Is it still possible to connect a Kinect v1 for Xbox 360 to a Linux computer?

Discus and support Is it still possible to connect a Kinect v1 for Xbox 360 to a Linux computer? in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I decided to see if I can still work with an old Kinect that I had in the house, just as a fun project. I have rewired the cable to be able to work... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by AqibJamshed, Aug 6, 2022.

1. AqibJamshed
    AqibJamshed Guest

I decided to see if I can still work with an old Kinect that I had in the house, just as a fun project. I have rewired the cable to be able to work with an USB 2.0 cable, adding a 12V charger based on the kinect cable information that I found, and it does get recognized by my computer, which has Fedora Linux 36 on it.

The "lsusb" and "usb-devices" commands show this information about the device:

lsusb: Bus 001 Device 037: ID 045e:02c2 Microsoft Corp. Kinect for Windows NUI Motor

usb-devices (the vendor "045e" is Microsoft, and the Product ID(ProdID) "02c2" is the model "Kinect for Windows NUI Motor"):

I still don't know exactly what to do with the Kinect, but I'd like to code on it and see what it can do. The problem is that I've tried to run the camera with this "libfreenect" utility that I found, but it doesn't recognize the device, and most of what I've seen in Google about compatibility with Linux is from 10 years ago, so my question is: Is it still possible to use this model in a computer? And if so, do you know what are my options? What utilities should I get? Any help is appreciated, and please tell me if you need more information since I'm a bit clueless on this problem.

:)

AqibJamshed, Aug 6, 2022
  2. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Hi and thanks for reaching Microsoft Xbox gamer's community. My name is Josef.
    I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft Xbox user like you.

Hope you're doing great today buddy

Sadly nope, Linux systems are not compatible with Kinect.
    And, you can use the Xbox one kinect, but with windows. Not Linux :c

Sorry
  3. MrNasty32 Win User

Internet Error when trying to connect

Belkin F7D2301 v1 (01)

Motorola SBG6580-G228

360 Previously worked when wired to Motorola

XBOX One is unplugged and 360 back to factory defaults

Still will not connect
  4. Lighte Yagami Win User

To all you Kinect Haters

[quote user="xenomorph v1"]

@ Kiddeth... Surely you Kiddeth. So the Kinect is free then is it? Pffffft

[/quote]People forget when comparing the launch price of the xbox 360 to the xbox one, that the xbox 360 didn't come with Kinect...I call it selective memory.
  5. Ezorith Win User

Greetings.

The Elite V1 does not support bluetooth. It can only connect to a computer using an Xbox Wireless USB Adapter stick, and that's what the sync button on the controller is for. You can however still use the controller via USB cable.
  6. ChuteTable9048 Win User

Kinect 2 availability

Xbox 360's Kinect = Kinect v1.

Xbox 1's Kinect = Kinect v2.

Don't believe BestBuy employees who probably only earn minimum wage. THEY are NOT Microsoft. Microsoft has discontinued manufacturing Xbox 360 consoles. They wouldn't discontinue manufacturing Xbox 1 Kinects, yet! There is officially NO Xbox 1 version 2
    Kinect. Read the start of my post. It provides a simple answer. People just add random stuff to the title of what they're selling and it can be easy for customers to get mislead by the title.
    What I meant in the parenthesis is that the version of Kinect v2 for Windows IS discontinued, but what he told me is that the Kinect v2 for Xbox One was also discontinued. I am not interested in the Kinect version 1. My question was about the Kinect v2 for
    Xbox One availability.

But apparently it is still available, at least for now. Only the kinect v1 is not available on microsoft website. I had to do some research just to be sure.
Thema:

1. Is it still possible to connect a Kinect v1 for Xbox 360 to a Linux computer? - Similar Threads - still possible connect

2. Why is city skylines 2 still not available on Xbox even though it is spring 2024.

in XBoX on Windows
    Why is city skylines 2 still not available on Xbox even though it is spring 2024.: I’m confused about the fact that we’re half way through April and we still have not heard any news about city skylines 2 coming to Xbox series x/s. We were told early spring 2024, but nothing has...
  3. I've done all the steps and it still wont let me reply or make a group

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    I've done all the steps and it still wont let me reply or make a group: it won't let me make or reply to groups even though I did all the things it told me to do 70db31d5-bf8a-4594-b5f6-e886e38f2021
  4. Can you still get into skip ahead rings?

in XboX Insiders
    Can you still get into skip ahead rings?: I’m still waiting trying to get into the skip ahead rings is it still possible to get in there almost in insiders for 5 years now submitted by /u/OrneryRecording8883 [link] [comments]
  5. Halo wars DE on Xbox one not connecting to multiplayer. Uninstalled the game and it still...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Halo wars DE on Xbox one not connecting to multiplayer. Uninstalled the game and it still...: Halo wars DE on Xbox one not connecting to multiplayer. Uninstalled the game and it still won’t connect any advise. 36b00320-79cb-4163-953b-3c7b1e9394a0
  6. I had a repaire done on an elite 2 controller it was returned …still broken and with...

in XBoX on Windows
    I had a repaire done on an elite 2 controller it was returned …still broken and with...: In December of 2023 I purchased and elite 2 controller and by mid April 24 it was broken. The sticks drift and get stuck making it impossible to play. It was “repaired” under warranty. I received...
  7. I have an ssd Seagate Xbox 2TB Portable Gaming Hard Drive but it still doesn’t let me play...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I have an ssd Seagate Xbox 2TB Portable Gaming Hard Drive but it still doesn’t let me play...: I have an ssd Seagate Xbox 2TB Portable Gaming Hard Drive but it still doesn’t let me play games from my hardrive!? All I have read is that you can’t play x/a games on hdd but this one says it is...
  8. Is it possible to migrate a 360 gamer tag to my new Microsoft account and still play my...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Is it possible to migrate a 360 gamer tag to my new Microsoft account and still play my...: Hi guys, I have an old 360 account which is connected to my parents old email which he no longer has access too. On this account I have a number of purchased games I would like to access. I still...
  9. Is it still not possible to stream from one console to another?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is it still not possible to stream from one console to another?: I have a Series X in my living room, a One X in my bedroom. I have Starfield installed on my Series X, in a quick resume state. I want to be able to turn on my Xbox One X in my Bedroom, select...
  10. Gears of War 4 Ultimate Edition GoW 1-3 codes still possible to use?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Gears of War 4 Ultimate Edition GoW 1-3 codes still possible to use?: Hello! Just bought a new/unopened copy of Gears of war 4 ultimate edition which contains codes to be able to download Gears of war 1, 2, 3 (x360 versions). But before opening the game I want to...