Is it still possible to connect a Kinect v1 for Xbox 360 to a Linux computer?

Discus and support Is it still possible to connect a Kinect v1 for Xbox 360 to a Linux computer? in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I decided to see if I can still work with an old Kinect that I had in the house, just as a fun project. I have rewired the cable to be able to work... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by AqibJamshed, Aug 6, 2022.

  1. AqibJamshed
    AqibJamshed Guest

    Is it still possible to connect a Kinect v1 for Xbox 360 to a Linux computer?


    I decided to see if I can still work with an old Kinect that I had in the house, just as a fun project. I have rewired the cable to be able to work with an USB 2.0 cable, adding a 12V charger based on the kinect cable information that I found, and it does get recognized by my computer, which has Fedora Linux 36 on it.

    The "lsusb" and "usb-devices" commands show this information about the device:

    lsusb: Bus 001 Device 037: ID 045e:02c2 Microsoft Corp. Kinect for Windows NUI Motor

    usb-devices (the vendor "045e" is Microsoft, and the Product ID(ProdID) "02c2" is the model "Kinect for Windows NUI Motor"):

    I still don't know exactly what to do with the Kinect, but I'd like to code on it and see what it can do. The problem is that I've tried to run the camera with this "libfreenect" utility that I found, but it doesn't recognize the device, and most of what I've seen in Google about compatibility with Linux is from 10 years ago, so my question is: Is it still possible to use this model in a computer? And if so, do you know what are my options? What utilities should I get? Any help is appreciated, and please tell me if you need more information since I'm a bit clueless on this problem.

    :)
     
    AqibJamshed, Aug 6, 2022
    #1
  2. JosefLBohorquez Win User

    Is it still possible to connect a Kinect v1 for Xbox 360 to a Linux computer?

    Hi and thanks for reaching Microsoft Xbox gamer's community. My name is Josef.
    I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft Xbox user like you.

    Hope you're doing great today buddy

    Sadly nope, Linux systems are not compatible with Kinect.
    And, you can use the Xbox one kinect, but with windows. Not Linux :c

    Sorry
  3. MrNasty32 Win User

    Internet Error when trying to connect

    Belkin F7D2301 v1 (01)

    Motorola SBG6580-G228

    360 Previously worked when wired to Motorola

    XBOX One is unplugged and 360 back to factory defaults

    Still will not connect
  4. Lighte Yagami Win User

    To all you Kinect Haters

    [quote user="xenomorph v1"]

    @ Kiddeth... Surely you Kiddeth. So the Kinect is free then is it? Pffffft

    [/quote]People forget when comparing the launch price of the xbox 360 to the xbox one, that the xbox 360 didn't come with Kinect...I call it selective memory.
  5. Ezorith Win User

    Greetings.

    The Elite V1 does not support bluetooth. It can only connect to a computer using an Xbox Wireless USB Adapter stick, and that's what the sync button on the controller is for. You can however still use the controller via USB cable.
  6. ChuteTable9048 Win User

    Kinect 2 availability

    Xbox 360's Kinect = Kinect v1.

    Xbox 1's Kinect = Kinect v2.

    Don't believe BestBuy employees who probably only earn minimum wage. THEY are NOT Microsoft. Microsoft has discontinued manufacturing Xbox 360 consoles. They wouldn't discontinue manufacturing Xbox 1 Kinects, yet! There is officially NO Xbox 1 version 2
    Kinect. Read the start of my post. It provides a simple answer. People just add random stuff to the title of what they're selling and it can be easy for customers to get mislead by the title.
    What I meant in the parenthesis is that the version of Kinect v2 for Windows IS discontinued, but what he told me is that the Kinect v2 for Xbox One was also discontinued. I am not interested in the Kinect version 1. My question was about the Kinect v2 for
    Xbox One availability.

    But apparently it is still available, at least for now. Only the kinect v1 is not available on microsoft website. I had to do some research just to be sure.
Thema:

Is it still possible to connect a Kinect v1 for Xbox 360 to a Linux computer?

Loading...
  1. Is it still possible to connect a Kinect v1 for Xbox 360 to a Linux computer? - Similar Threads - still possible connect

  2. Omega ring patch notes says mythic achievements are available but i still dont have them

    in XboX Insiders
    Omega ring patch notes says mythic achievements are available but i still dont have them: I checked the omega ring patch notes this morning and it said mythic achievements were available however i have updated my console and still nothing is there can someone explain this to me...
  3. Is the Mythic Achievement still not showing up on PC?

    in XboX Insiders
    Is the Mythic Achievement still not showing up on PC?: I just got my first Mythic Achievement on PC, in the game INSIDE. Even though the achievement popped up during gameplay, it’s still not showing as available on my profile (and it’s not showing up...
  4. I'm in Delta but still haven't received the Mythic Achievements update

    in XboX Insiders
    I'm in Delta but still haven't received the Mythic Achievements update: Basically, I was in the Xbox Insider Program years ago, and I joined again when I found out Mythic Achievements had been added. I’m in the Delta ring, but I still haven’t received the update. Is...
  5. 1440p Remote Play - Is this alpha only still?

    in XboX Insiders
    1440p Remote Play - Is this alpha only still?: I’ve been trying to understand how to get the newly updated Remote Play to actually show at 1440p across many different test devices to no avail. I see the updated options, I can check the 1440p...
  6. I cant sign into my xbox 360, I used all my possible passwords and it still is not working,...

    in XBoX Accessibility
    I cant sign into my xbox 360, I used all my possible passwords and it still is not working,...: Just help me with the sign in... please. Ive resent passwords and everything. 9571c659-42d8-4018-ab3a-b3f12b622195
  7. Is it possible to still transfer my minecraft account?

    in XBoX Accessibility
    Is it possible to still transfer my minecraft account?: So here's the thing, I was unable to be online at the time of the transfer (from 2020-late 2024) due to medical reasons is it still possible to get my minecraft account back and working? PC gamer...
  8. Is it possible to migrate a 360 gamer tag to my new Microsoft account and still play my...

    in XBoX Games and Apps
    Is it possible to migrate a 360 gamer tag to my new Microsoft account and still play my...: Hi guys, I have an old 360 account which is connected to my parents old email which he no longer has access too. On this account I have a number of purchased games I would like to access. I still...
  9. Is it still not possible to stream from one console to another?

    in XBoX on Consoles
    Is it still not possible to stream from one console to another?: I have a Series X in my living room, a One X in my bedroom. I have Starfield installed on my Series X, in a quick resume state. I want to be able to turn on my Xbox One X in my Bedroom, select...
  10. Gears of War 4 Ultimate Edition GoW 1-3 codes still possible to use?

    in XBoX Games and Apps
    Gears of War 4 Ultimate Edition GoW 1-3 codes still possible to use?: Hello! Just bought a new/unopened copy of Gears of war 4 ultimate edition which contains codes to be able to download Gears of war 1, 2, 3 (x360 versions). But before opening the game I want to...