Installed windows on a new hard drive and Cant transfer my save data or change where...

Discus and support Installed windows on a new hard drive and Cant transfer my save data or change where... in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I recently installed windows on my new SSD, and I am trying to change my default install location for my apps on gamepass to my D drive, but it keeps... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by whitman2, Nov 20, 2021.

1. whitman2
    whitman2 Guest

Installed windows on a new hard drive and Cant transfer my save data or change where...

I recently installed windows on my new SSD, and I am trying to change my default install location for my apps on gamepass to my D drive, but it keeps giving me error code 0x80070005. I've followed a rabbit hole of fixes and tutorials on user permission changes, sharing setting and command prompt commands and cant get anything to work. As far as i can tell i should have full access to my D drive.

I had games already installed on my D drive and I my save data should be on my old C drive (now E drive), and I cant transfer that either, it tells me "that i cant place files here" and shows little locks on the files.

I'm super frustrated as I didn't expect putting windows on a new disk to brick game pass and lock me out of half of my files for 2 weeks, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Anyway, more recently as per the suggestion of another user I tried a clean boot, but somewhat unsurprisingly that didn't fix the issue as this is all it disabled

Installed windows on a new hard drive and Cant transfer my save data or change where... [​IMG]

To clarify what's going on, I installed a new copy of windows onto a different drive (now C) and am now running my computer off of that drive.

This drive is an SSD and pretty small, so I'm trying to keep most of my files on my other (2tb) drive (D).

The two primary issues I'm having are with game pass.

I'm trying to change my default install location on gamepass/xbox app (though this seems to be based on my default install location for all windows apps), but when I do, this happens:

Installed windows on a new hard drive and Cant transfer my save data or change where... [​IMG]

(yes i changed the "new apps will save to:" field to my D drive, but when the error pops up it changes back to C)

The secondary issue I'm having is with my save data for some of my non cloud saved games.

I have my old C drive that had all my user information and my old windows install on, which is now E drive

So I'm trying to transfer my save data from my E drive to my C or D drive, in this case in my old app data folder to my desktop:

But when I try to make a copy of this data or transfer it, this happens

Thanks in advance for any help

:)

whitman2, Nov 20, 2021
  2. whitman2 Win User

Installed windows on a new hard drive and Cant transfer my save data or change where gamepass installs games

I just did a safe mode boot and was able to delete the windowsapps folder, but it still did not allow me to change my default app location, its giving me the same error.
  3. whitman2 Win User

Installed windows on a new hard drive and Cant transfer my save data or change where gamepass installs games

im trying to delete my old windows app folder on my D drive but its saying its open in another program.

[​IMG]

Im not sure what would have it open as this is my old folder and nothing should be running off of it

This is the whole contents of the folder

[​IMG]

I tied deleteting the actual contents of the folder first aswell and got this

[​IMG]

and then theres one of these for each game,

[​IMG]

Is there something i need to end in task manager to delete the folders?

Also do you have any information regarding transfering my save data ?
  4. Farscape247 Win User

re installing the OS or changing hdd means you have to remove the windows apps folder and download again, the folder where the games go is encrypted to that one install of the os and cannot be moved or synced to a new os.

once removed then you can redownload all the gamepass games again.
  5. Dauph762 Win User

usb transfer issues

does that mean i have no chance at transferring these saved games to my new hard-drive? , and do the individual saved games have licenses?..if i where to transfer the data back on to the old hard drive do you feel that i could successfully transfer that
    data with the data transfer cable?

sorry for all the questions im a big mass effect fan and i have a couple play throughs on both games it would really suck if ME3 came out and i wouldn't be able to carry my games over.

again thanks for the link and your help
  6. x24hrs2livex Win User

Recover game data

Are you talking about save data for each game? If so you would need to use a transfer cable to transfer your files from the old hard drive. If you know longer have the old hard drive and didnt use the cloud you cant recover the saves
Thema:

1. Installed windows on a new hard drive and Cant transfer my save data or change where... - Similar Threads - Installed windows hard

2. Problem with installing Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 11

in XBoX on Windows
    Problem with installing Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 11: I have had the flight simulator premium deluxe 40th anniversary game since December 2023. It is installed on the xbox series x console and works fine. I installed it on Windows 10 with the Xbox...
  3. Help me I am tied to install XBOX application on my window 11 single home version. Error...

in XBoX on Windows
    Help me I am tied to install XBOX application on my window 11 single home version. Error...: Help me I tied to install Xbox application. Also, I applied all below mentioned command on my laptop. My Window11 comes with Home Single edition 23H2 Version. this command applies my laptop and...
  4. I cannot install Xbox app on my Windows 11 PC? I get this message: We weren't able to...

in XBoX on Windows
    I cannot install Xbox app on my Windows 11 PC? I get this message: We weren't able to...: I cannot install Xbox app on my Windows 11 PC? I get this message from Windows 11: "We weren't able to install the app (0x80073CF6)" 31635452-d5bb-429e-a940-28a80cf9fb78
  5. when trying to instal gaming services for xbox on my windows 10 pc it will nearly download...

in XBoX on Consoles
    when trying to instal gaming services for xbox on my windows 10 pc it will nearly download...: please can anyone respond with help 35743a80-e07b-480d-bc1e-e87ccf82fd40
  6. Windows Cannot Access The Specified Device, Path, or File" Error When You Try to Install,...

in XBoX on Windows
    Windows Cannot Access The Specified Device, Path, or File" Error When You Try to Install,...: Ok so I was playing Fortnite and for a while I got off to take a break, 3hrs later I return (nothing has changed) and when I launch I get the issue in the title. I have tried literally everything...
  7. X3 gamepad bluetooth code for a newly installed windows pc

in XBoX on Consoles
    X3 gamepad bluetooth code for a newly installed windows pc: [img] i want to connect a X3 controller to my pc via Bluetooth and its asking for a pin yesterday it connected without any pin but this time its asking for pin i tried the one time code(OTP)...
  8. I have no idea how to install/play Flight Simulator on my Windows 10 computer?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I have no idea how to install/play Flight Simulator on my Windows 10 computer?: Purchased Flight Simulator online in Nov, 2023. Expected a disk. Only received a receipt. MS has done absolutely nothing for me to get it installed and playable on my PC. One advisor that I was...
  9. Will the xbox app detect my previously installed games after installing new windows?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Will the xbox app detect my previously installed games after installing new windows?: im currently on windows 10 and im going fresh install windows 11 on my pc. i have 3 games of around 150gb on my hard drive (downloaded using xbox app) and im going to install windows on a...
  10. Fresh Windows install to fix up gaming PC but in Xbox App Settings for Offline Devices Get...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Fresh Windows install to fix up gaming PC but in Xbox App Settings for Offline Devices Get...: You are at the limit of 3 selections of PC for offline play in 365 days. You can choose a new PC on... But it's the same computer just with a fresh Windows Install. Same Serial Number and...