If I change my gamertag will the old one that I just switched from be unavailable for use...

Discus and support If I change my gamertag will the old one that I just switched from be unavailable for use... in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; For some backstory, back in 2015/2016 I got 2 "og" gamertags when Microsoft made them all available by resetting the old accounts not in use anymore.... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by TheRonDog, Feb 4, 2023.

1. TheRonDog
    TheRonDog Guest

If I change my gamertag will the old one that I just switched from be unavailable for use...

For some backstory, back in 2015/2016 I got 2 "og" gamertags when Microsoft made them all available by resetting the old accounts not in use anymore. Earlier today, I tried to swap the gamertags on the 2 accounts since I prefer the gamertag that I have on the 2nd account. On that account, I switched the gamertag, making the previous one it had available for use. Within 30 seconds I'm back on my main account and that previous gamertag I switched from is unavailable. It's also now associated with an account that doesn't have a gamerpicture or any gamerscore.

I've heard that Microsoft will sometimes reserve/hold a gamertag for a few hours when it becomes available. But why am I able to find an account associated with the gamertag? That makes me think someone possibly took the gamertag, but keep in mind that when I originally obtained it a few years back it had been available for a few weeks before I got it. It's a 4 letter gamertag with all letters but isn't a word so it isn't extremely desirable. Since it was available for weeks when I originally obtained it, I seriously doubt that someone would have a bot actively watching it to see when it becomes available. Does anyone know that when Microsoft holds/reserves gamertags like this, whether or not the gamertag will be on an account that you can search up like in this case? And for how long can the gamertag be held? A few hours? Days?

:)

TheRonDog, Feb 4, 2023
  2. Perrsun Win User

Xbox Live Gamertag.

There's hope for the future, though. When a Gamertag is changed, the old one doesn't immediately become available.

If I change my gamertag today from "" to "I Am " it won't let anybody else change their tag to "" for some time.

I remember a year or so ago Major Nelson announced that many of the previously unavailable Gamertags would become available again. It's possible that if the gamertag you want was previously in use, but isn't anymore, it could become available again in the
    future.
  3. Why Shepy Win User

Xbox Gamertag Transfer: Is it possible?

Creating a new account and changing the gamertag. However, when I tried to change my original account's gamertag to the new one, it was still unavailable. It seems that even if I use the gamertag on a different account, it remains locked.
  4. Tezzerrific Win User

If I change my gamertag will the old one that I just switched from be unavailable for use for a period of time? Is there a holding period and does Microsoft hold the gamertag on a public account?

nope, i have switched tags from one profile to another many times (like an idiot), as soon as you change the tag the old one becomes available.

your old one could be on a filter list to not allow the creation of it, even if you had it before the filter could make it so it cannot be used again.
  5. Georges C. Win User

If I change my gamertag will the old one that I just switched from be unavailable for use for a period of time? Is there a holding period and does Microsoft hold the gamertag on a public account?

Hello, first it's a pleasure to be able to help you today.

My name is welcome to the community.

Hello TheRonDog, Microsoft has never been very clear on this issue, but when changing a Gamertag it may be suspended to be used later or if immediately released, you will not be able to get your Gamertag back if you change it for a new one.
  6. PeteAshby Win User

Gamertag help

If you were forced to change the gamertag, it would have been forced by the Product Enforcement Team. If the gamertag was reported as being offencive, and the PET decided that it was, then the gamertag is forced to change. Chances of getting the old gamertag
    back is slim to none, as once a gamertag is used, it remains unavailable for something like 5 or 7 years. Plus, there is a good chance that, even if you were able to change it back, that the PET would simply force you to change it again. And beyond that, the
    more you are forced to change your gamertag for ToU violations, the more chance you have of getting suspended. I would just chalk the old gamertag up as gone, and go from there.

Hope this helps!
Thema:

1. If I change my gamertag will the old one that I just switched from be unavailable for use... - Similar Threads - change gamertag old

2. I have an old, old Live account. Like 2002 old. I had to change the gamertag (same account)...

in XBoX Accessibility
    I have an old, old Live account. Like 2002 old. I had to change the gamertag (same account)...: I have an old, old Live account. Like 2002 old. I had to change the gamertag (same account) for reasons I cannot remember, but I would like to change back to the original name. But, when I try,...
  3. I changed my gamertag and it still shows up as my old one

in XBoX on Consoles
    I changed my gamertag and it still shows up as my old one: so i recently changed my gamertag and it still showsbup as my old one. does anyone know how to change ot to my new one without my old one being on top? 0f8c79a9-24c8-4591-bf68-3fe6509d9289
  4. I payed 10 dollars to change my gamertag and it changed but it still says my old gamertag...

in XBoX Accessibility
    I payed 10 dollars to change my gamertag and it changed but it still says my old gamertag...: I payed 10 dollars to change my gamertag and it changed but it still says my old gamertag and my new one under it. Anyone know why? 0a23cf37-917f-487e-891f-dc412c572639
  5. I changed my gamertag and the old one is still showing up inconsistently. Microsoft support...

in XBoX Accessibility
    I changed my gamertag and the old one is still showing up inconsistently. Microsoft support...: So years ago I got sick of my dumb pirate themed gamertag so I paid $9 to change it to a normal name because I have no imagination. I went to my Xbox profile on Xbox.com, clicked "customize", and...
  6. I changed my gamertag over 24 hours ago and my old one is still there while my new one is...

in XBoX Accessibility
    I changed my gamertag over 24 hours ago and my old one is still there while my new one is...: I bought the change twice and no real changes have been made and it's really starting to get frustrating because I refuse to spend just over 29 dollars on something won't actually change...
  7. My little sibling changed my gamertag without my permission. I want my old gamertag back...

in XBoX Accessibility
    My little sibling changed my gamertag without my permission. I want my old gamertag back...: My old gamertag meant a lot to me and my sibling changed it without my permission. My old gamertag was 15 characters long and I don't have any money. Is there any possible way to fix this? I want...
  8. I changed my old 360 gamertag and the games that I have saved I can't access to get on

in XBoX Accessibility
    I changed my old 360 gamertag and the games that I have saved I can't access to get on: I'm trying to have all my saved games that are saved onto the new account so I can continue playing 101201a2-98e0-4124-a2a7-d65698c4ade7
  9. I changed my gamertag, but on the app it still displays both the old and current gamertag....

in XBoX Accessibility
    I changed my gamertag, but on the app it still displays both the old and current gamertag....: My old gamertag shows but then below it is my new, changed one. I only want the current one to show. 32c59678-ab98-4076-87e4-66e041ea13ed
  10. My Gamertag didn't change after paying to change it (still shows my old one on top of my...

in XBoX Accessibility
    My Gamertag didn't change after paying to change it (still shows my old one on top of my...: So I just paid to have my gamer tag changed but instead I got what seems like two different gamer tags on top of each other with my old one being on top and the new below. I want to get rid of the...