Is my HDD going bad?

Discus and support Is my HDD going bad? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Need some help - I think I broke hubby's Xbox while he's deployed... eek! We have a 360 Slim with a memory stick. It's been totally fine up until... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by littleissa, Jan 7, 2016.

1. littleissa
    littleissa Guest

Is my HDD going bad?

Need some help - I think I broke hubby's Xbox while he's deployed... eek!

We have a 360 Slim with a memory stick. It's been totally fine up until last night. Had Fallout New Vegas in the drive, but was actually connected to the wifi watching Netflix, signed into Live with my account/avatar. Netflix was running too slow, so
    I signed out, went back to the homescreen to play Fallout, and it froze (never had that happen before). I turned off the console and turned it back on, but when I did, it didn't log into a Live account, didn't recognize there was anything in the tray, and
    all of our avatar/Live accounts were gone. I tried to download my account, and it told me that I needed an Xbox memory unit to do that. I tried to connect to wifi, and it told me I needed a wifi adapter to do that, which is odd since we've never had an issue
    connecting it to the wifi in the 5+ years we've owned it.

So after a slight pit in my stomach, I turned it off and on again. Same thing. It's like it factory reset itself (or wiped itself clean) but then forgot that it's even got a storage unit or wifi adapter inside! Did this twice more, and the last time I
    did it, it went back to normal - signed me into Live right away, all our accounts were there, wifi was connected, showed Fallout in the tray. No issues. I went to try and get to the social screen, just to have a look around, and it froze again. When I turned
    off and on, it was back to the "wiped clean" setup. That's how it's stayed.

I did download an update on Sunday night, and this was the second time I've used it since then. There is no red ring of death, but at times the controllers seem to just keep searching and searching to connect to the console and they aren't really communicating
    well. Also, when I try to play any game in the tray on the "wiped clean" setup, it either freezes or tells me there's nothing there.

Is it dead? Please don't give my husband more ammunition to buy a One, and tell me this is fixable! I have no idea how to open the console, or even what I would do once it's open, but someone suggested maybe the HDD is either loose or bad. Is there anything
    I can do to fix this? Thanks for ANY help you can give me!!

:)

littleissa, Jan 7, 2016
  2. Sideswipe713
    Sideswipe713 Guest
    Issue trying to upgrade my Hard Drive from 60 gb to 250 gb

Hello there I have a 60GB HDD system I bought a 250 GB HDD to upgrade too. When I put the 250 GB HDD on my system its saying there is only 14 GB is there an issue with my system ? I bought another 250 GB HDD and the same issue is going on any help is greatly
    appreciated thank you.

Sideswipe713, Jan 7, 2016
  3. Anthony Ska
    Anthony Ska Guest
    Error "game couldnt start, try downloading again"

this is where i got my HDD
    www.amazon.com/.../ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

nothing in my memory is corrupted. i think it is going to be the HDD but its got the Microsoft logo on it i dont understand.

Anthony Ska, Jan 7, 2016
  4. maxen
    maxen Guest

Is my HDD going bad?

Hello Littleissa,

At this link here you can read about different troubleshooting steps pertaining to various hard drive-related issues:
    support.xbox.com/.../hard-drive

To take the hard drive out and put it back in you do not need to open up the console per sé, it's more opening a cover. There's a guide here, covering all the Xbox 360 models:

support.xbox.com/.../add-remove-hard-drive

You may also want to run through the steps for troubleshooting a bad update, which you can find here:

support.xbox.com/.../system-update-help

Let us know how you get on and if you have any questions.

maxen, Jan 7, 2016
  5. I don't think the OP's console actually has a 'hard drive'. As the fast sentence states
    "We have a 360 Slim with a memory stick."

I'm pretty certain this this is an Xbox 360 4GB Slim, in which case it won't have 'hard drive' to remove. The 'Memory unit' is non user replaceable. Basically, looking at all the evidence, the console has some kind of of general hardware failure. The
    4GB Memory Unit in the 4GB slim can fail just like any Flash storage and it can not be removed because it's attached to the console motherboard.

If it was just the on-board storage that had failed, you could still use the console if you attached a hard drive. However, with the WiFi failing, the DVD drive not recognising discs and the inability to connect controllers properly suggests it has indeed
    failed.

Other than set up a repair, no there is nothing else you can do. Sorry.

Obsessive Power, Jan 7, 2016
  6. littleissa
    littleissa Guest
    Maybe I stated it wrong. It's got a flashdrive that my husband has some movies and a couple game saves on, but we only just got that last year. Before that, we weren't using any external memory for it. I don't know if that affects what can be done, but
    I thought I'd clarify just in case.

littleissa, Jan 7, 2016
  7. maxen
    maxen Guest
    It depends on the model. Some consoles are sold as a 4GB model, which is basically only some internal flash memory and does not count as a hard drive, whereas if the model you have is a 250GB (or anything other than 4GB; 120GB, 320GB or 500GB could also
    be the case) then it's one with an additional, removable hard drive. If you're not sure, by following the steps I linked above you'll find out (there either is or won't be a hard drive where the guide says there is one).

maxen, Jan 7, 2016
  8. Irixion
    Irixion Guest

Is my HDD going bad?

OP --I'll save you some time. USB Thumb drives, use something known as flash memory. To save you time, they basically have a finite amount of read/writes before they stop working. For this reason, it's very, very cheap. For something like storing documents
    on, it's not a problem. However, since the Xbox reads and writes to the thumb drive a heck of a lot more than a document would, these drives fail quickly. I wouldn't recommend using a thumb drive on an Xbox for any amount of time. The performance on them is
    terrible, and they fail fairly quickly. For these reasons I suggest buying an external Hard Drive. You can buy 500 GB drives for fairly cheap, and they're going to last you a lot longer than a USB stick (provided you don't knock them around, mechanical drives
    are fragile creatures). As for brands, I would stay away from Seagate and PNY under all costs. You get what you pay for, and these drives are borderline trash. That, and they have compatibility issues with Xbox 360s. Western Digital drives are very resilient
    and are available for decent prices. I recommend buying a Western Digital Passport drive. They're small, portable, and are pretty darn great!

If your USB stick is working half the time, or at all, I would recommend that you stop use immediately to save your data from any potential loss that could happen if you continue using the drive.

If that's too long and you don't feel like reading that fat blob of text, don't use USB sticks. Buy yourself a Western Digital External. If you're tight on space you can buy a Western Digital Passport drive. Also, Seagate and PNY suck so avoid those.

Good luck! Is my HDD going bad? :)

Irixion, Oct 31, 2018
  9. maxen Win User

Is my HDD going bad?

It depends on the model. Some consoles are sold as a 4GB model, which is basically only some internal flash memory and does not count as a hard drive, whereas if the model you have is a 250GB (or anything other than 4GB; 120GB, 320GB or 500GB could also
    be the case) then it's one with an additional, removable hard drive. If you're not sure, by following the steps I linked above you'll find out (there either is or won't be a hard drive where the guide says there is one).
  10. Obsessive Power Win User

Is my HDD going bad?

I don't think the OP's console actually has a 'hard drive'. As the fast sentence states
    "We have a 360 Slim with a memory stick."

I'm pretty certain this this is an Xbox 360 4GB Slim, in which case it won't have 'hard drive' to remove. The 'Memory unit' is non user replaceable. Basically, looking at all the evidence, the console has some kind of of general hardware failure. The
    4GB Memory Unit in the 4GB slim can fail just like any Flash storage and it can not be removed because it's attached to the console motherboard.

If it was just the on-board storage that had failed, you could still use the console if you attached a hard drive. However, with the WiFi failing, the DVD drive not recognising discs and the inability to connect controllers properly suggests it has indeed
    failed.

Other than set up a repair, no there is nothing else you can do. Sorry.
  11. maxen Win User

Is my HDD going bad?

Hello Littleissa,

At this link here you can read about different troubleshooting steps pertaining to various hard drive-related issues:
    support.xbox.com/.../hard-drive

To take the hard drive out and put it back in you do not need to open up the console per sé, it's more opening a cover. There's a guide here, covering all the Xbox 360 models:

support.xbox.com/.../add-remove-hard-drive

You may also want to run through the steps for troubleshooting a bad update, which you can find here:

support.xbox.com/.../system-update-help

Let us know how you get on and if you have any questions.
  12. Irixion Win User

Is my HDD going bad?

OP --I'll save you some time. USB Thumb drives, use something known as flash memory. To save you time, they basically have a finite amount of read/writes before they stop working. For this reason, it's very, very cheap. For something like storing documents
    on, it's not a problem. However, since the Xbox reads and writes to the thumb drive a heck of a lot more than a document would, these drives fail quickly. I wouldn't recommend using a thumb drive on an Xbox for any amount of time. The performance on them is
    terrible, and they fail fairly quickly. For these reasons I suggest buying an external Hard Drive. You can buy 500 GB drives for fairly cheap, and they're going to last you a lot longer than a USB stick (provided you don't knock them around, mechanical drives
    are fragile creatures). As for brands, I would stay away from Seagate and PNY under all costs. You get what you pay for, and these drives are borderline trash. That, and they have compatibility issues with Xbox 360s. Western Digital drives are very resilient
    and are available for decent prices. I recommend buying a Western Digital Passport drive. They're small, portable, and are pretty darn great!

If your USB stick is working half the time, or at all, I would recommend that you stop use immediately to save your data from any potential loss that could happen if you continue using the drive.

If that's too long and you don't feel like reading that fat blob of text, don't use USB sticks. Buy yourself a Western Digital External. If you're tight on space you can buy a Western Digital Passport drive. Also, Seagate and PNY suck so avoid those.

Good luck! :)
  13. littleissa Win User

Is my HDD going bad?

Maybe I stated it wrong. It's got a flashdrive that my husband has some movies and a couple game saves on, but we only just got that last year. Before that, we weren't using any external memory for it. I don't know if that affects what can be done, but
    I thought I'd clarify just in case.
Thema:

Is my HDD going bad?

1. Is my HDD going bad? - Similar Threads - HDD going bad

2. Xbox One - Possible to swap internal HDD to recover data?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One - Possible to swap internal HDD to recover data?: So, I have a friend who's Xbox One HDMI port no longer works, he's upgraded to a Series X, but was not able to retrieve his account data off the old xbox. (Cannot remember password or email...
  3. Powered USB-Hub with HDD's not working anymore on my Series X after last ASA-update

in XboX Insiders
    Powered USB-Hub with HDD's not working anymore on my Series X after last ASA-update: Hi, i use a powered USB Hub with two HDD's and a Logitech Dongle since i own my Series X. After the last Update, it stopped working, so my 2 HDD`s won't work anymore:( Tested the Hub with my PC...
  4. On Xbox 360, If a game installs to HDD 100% without any problems, does this mean the disc...

in XBoX on Consoles
    On Xbox 360, If a game installs to HDD 100% without any problems, does this mean the disc...: on an Xbox 360, If a game installs to HDD 100% without any problems, does this mean the disc is healthy ? Is this a good way of testing whether a disc is healthy ?...
  5. External HDD issue with Xbox series S

in XBoX on Consoles
    External HDD issue with Xbox series S: My Xbox series S will no longer transfer games to my external HDD. I’ve noted that once the external HDD gets to about 3GB of data the transfer from internal storage will start to slow down the...
  6. Why are games on my hdd stuttering constantly?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why are games on my hdd stuttering constantly?: I understand this isn't necessarily microsofts products but I thought this would be a good place to go. Games on my Hdd are extremely slow and keep stuttering. It's a brand new hdd. Seagate...
  7. Xbox 360 S not detecting HDD

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 S not detecting HDD: Hi. I am trying to replace my Xbox 360 S HDD with another drive. The drive works I've tested it in a PC but it doesn't show up on my Xbox. Can you please help b5502ffd-2726-4e21-8bba-5094212d57be
  8. Mp3 player not recognised by Xbox but WD HDD is

in XBoX on Consoles
    Mp3 player not recognised by Xbox but WD HDD is: Xbox series s not recognised mp3 but recognised WD HDD RECON IT NEEDS UPDATING or does not recognised Sony mp3player 6d8253a6-d4f1-4fb0-99b1-f80e1949d6de
  9. Xbox 360 HDD preservation (Blades Dashboard)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 HDD preservation (Blades Dashboard): Hello, I have just received an old Xbox 360 with the original blades dashboard. The console is running a 20GB HDD, but it is showing its age. I’m looking to upgrade the drive but at the same time...
  10. External 500 go hdd

in XBoX on Consoles
    External 500 go hdd: Why won't my 360 use more than 32 go of external hdd. I thought the latest update added support for that? Please help. c657a15f-fcd7-48f0-bdc9-3fe538f4c239

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to know if my xbox hdd is going bad