Inactive Gamertags ever being released (again)?

Discus and support Inactive Gamertags ever being released (again)? in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; Anyone from the community know if their will ever be another Xbox gamertag release? Been holding out for a gamertag for years & it was last active 10+... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by Blainey15, Oct 19, 2022.

1. Blainey15
    Blainey15 Guest

Anyone from the community know if their will ever be another Xbox gamertag release? Been holding out for a gamertag for years & it was last active 10+ years ago (on Xbox that is...) :/

I am aware that if an account is inactive for 2 years then it will be closed down & the username released (Correct me if I am wrong) but surely if it was last used 10+ years ago on Xbox then it would have been released by now? :/

:)

Blainey15, Oct 19, 2022
  2. Smwutches Win User

There won't be another mass release. In 2016 they updated the policy that if a person doesn't sign into their Xbox account within 5 years, it will be released. If they don't sign into their Microsoft account within 2 years, that will be closed which should free up the tag as well. There's no way to know for sure how long an account has been active since they are used for multiple Microsoft services.
  3. Daft Badger Win User

Gamertag question

How do you know the account isn't being used on another service other than xbox live?

You have no way of knowing if an account is inactive or not.

Gamertags aren't an on demand service,if it says the tag is taken then that's it,you'll either have to wait to see if it ever gets freed up or pic a different gamertag.

Before the rule change there had only ever been 2 times when inactive gamertags were released since xbox live started & even then not all gamertags were released.At least now you have a chance of getting the tag you want if it isn't being used.
  4. iMaGeS-8DD2FA1E-8CBD Win User

Unreleased Gamertag Request

its shows its released but in reality it is probably blocked by an inactive spaced version. Gamertag will not be usuable imo until the inactive spaced version is removed. Which i think microsoft should remove since the gamertag is being wasted.
  5. iMaGeS-8DD2FA1E-8CBD Win User

Original gamertag is inaccessible & GLITCHED due to a inactive spaced version

Inactive spaced gamertags should be removed and released. They are inactive, 100 percent inactive place holding gamertags.
  6. XBF Chris J Win User

Gamertag Availability

Hello there,

Thank you for posting here on the Xbox forums. It is up to Microsoft as to when unused gamertags become available to the masses. After a certain amount of time where the Gamertag is inactive, the gamertag will then be released.

Also, 3 years ago Microsoft released a million inactive gamertags to the public. I'm hoping they do that again soon!

Hope this helps!
Thema:

1. Inactive Gamertags ever being released (again)? - Similar Threads - Inactive Gamertags ever

2. Can you guys vacate an inactive user for me?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Can you guys vacate an inactive user for me?: Hi, I have a few questions regarding about your inactive policy rule for Xbox usernames. I was wondering if you could vacate the user name y66 since it hasn’t been active for 5 years. Get back to...
  3. So what happens to inactive players on the Xbox platform

in XBoX on Consoles
    So what happens to inactive players on the Xbox platform: There’s a name that I really want “Cal II S141” but it’s taken by a guy who hasn’t logged on since 2017 would I just have to wait and hope they change the gamertag which could take x amount of...
  4. Account deleted due to inactivity, can no longer access Minecraft?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Account deleted due to inactivity, can no longer access Minecraft?: Hi all. Just from looking around I have a suspicion that there's nothing that can be done about this, but I figured I'd ask in a last ditch attempt. A couple years back, I created a Microsoft...
  5. Inactive & take usernames

in XBoX Accessibility
    Inactive & take usernames: Hi, I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to inquire about the availability of the username "Ink" on Xbox Live. Currently, the name appears to be taken, and I am eager to explore the...
  6. How do I cancel a subscription I’m paying that's inactive

in XBoX Accessibility
    How do I cancel a subscription I’m paying that's inactive: My son old profile is inactive since April 23 but I’m still paying monthly. My son has new profile which I’m also paying for. Problem is we do not have access to old profile as ex husband email...
  7. Inactive Gamertag QUESTION

in XBoX Accessibility
    Inactive Gamertag QUESTION: Hello, there is a gamertag i have wanted for a really long time but it is owned by an account that has been inactive for 15 years, will there ever be a way for me to get it or is it lost to time?...
  8. Anyway to get a inactive players gamertag?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Anyway to get a inactive players gamertag?: My ign rn is li lucizd but it’s changed from GibranGamer8294 to notgibran01 and i wanted to try to see if i could get the gamer tag gibran or gibrn. I looked at the accounts and they seem to be...
  9. How to submit a ticket for requesting an inactive account gamertag to be reset?

in XBoX Accessibility
    How to submit a ticket for requesting an inactive account gamertag to be reset?: I want to change my gamertag to the name I use on all other platforms, the gamertag is used by an inactive (atleast 5 years inactive) Xbox account. How can this gamertag be reset so that I can use...
  10. Why did my gamertag transfer back to the inactive "original Xbox" account that it was on...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why did my gamertag transfer back to the inactive "original Xbox" account that it was on...: Hello, I am currently at a loss for words. I recently changed one of my unique gamertags in order to make it available to swap to a different account that I actually use. I have since spent the...