I’m having difficulties playing Gears of War GFWL on Windows 10. Please help!

Discus and support I’m having difficulties playing Gears of War GFWL on Windows 10. Please help! in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, recently I found my old copy of Gears of War 1 for the PC. Back when Games for Windows Live was around. I was happy to find my old copy placed... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Alex Doerner, Feb 19, 2023.

1. Alex Doerner
    Alex Doerner Guest

Hello, recently I found my old copy of Gears of War 1 for the PC. Back when Games for Windows Live was around. I was happy to find my old copy placed in that big box that PC games disks use to be housed in lol. For old times sake I put my disk into my Windows 10 PC to install and play it. Installing took a while but I managed to complete installation. Then it wouldn’t work. So I changed the clock on my PC to go back to the year 2008. When I changed my clock I finally managed to start playing Gears of War.

Unfortunately two new problems arised.

1.) it won’t let me change the resolution or graphics settings of any kind. so I’m always stuck with having to play this game at a very low resolution. Somehow the frame rate works fine and is well over 60 FPS with no frame drops or dips whatsoever. the frame rate is just buttery smooth.

2.) it requires me to log into Games For Windows Live just to even save my campaign progress. GFWL shut down years ago. It won’t let me log on.

It’s hard to enjoy this game playing below 720p and not being able to save while always having to change your PC clock to 2008 just to play this game. The only thing that does work is having a really high and stable frame rate.

I don’t know what to do or if there’s even a work around. Please help me if possible. Thank you.

:)

Alex Doerner, Feb 19, 2023
  2. SwordofWhedon Win User

There is a new modern remaster of the game, often on sale and always on Game Pass that will likely work better for you

I have several GFWL games like Virtua Tennis orphaned
  3. Rostom L Win User

Hi Alex!

Thanks for reaching us out here. I am afraid that this cannot be supported anymore here. Microsoft no longer provides customer support for individual Games for Windows Live titles.

You may refer to the article here https://support.xbox.com/help/games-apps/my-gam...
  4. Obsessive Power Win User

Hi,

The issue with the date is likely because the game has an issue with the digital signature expiry. I suggest you look at the Gears of War entry on the PCGamingwiki website for this and other fixes.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Gears_of_War

I use this site to fix potential issues with older PC games.
  5. Capitain Gonzo Win User

Windows 7 and Gears 5 Ultimate Edition

You have to Install Windows 10 to install and Play Gears of War 5. Windows 7 is out of Support at the End of this year
  6. DiffuseManx7 Win User

Xbox play anywhere questions

I have noticed gears of war ultimate edition was is able to play on windows 10 is it going to be part of xbox play anywhere and iff so do I have to buy it again on windows 10
Thema:

1. I’m having difficulties playing Gears of War GFWL on Windows 10. Please help! - Similar Threads - I’m having difficulties

2. Yes I’m having issues bad with my Xbox controller having stuck drift on Fortnite and it’s...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Yes I’m having issues bad with my Xbox controller having stuck drift on Fortnite and it’s...: Yes dear Microsoft I’m having really bad issues with my Xbox controller having stick drift on Fortnite I’ve done shut auto run off and it still wants do this I’m on disability and can’t afford...
  3. Who’s having problems with Xbox messages because I’m having it right now

in XBoX on Windows
    Who’s having problems with Xbox messages because I’m having it right now: My account is saying “Oops! Looks like you’re stranded… pull down to refresh or try again later.” I’ve tried everything to fix it but my messages won’t load nor can I send any messages...
  4. I’m having problems moving Sea of Thieves from my 4TB external drive to my Internal. Need help

in XboX Insiders
    I’m having problems moving Sea of Thieves from my 4TB external drive to my Internal. Need help: I downloaded Sea of Thieves onto my External hard drive, and now I want to play it. So when I go to move it into the Internal Drive it stops moving at 2.18GB and won’t start again. How do I fix...
  5. Think it’s a joke how my Xbox malfunctioned and I’m order to get it sorted I have to PAY AGAIN

in XBoX on Consoles
    Think it’s a joke how my Xbox malfunctioned and I’m order to get it sorted I have to PAY AGAIN: I think that it’s a joke how I’ve spent so much buying a series x spent so much on the store and been loyal to Xbox for over 10 years for my series x to break and the ONLY support I have for it is...
  6. I’m having issues with ordering from Xbox design lab.

in XBoX on Windows
    I’m having issues with ordering from Xbox design lab.: I’ve been trying to order a custom controller from Xbox design lab. Everytime I try to check out, it asks me to sign in. When I sign in, it takes me back to the home page and gives me a notice...
  7. I have recently purchased an Acer monitor from a friend that is 1080p 165hz compatible, I’m...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I have recently purchased an Acer monitor from a friend that is 1080p 165hz compatible, I’m...: I have just recently purchased a Acer monitor from a friend. After searching the model and specs of the monitor I have confirmed that it is 1080p and 165hz compatible, upon trying to connect my...
  8. I’m having trouble trying to login for the consent for my little brother

in XBoX Accessibility
    I’m having trouble trying to login for the consent for my little brother: I try signing in and I get an error message something’s not working it’s not you, it’s us. TraceId: undefined c0938ee7-f5ba-4668-91d8-c916dc545bce
  9. Im having a connect to the Xbox network error. It’s say I’m all connected but I’m still...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Im having a connect to the Xbox network error. It’s say I’m all connected but I’m still...: Im having a connect to the Xbox network error. It’s say I’m all connected but I’m still offline and I can’t play anything because it say it’s not my home Xbox. Help me plz...
  10. I’m still having issues with my leaderboard score not updating. It’s been well over six...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I’m still having issues with my leaderboard score not updating. It’s been well over six...: Still having leadership score registering. this is obviously still an ongoing issue for many many people. It seems that all started after the last update. Response by Microsoft has been abysmal....