Is it normal for Xbox Series S to force a password change?

Discus and support Is it normal for Xbox Series S to force a password change? in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; I have configured my Xbox for automatic sign in since the beginning and I was always able to turn it on and access my account instantly. Not tonight.... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by Kaeros_85, Sep 23, 2022.

1. Kaeros_85
    Kaeros_85 Guest

I have configured my Xbox for automatic sign in since the beginning and I was always able to turn it on and access my account instantly. Not tonight. Tonight I was forced to change my password "for my security". No way around this, power cycling the console etc. didn't change it, as soon as I entered I was stuck at this prompt.

Begrudgingly I did it, even if the process took way too long because:

1. It made me insert 3 passwords (old password, new one, new one again) -BEFORE- checking if the old password was correct.

2. Process 1. took me multiple trials because the "show password option" was not present

3. After reaching the end it made me insert my new password -AGAIN- because "there were recent changes to my account" (I know, -YOU- made me do them!).

4. Point 3 still lacked a "show password" option, but it had a "use another device" option. I tried to click it hoping that I could use the Authenticator on my phone, but no dice. The button didn't do anything, it just sent the cursor back to the password prompt.

5. This changed my Microsoft account password, so I had to login again on all my other devices.

Now my questions are two:

1. Is this normal? Does this happens? Or is that an elaborate hack? I've checked on my Microsoft Account and, as far as I can tell, it's not set for automatically prompt password change every 70 days or so.

2. If this is normal...WHY?? It's a super annoying and badly designed procedure! Combined with the fact that the Xbox is unable to memorize wi-fi passwords (again, WHY??!) it made my evening 90% password typing and 10% gaming...not exactly what I'd expect from a gaming console!

:)

Kaeros_85, Sep 23, 2022
  2. Scotty0955 Win User

Hello, Kaeros_85

I'm one of the Ambassadors on Xbox

Sometimes this may happen in account security there is an option to prompt you to change your password every 72 days but you can change this so it doesn't happen again at https://login.live.com/

In order to turn this option off, you will need to change your password on the website and untick the option to change every 72 days

Hope this helps :)
  3. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Hi and thanks for reaching Microsoft Xbox gamer's community. My name is Josef.
    I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft Xbox user like you.

Hope you're doing great today despite this KAEROS_85

Nope, is not a hack. Is the opposite, that measure allows you to reduce the possibilities to be hacked (in case your password is leaked)

I know that can be frustrating typing the password on a console in general (lack of keyboard), but if the system is asking you to do that is better to use a PC or a phone and do it from here:
    https://account.microsoft.com/security

After that you can verify your identity on the console (there is an option to avoid typing the password, it's related to link.microsoft.com <in any case, the console guides you on this process>)
  4. Kaeros_85 Win User

1. If the password change is forced because my Microsoft account was compromised/phished I should absolutely not discover it from an Xbox! I should be pushed out of all my active logins everywhere and forced to change a password before accessing again. Instead my Outlook email etc. worked perfectly fine. It was just turning on the Xbox that prompted this behavior. Plus, I should be clearly notified about the cause of what's happening instead of generic "security reasons" (i.e.: your account has been compromised, please change password, etc. etc.). So I hope that's not the cause, because it would be kind of crazy to have a game console notify me so obscurely of a serious account breach and nothing else in the Microsoft ecosystem...

2. As I stated in my message, my account is -not- set for automatic password change, so that should not be the cause (at least not that I can see).

3. I don't think I've gameshared...or at least I do not know what it is. I've played multiplayer games in party with few people that I know personally and no-one else.

4. I still do not understand clearly from your reply if it means that what I've experienced does happen or it is an anomalous behavior. Have you ever experienced your Xbox forcing you to change your password?
  5. ngocphi Win User

Depends one if you use it on multiple websites email and password combos and one of them get phished and you are listed as a known login and password even google will force you to change

(Anonymous lists )

This is why you don't have the same email and password on different sites.

Also if you clicked on change every 72 days or require password or someone who you gameshare with triws to put in your password too many times wrong can trigger a fraud lock requiring a change

Or worse you tried checking your email with an old password too many times and it locks you out
  6. Obsessive Power Win User

Please help me

The 'App password' for the Xbox 360 is a work-around for the two step verification system available for the Xbox One/Series X|S. As the Xbox 360 doesn't support 2 step, you need to use an 'App Password' on these consoles.

For the Xbox One and Series X|S consoles, you need to use your Microsoft account password.
Thema:

1. Is it normal for Xbox Series S to force a password change? - Similar Threads - normal Series force

2. Strange dust residue on Xbox Series X? Is this normal?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Strange dust residue on Xbox Series X? Is this normal?: Hi! Just picked up my series x few days ago and after a few hours of playing I notticed this white-ish substance. What is this? I do not have humidifier in that room or anything like that. Can...
  3. It's normal my series s it's not updated?

in XboX Insiders
    It's normal my series s it's not updated?: Hi everyone. It's normal that my new xbox series s has the october 2021 omega update while my xbox one s already has the august 2022 with discord? How can I update my series s to the last omega...
  4. Xbox Series S Fan isn't humming like normal.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series S Fan isn't humming like normal.: So usually when I play on my series s the fan makes a loudish noise but the other day it suddenly went quiet when I turned it on. Usually I dont mind the fan cause I know its helping my xbox keep...
  5. Xbox series s, not clear, is it Normal?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series s, not clear, is it Normal?: The console, new, bought a month ago, works well, does not heat up much in games, cools down well, but I noticed that sometimes the console menu, even if nothing is installed, and is not running,...
  6. my x series smells like soldering. this is normal?

in XBoX on Consoles
    my x series smells like soldering. this is normal?: I bought my video game today and noticed that there is a soldering smell coming from the cooler. is this normal or should i worry? I only managed to place it horizontally. is that why? Seriously...
  7. wanted help on my series x, don't know if this is normal?

in XboX Insiders
    wanted help on my series x, don't know if this is normal?: https://www.reddit.com/r/XboxSeriesXlS/comments/pyz0vj/is_this_normal_seems_like_a_delay_when_plugging/ I posted this on reddit, within the xbox section haven't got a proper reply, since this is...
  8. Is this normal that the vent of my Series X is running 24/7 in Standby only on alpha skip...

in XboX Insiders
    Is this normal that the vent of my Series X is running 24/7 in Standby only on alpha skip...: u/neonepiphany would you be able to enlighten me please? submitted by /u/Pschirki [link] [comments]
  9. xbox series X to be able to choose the game with xs or normal patch

in XBoX Games and Apps
    xbox series X to be able to choose the game with xs or normal patch: Xbox series X to be able to choose the game with xs or normal patch because the sd disk is 1 Tb and the external hard disk I have 8 Tb and having the games the XS patch I can no longer play them...
  10. Why is my Series S stuck In the startup screen and then it turns off and turns on normally?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is my Series S stuck In the startup screen and then it turns off and turns on normally?: When I turned on my Xbox Series s, it got stuck on the startup screen and the power button was flashing. Then the console turned off and then it started up normally. This has happened to me two...