I was copying a game on to my External SSD on the Xbox Series X and when it was doing that...

Discus and support I was copying a game on to my External SSD on the Xbox Series X and when it was doing that... in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; And what i want to know is how can i get the external ssd to show up 18be9d53-dfb3-4182-a5d6-9302f7b91c46 Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by EndlessGibbon80, Oct 31, 2022.

1. I was copying a game on to my External SSD on the Xbox Series X and when it was doing that...

And what i want to know is how can i get the external ssd to show up

:)

EndlessGibbon80, Oct 31, 2022
  2. Obsessive Power Win User

Choosing a hardrrive

Fair enough, a slow internet connection is as good excuse as any.

Be aware however that while that drive will work on Series X, you won't be able to play Series X games directly from it. Series X games will require faster access and read speeds. My understanding is that the Series X games can be 'backed up' on an external
    drive and then need to copied/moved over to either the internal SSD or the External SSD's that will be available for the machine.

The Series X will read and play Xbox One games from an external drive though.
  3. ROBIN H 25 Win User

Pre download Xbox Series X games

Not really...

Xbox Series X games / upgrades / updates has to be installed onto the Series X internal or expansion card SSD,

You can have Xbox One games on your external hard drive that will get an Series X upgrade but the games will need to be transferred to the Series X and then the Series X upgrade will need to be downloaded onto the Series X SSD,

As an example...

I have Marvel Avengers on my external hard drive that will get the Series X upgrade and I will transfer the game over to the Series X SSD ready to download and update the game to the Series X version when available.
  4. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox Series X/S keeps asking if I want to download game on internal drive, while I set download to the external

Thank you for the quick reply. Any plans on when it can be configurable ?
    I'm afraid it won't ever be 'configurable'. The real reason why your games can't be downloaded to the external drive is because you can't actually run Series X|S games from an external drive.

External hard drives are far too slow to run Series X|S games. They need to be run either from the internal drive - which is a fast NVME SSD - or the optional memory expansion cards for the Series X|S consoles. Not even SATA based external SSD's are considered fast enough for X|S games.

You can move Series X|S games for archive purposes to copy back to these faster storage locations to play, but you can't run Series X|S games from external storage.

Games that have not been optimised for Series X|S have no such limitations.

Not sure why the 'Independent Advisor' doesn't know this well known fact.
  5. atem7862 Win User

Why can't you play series x games on ext ssd?

So the external seagate ssd for xbox is usb3.0 with 500mbps read and write speed right? I have two of them and i see alot of people saying "its because the external ssds are too slow to play games on,you can only play series x or enhanced one x games on internal or the seagate expansion ssd card" but alot of external ssds are fast enough? No?
  6. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox series X|S alternative high speed storage expansion

Hi,

No, sorry it won't work. The USB ports on the Series X|S are USB 3.1 which have a maximum speed of 500MB/s. This means, no matter what drive you buy, no matter what speed it's rated at, you're stuck at the max speed of the USB port.

The only drives that can be used for Series X|S games are either the internal or the storage expansion card.

I have the Expansion card for my Series X. I also have an external 2TB USB SSD in an enclosure. I can only use the external SSD for Xbox One games. They do load a lot faster than a mechanical hard drive, but I can't play my Series X games off it.
Thema:

I was copying a game on to my External SSD on the Xbox Series X and when it was doing that...

1. I was copying a game on to my External SSD on the Xbox Series X and when it was doing that... - Similar Threads - was copying game

2. Xbox Game Bar no longer has "copy link" button. Why is that?

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox Game Bar no longer has "copy link" button. Why is that?: Hi, For the past month or so I have been having capturing clips using the Xbox Game Bar and I would usually send to the Xbox App by pressing copy link. This option isn't available anymore. I...
  3. I was hoping to purchase a digital copy of a game that’s on the Xbox store but says not...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I was hoping to purchase a digital copy of a game that’s on the Xbox store but says not...: Overlord 1 and 2 is on the Xbox store and I was hoping to buy it but it says it’s not currently available and I was hoping I could get my hands on it I use to play it when I was younger and was...
  4. How to copy game file to another PC? (GAMEPASS)

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How to copy game file to another PC? (GAMEPASS): Me and my brothers live in the same house and using different PC. We are trying to save bandwidth by only downloading on 1 PC, then copying the game file to another 2 PCs. Downloading 1 game...
  5. Why can't I copy a game to my external drive

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why can't I copy a game to my external drive: Why can't I copy a game to my external bf1c0fe2-a641-465f-b56f-5c20812f364a
  6. How to Copy Xbox App Game to Another PC Without Redownloading ?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How to Copy Xbox App Game to Another PC Without Redownloading ?: It's a tough thing to download games in Egypt due to the limited internet quota that the internet companies provide so I need a way to share the game files with my friends to be able to enjoy my...
  7. Physical copy of a digital game unable to work

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Physical copy of a digital game unable to work: Hi there, My question is about the physical version of a game not working as intended. But context so a few months ago I brought the digital versions of the batman arkham trilogy. Until I could...
  8. Mortal kombat 11 physical copy story mode not showing up in manage games and add on

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Mortal kombat 11 physical copy story mode not showing up in manage games and add on: Mortal kombat 11 story mode not showing up in manage games and add on 3ab55318-c4a0-4fb7-874e-538b6a4b91f8
  9. I downloaded a game on an Xbox One, then copied/transferred it to my Xbox XS, if i delete...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I downloaded a game on an Xbox One, then copied/transferred it to my Xbox XS, if i delete...: Sorry I am not familiar with Xbox or gaming, I just want to know if i delete this game from my Xbox XS, will it still be on my Xbox one? The game was originally bought on the Xbox one, i just...
  10. Xbox game bars option to copy link has disappeared, how to do I get it back?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox game bars option to copy link has disappeared, how to do I get it back?: To upload my clips from windows to my mobile xbox app it was simply just copy link and it would apear on my app in the captures option. Now the copy link option has disappeared and only and upload...