I have to "buy to own" Fallout 76 when the game disc is inserted. I am able to play the...

Discus and support I have to "buy to own" Fallout 76 when the game disc is inserted. I am able to play the... in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I recently noticed that I both own and don't own Fallout 76. I have the disc inserted, the game launches, I am able to play, but apparently I don't own... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by its6, Sep 30, 2022.

1. its6
    its6 Guest

I have to "buy to own" Fallout 76 when the game disc is inserted. I am able to play the...

I recently noticed that I both own and don't own Fallout 76. I have the disc inserted, the game launches, I am able to play, but apparently I don't own the game? When I go to the Microsoft store, I get the message "buy to own" even though my console recognizes the disc and what's on it. I don't have gamepass and I wanted to know if this is a bug or something.

:)

2. Smwutches Win User

I have to "buy to own" Fallout 76 when the game disc is inserted. I am able to play the game but I cannot write reviews or anything related to that.

It's because you own it on disc and not digitally from the Xbox store.
  3. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox Game Discs

I own a xbox one x, so you mean if I download the digital version of the games the savepoints will be overwritten? So that I have to play the games from the beginning.
    No.

If you have the game installed already from the disc, there will be no 'download' to speak of, your disc installed game will become a digital game. For the most part (I'll get top that in a mo), Xbox One games on disc are the same as their digital counterparts.
    Your save games are not effected and will work just as before.

When I said 'for the most part' I'm referring to games that have been changed so much that the disc isn't used to install the game anymore, it's only used for proof of owner ship. For example Halo MCC was bigger than what was available to store on Blu-ray
    disc, so part of the game was a download. Now, Halo MCC has changed so much that the disc doesn't install anything, the entire game is a download.

The same is true for Fallout 76. When it first came out most of the game data could be installed from disc along with a game patch. Buy Fallout 76 now and insert the disc and you'll be prompted for a 50GB+ Xbox Live download, practically nothing on the disc
    will be installed.

These two examples don't change anything about the licenses, buying a game on disc on Xbox One is just a install medium, nothing more.
  4. Default_941 Win User

Xbox gamepass not allowing me to play my hard copys

I cancled my gamepass subscription, now i cannot play the games i own, any game that was on gamepass (IE: Minecraft, skyrim, halo MCC, fallout 76) will no longer work on my xbox EVEN if i have the physical disc inside the xbox, i have 100% confirmed the disc work and i have confirmed my disc drive 100% works, everytime i click on it, it tells me i dont own the game and i to need to buy it... i just want to play the video games i paid for
  5. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox game pass + fallout 76

ALREADY HAVE THE DISC FOR meaning I have to pay monthly to play i game I already bought if this is an issue I would like to know thx now imma go buy it again on steam thx Xbox:)
    Unlike the previous Fallout 4 game, Fallout 76 is an online only game. Therefore, regardless of whether you own the game on disc or digitally, you will still need an Xbox Live subscription to play. The can either be an Xbox Gold sub or Xbox Game Pass Ultimate.
  6. steeledwand7664 Win User

Help

Just so that I am understanding correctly.

You have 2 friends that own a game one has a disc and the other is Game Sharing with the one that has the disc?

If this is the case.

1. Neither one of them own the game digitally so in order for either of them to be able to play the game they would have to have the game disc in the console and keep it in the console in order to play the game.

2. It sounds like you own the game digitally that is why you are able to play it unless you have the disc inserted into the console.
Thema:

1. I have to "buy to own" Fallout 76 when the game disc is inserted. I am able to play the... - Similar Threads - buy own Fallout

2. Why can't I play forza horizon 5 without buying game Pass when I owned it before it was...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why can't I play forza horizon 5 without buying game Pass when I owned it before it was...: Ever since I redownloaded it I have been unable to play online and wants me to buy game pass when I try to go online. How do I solve this without spending money? 9bac4131-b861-4132-9bd3-d1e363dc76a6
  3. Minecraft Launcher asking me to buy Minecraft Bedrock even though I already own it.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Minecraft Launcher asking me to buy Minecraft Bedrock even though I already own it.: I have the official Minecraft launcher on my windows 10 PC. I am logged into my microsoft account. However it says: "Buy Now" when trying to open the Bedrock Edition of minecraft. I can verify...
  4. Why is Xbox telling me to buy a game I own through games for gold

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why is Xbox telling me to buy a game I own through games for gold: I own dungeon siege 3 from gfg Nov 2015 decided to go back to it and clear it. However it said there was an error and I uninstalled it. Now I can't install unless I purchase it...
  5. I cant buy pc game pass, When ever iIty to buy pc game pass it just says I already own it...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I cant buy pc game pass, When ever iIty to buy pc game pass it just says I already own it...: I cant buy xbox pc game pass, probably becuase I previuosly had subscription "xbox game pass friends & family" untill March 2023. When ever i try to buy pc game pass it just says I already owned...
  6. Do I need to buy xbox game pass core or ultimate to play multiplayer games even if I own...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Do I need to buy xbox game pass core or ultimate to play multiplayer games even if I own...: I have a question if I own a multiplayer game do I still need to buy game pass ultimate or core e2cbdd2b-8593-4824-8f7d-2c0da1d599d2
  7. The minecraft launcher says i have to buy the game even though i already own it.

in XBoX Accessibility
    The minecraft launcher says i have to buy the game even though i already own it.: A week or so ago i switched over to a new pc. Upon downloading the minecraft launcher on this new pc and signing in to my microsoft account it states that i do not own minecraft and have to...
  8. Microsoft store says I need to buy game when I was already owned and playing for months

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Microsoft store says I need to buy game when I was already owned and playing for months: I bought cyberpunk 2077 with phantom liberty dlc was playing for like 2 months then the dlc gets released. Now it says I need to buy cyberpunk 2077 to play game. But I already owned it and was...
  9. Minecraft: Java Edition says I need to "Buy" it again despite me owning it, how do I fix this?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Minecraft: Java Edition says I need to "Buy" it again despite me owning it, how do I fix this?: I have bought Minecraft: Java a while back and have been playing it as recently as two days ago, however yesterday I came across an issue when I open the launcher saying I need to "Buy Game"...
  10. Can I buy the MWIII vault edition upgrade if I don’t own the game on my account?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can I buy the MWIII vault edition upgrade if I don’t own the game on my account?: So I game share with my cousin and he pre-ordered the MWIII cross-gen bundle. I want to buy the vault edition upgrade that costs $30 but I don’t know if I’ll be able to purchase it because I don’t...