Is it possible to block messages from strangers without blocking their voice comms?

Discus and support Is it possible to block messages from strangers without blocking their voice comms? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Hi all! I play a decent amount of PvP games on my xbox, which require tons of voice communication. The downfall of these games, however, is the awful... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by M ‘PeeWee’ B, Oct 27, 2022.

1. Is it possible to block messages from strangers without blocking their voice comms?

Hi all!

I play a decent amount of PvP games on my xbox, which require tons of voice communication. The downfall of these games, however, is the awful messages you receive from strangers, and relatively none of them (profanity, harassment or just plainly and obviously instigative) ever seem to receive any action against them when reported. So over the years, I’ve occasionally turned the setting “Others can communicate with voice, texts, or invites” to friends only, just to keep the trolls from getting under my skin. Unfortunately, this means I can no longer communicate with any of my teammates when playing in game chat, as it mutes them. I also can’t talk with any “friends of friends” who join my party chats, which is super inconvenient and just plain awkward.

Am I missing something? Is it at all possible to block *text and invites* from strangers without blocking their *voice*? If not, will it ever be in the works to split the “Others can communicate with voice, texts, or invites” into three separate options? Thanks!

:)

M ‘PeeWee’ B, Oct 27, 2022
  2. Nathan Roberts (SN) Win User

Is it possible to block messages from strangers without blocking their voice comms?

Hey there, M ‘PeeWee’ B

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

Unfortunately, what you are looking for, isn't available on Xbox. The setting once applied (which in your case it is) will block all communication with people unless they are on your friends list. With friends of friends, you could add them to your friends list (follow them) and this should allow them to talk to you in parties and games. However, for your team mates online, unless you add them, there isn't much you can do with this.

Depending on what PvP you are playing, will depend on how many people are talking in game chat anyway. Most PvP games I play folk don't tent to chat in game anymore.

In terms of reports which have been submitted against a player. These are reviewed and action is taken if necessary. Although, the Enforcement team don't provide any insight into what action they have taken. If you are lucky, you may get a message saying "We have taken action on one or more recent complaints" but that will be about it. Thus, you won't know what has been done. However, rest assured that they do review and act accordingly.

Lastly, if you want to make suggestions to folk at Xbox, you can submit suggestions here: xboxrequests - xboxinsiders (reddit.com)

Hope this helps,

Nathan
  3. Mister Gwyther Win User

Blocking messages from strangers

Hey there! That link above is good (thanks Inferior!). You can also check out our guide on Harassment, Filing a complaint, and Blocking communication for more tips (forums.xbox.com/.../19139.aspx).
    Let us know if you have any questions about this process. Thanks!
  4. rakastansinua Win User

A friendly user... I nearly thought you guys were extinct. Anyway, thanks for the help you two, I also took a gander at your guide and now I've got one question ; does blocking text-and voice messages also prevent people from talking to you in a game?

That'd be all, and thanks again for the nice replies. This online bullying is starting to get to me.
  5. Toefungus75 Win User

thanks for the link inferior! I didn't know they added the ability to block all messages unless they're on your friend list. That's just awesome.
  6. VernierSlake Win User

I believe disabling chat from non friends is a seperate option.
Thema:

1. Is it possible to block messages from strangers without blocking their voice comms? - Similar Threads - possible block messages

2. Is it possible to plug in a expansion bay into the ssd expansion port to plug in more than...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is it possible to plug in a expansion bay into the ssd expansion port to plug in more than...: Is it possible to plug in a expansion bay into the ssd expansion port to plug in more than one external ssd? Cos I wanna have more than 2tb via ssd because on hdds you have to transfer the newer...
  3. Is it possible to code a gaming mouse using the brainded cable itself??

in XBoX Accessibility
    Is it possible to code a gaming mouse using the brainded cable itself??: Is it possible to code a gaming mouse using the brainded cable itself?? I have a GM600 (Ant E-sports) Is there any way to do it..? b9b26253-936c-4233-8232-cbb9b3758fd3
  4. Is it possible to play my Microsoft Windows 10 Xbox app PC through my Xbox one hdmi in and...

in XBoX on Windows
    Is it possible to play my Microsoft Windows 10 Xbox app PC through my Xbox one hdmi in and...: I am unable to broadcast my Microsoft Windows environment across my other Microsoft Windows devices. please help thanks 1c4b0da4-6be0-47ad-8a8a-0b11312a4df2
  5. isn't it possible to change colors of my keyboard bc of my laptop version?

in XBoX Accessibility
    isn't it possible to change colors of my keyboard bc of my laptop version?: on my asus tuf dash F15 FX517zc laptop i couldn't choose colors for my keyboard bc there isn't any color in it and i couldn't connet my aura creator to it. isn't it possible to change colors of my...
  6. Is it possible to turn on variable refresh rate with the HDMI override setting on?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is it possible to turn on variable refresh rate with the HDMI override setting on?: Whenever I turn my Xbox’s HDMI override setting on, the option to turn on variable refresh rate is greyed out. Is there anyway to turn on variable refresh rate, with the HDMI override setting on?...
  7. Is this possible?

in XBoX on Windows
    Is this possible?: I bought an xbox with a fortnite and rocket league bundle . I want to claim the bundle on a different account but when i try to do so it says claim the bundle with a different account . i have...
  8. How to make Xbox Elite Wireless Series 2 to work with wired headsets on BT? Even possible?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How to make Xbox Elite Wireless Series 2 to work with wired headsets on BT? Even possible?: Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 doesn't seem to work with wired headphones when on BT. Works fine when on USB.. how to make it work? I bought 2 of these expecting to use them with...
  9. i want to use paypal to pay xbox dev mode how i do it and its possible?

in XBoX on Windows
    i want to use paypal to pay xbox dev mode how i do it and its possible?: i want to use paypal and i want to know its possible or not? 091b7486-acad-4eaa-8b7f-640018b0e55d
  10. Need advice on a possible hack of my account

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Need advice on a possible hack of my account: I play Star Wars Battlefront with a group of friends. We have a group chat that we used. A few months ago we started having problems accessing it. We could only do so via the app. I discovered we...