I suddenly get no video through HDMI connection - sound works and I can blindly navigate menus

Discus and support I suddenly get no video through HDMI connection - sound works and I can blindly navigate menus in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; My setup is as follows: Xbox One S - ca 18 months old Asus CG32UQ 32" 4K gamining monitor - ca 1 month old Connected through HDMI cable supplied... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Thomas Øhrbom, Aug 25, 2020.

1. I suddenly get no video through HDMI connection - sound works and I can blindly navigate menus

My setup is as follows:

• Xbox One S - ca 18 months old
    • Asus CG32UQ 32" 4K gamining monitor - ca 1 month old
    • Connected through HDMI cable supplied with the Xbox
    • Under video settings I have enabled 4K on the Xbox One S

For the first few weeks it worked well, no issues. Then two days ago I booted the Xbox and the screen was first plain green (the logo did not appear), then after a while the screen turned grey. Using the controller I heard I was moving through the menus,
    and the colour on the screen shifted between grades of light and dark grey. No shapes, shadows or anything, same colour covered the entire screen. Using the controller I can for instance hold Xbox-button and move left stick up and press A to shut down. So
    it works, but no video.

No changes had been made whatsoever between the day it all worked and the day it no longer worked.

I have performed the following troubleshooting:

• I have tried with a different (new) HDMI cable - same result
    • I have tried using a different HDMI input port on the monitor (with both HDMI cables) - same result
    • I have tried with a different Xbox console (an Xbox One X), that is normally connected to a different TV and works well there - same result
      • When I moved the second Xbox (the Xbox One X) back to the other TV it still worked
    • I have tried using both the HDMI cables on the second Xbox (the Xbox One X) connected to the other TV - the cables work fine
    • I have tried connecting the Xbox One S to the other TV - and it works there
    • While the Xbox One S was connected to the other TV I tried changing the video settings to 1080p, then moved the Xbox One S back to the Asus monitor - still same problem
    • I am using the Asus monitor also connected to a PC - and it works fine
    • I have checked that FreeSync is enabled on the Asus monitor - but have of course also tried turning that off - same result
    • I have tried factory reset of the Asus monitor - same result
    • I have tried hard reset of the Xbox One S - same result
      • I have done the power cycle (hold Power button for 10 seconds) - same result
      • I have done the restart holding the Sync + Power-button - same result
      • I have done the reset holding the Sync + Eject + Power-button - same result
    So for some reason my brand new monitor no longer wants to display any video from any Xbox using any HDMI cable.

I have tried searching online for similar issues but found none. Can anyone help?

:)

Thomas Øhrbom, Aug 25, 2020
    1 person likes this.
  2. Mister Quimby Win User

"unsupported video format" on 3 different HDTVs with 3 different HDMI cables.

Hey there Copy House!

Sorry to hear about the video connection issue. Just to clarify, are you able to connect to any TV through HDMI? If you have tried to connect to 3 TV's and have tried 3 different HDMI cables, It sounds like the issue may be with the HDMI port on the console.
    If this is the case, your console will need to be repaired. You can get your console repaired through our Online Service Center.

Another option would be If you have a Xbox 360 Component HD AV Cable you will be able to verify your consoles video settings without having to blindly navigate to the settings. This will allow us to determine if it is an issue with the video settings.

Please keep us updated and we will standing by to help.
  3. CynderWulf2100 Win User

Xbox 360 slim, no video through HDMI/ DVI to monitor

Yes. Sorry if it seems confusing.

I normally have it connected to my monitor through and HDMI to DVI cable, but for whatever reason, it stopped showing video. I can still get sound through my sound system, just no video on the monitor.
  4. elektrostatlc g Win User

HDMI

Hi I have the same issue and ive tried the suggestions in the sticky. And the stuff on the general support official page non forum whatever. And a bunch of other stuff where you blindly go through menus with no video or sound. And none of it works. Could
    you please tell me anything.
  5. BrawniestPanic2 Win User

Audio not working

Hello I have a similar problem. I had it connected directly to the Plasma via HDMI cable and worked just fine. Yesterday I had to disconnect in order to play a BluRay and when I hooked the XBOX360s back again via the HDMI the audio was gone. I can see the
    game but no sound. Connecting through the RCA cables works fine (audio and video) but with the HDMI I can no longer get audio. Anybody can help? Thanks
  6. SLOTHEDKATO Win User

HELP HDMI won't work on xbox 360 elite

thanks for the suggestion, but i already tried all this before posting. it seems to be a 'handshake' issue between my tv and xbox. i use the same hdmi cable to connect to a computer monitor, and it works fine. i literally unplugged my old xbox and plugged
    in the new one the exact same way and it didnt work, so i know all my settings/hdmi channels, sound system settings etc. are plugged in properly. i also blindly changed the video settings everywhichway and nothing worked
Thema:

I suddenly get no video through HDMI connection - sound works and I can blindly navigate menus

1. I suddenly get no video through HDMI connection - sound works and I can blindly navigate menus - Similar Threads - suddenly video through

2. Xbox all of a sudden stopped being able to connect to my internet

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox all of a sudden stopped being able to connect to my internet: I was watching a show on hulu, a day ago and all of sudden my Xbox disconnected from the internet. I thought nothing of it until it would now no longer connect. It will connect to my hotspot, but...
  3. Xbox Controller suddenly disconnects from PC...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Controller suddenly disconnects from PC...: I have 2 Xbox Series controllers, which i use witch my PC. At first i played via bluetooth and didn't notice any problems. Then i started using cable because i was tired of buying new batteries))...
  4. Sudden Controller lag/excessive acceleration

in XBoX on Consoles
    Sudden Controller lag/excessive acceleration: I have had the series x for awhile and recently had sudden issues with input lag from my controller where I can't aim properly and the acceleration speed seems way high so I checked my controller...
  5. Some of my Xbox Series X|S controller buttons stopped working correctly all of a sudden?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Some of my Xbox Series X|S controller buttons stopped working correctly all of a sudden?: I don't have xbox console, only the controller. I use it to play games on my laptop (windows 10). I left the controller untouched quite some time (2 or 3 months without playing). when i came back...
  6. xbox logo suddenly coming out while i am playing

in XBoX on Consoles
    xbox logo suddenly coming out while i am playing: so i was playing on my xbox series s and suddenly the xbox logo appered infront of me it happend twice and i found out that it was my controller charging cable was causing the issue of electricity...
  7. Hi, Today I was recording a meeting using game recording but suddenly my laptop took...

in XBoX on Windows
    Hi, Today I was recording a meeting using game recording but suddenly my laptop took...: Hi, Today I was recording a meeting using game recording but suddenly my laptop took restart and i lost that recording how can i restore that ? 35300058-82da-4e73-a0b1-15ba50a6d7b6
  8. my laptop suddenly slow

in XBoX on Consoles
    my laptop suddenly slow: my laptop suddenly slow .. .. c6146d6b-da28-49fb-9a3d-96fd8c42d963
  9. Dolby Atmos suddenly stopped working on Xbox Series X

in XBoX on Windows
    Dolby Atmos suddenly stopped working on Xbox Series X: So as the title mentioned, dolby atmos suddenly stopped working on my xbox series x. Going into the settings, it still shows 'green tick' on dolby atmos supported tv. I have tested dolby atmos...
  10. sudden xbox one x issue with video and UHD being on , Flickering, no picture, works with...

in XBoX on Consoles
    sudden xbox one x issue with video and UHD being on , Flickering, no picture, works with...: Just started: Tried about everything I think. XBOX one X original, released Nov 7, 2017 Purchased it and LOVE IT. I was a PS3 upgrade. Might be going back to PS5 if I can find one those sooner,...