the little button to match xbox with but nothing , the controller do no longuer view on my xbox series x , can control de series s but can't be view or connect to the series x anymore
  6. D4vid 360 Win User

So are they going to fix those elite 2 controllers or not?

This is the major problem of this generation xbox one’s accessories: too fragile/defective. Hope they will do better on series x
Thema:

1. Is my Xbox Series X controller defective? - Similar Threads - Series controller defective

2. Elite Series Controller keeps disconnecting

in XBoX on Consoles
    Elite Series Controller keeps disconnecting: My Xbox elite series 2 controller keeps disconnecting. It was doing it on my like half year old Xbox series x, I got a new controller because I thought that was the issue then ended up getting a...
  3. Elite Series 2 Controller repair botched, Xbox Customer Support not helping

in XBoX on Consoles
    Elite Series 2 Controller repair botched, Xbox Customer Support not helping: I can’t believe I’m even having this issue. It has taken me 1.5 years to get back an Elite Series 2 controller that I sent in for warranty repair along with its accessories. However, the...
  4. Headset microphone doesn't work when connected to a XBox Series X controller - Windows 11

in XBoX on Consoles
    Headset microphone doesn't work when connected to a XBox Series X controller - Windows 11: I've recently upgraded to Windows 11 and now when I connect my Headset to my Xbox Series X controller the microphone no longer works. I did the same as I did on Windows 10. I connected the USB C...
  5. Problems with right joystick on elite series 2 controller

in XBoX on Consoles
    Problems with right joystick on elite series 2 controller: Pressing the right joy stick down turns the controller off and the controller will not turn back on until it is plugged in, controller does not register up or down movement on the right joystick...
  6. When sending in my custom Elite Controller Series 2 for replacement, will I receive an...

in XBoX on Consoles
    When sending in my custom Elite Controller Series 2 for replacement, will I receive an...: A little less than a year ago I purchased a custom Elite Controller Series 2 from Xbox Design Lab, complete with a custom engraving. When I contacted Xbox Support, the person on the phone ensured...
  7. Is there a bug or defect with the xbox series usb ports and wired controllers?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is there a bug or defect with the xbox series usb ports and wired controllers?: My Xbox S is acting strange lately, my controller is always plugged into my xbox and today it was working and then right in the middle of the game. It just turned off so I unplugged it then...
  8. My partner and I have 1 Xbox s series s, 1 tv, 2 controllers, game pass ultimate and all we...

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    My partner and I have 1 Xbox s series s, 1 tv, 2 controllers, game pass ultimate and all we...: My partner and I have 1 Xbox s series s, 1 tv, 2 controllers, game pass ultimate and all we want to do is play 2 player games together. why is this so hard?! Can someone please help?...
  9. I'm completely unsatisfied with this overpriced Elite Series 2 controller - Left stick is...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I'm completely unsatisfied with this overpriced Elite Series 2 controller - Left stick is...: I have to say that I thought the idea of paying over $100 for a controller was absurd, but by the time I got it the thing cost me nearly $170 and after 2 weeks of use the left stick is "jammed" I...
  10. PSA: Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 Designlab is defective by design and materials, with...

in XBoX on Windows
    PSA: Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 Designlab is defective by design and materials, with...: PSA: The Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 with customization from Design Lab sure are pretty, but are defective by design and materials. Trying to get Warranty support for the last 11 days...