I do not see the "format" option on my external storage, for my xbox Series X

Discus and support I do not see the "format" option on my external storage, for my xbox Series X in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hello! I've purchased a new external storage device (it is not a Seagate) for my Xbox Series X. Despite being able to identify it for media... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Alkis Brokolo, Mar 19, 2023.

1. I do not see the "format" option on my external storage, for my xbox Series X

Hello!

I've purchased a new external storage device (it is not a Seagate) for my Xbox Series X.

Despite being able to identify it for media purposes, I can not format it for storing games & apps.

I've tried reformating the external storage device to both NTFS and ExFAT, as the online guides/ geek gurus' suggested on different tech-related forums.

(In addition, I did all the routine with the power-cycle-thing etc.)

I am working for 6 hours straight to fix this issue and still can't find a proper solution.

Hint: When i try to set the external storage device to "set as capture location", a pop-up error message shows off writing:

Try a different device

To capture game clips and screenshots externally, storage must be USB 3.0 or faster. This is device is too slow. (0x80bd003b).

Consider: My USB is 3.1.

What should I do? is there any chance the cable of the external storage device was not "Fast enough"?

I am looking forward to a reply and a possible solution.

Yours,
    Alkis

:)

Alkis Brokolo, Mar 19, 2023
  2. Rostom L Win User

Hi Alkis!

Sorry to hear about the issue. I appreciate your efforts in trying to sort it out from your end.

Based on the error message you received, your external storage device didn't meet the required speed to be properly used on Xbox. It's possible that it's a cable issue or your external drive isn't really what it was rated for. I suggest that you try it on a different console or try a different cable to further isolate the issue. Alternatively, you may reach out to the manufacturer support of the product for possible replacement or solutions for their storage device.
  3. iTsFx Win User

How do I fix error 0x80830003

Hello, I'm Felipe and I'm an independent Community Expert, and I'll do my best to help you.

Error 0x80830003 is a common error code on the Xbox Series X that can occur when saving data to an external storage device. Here are a few steps you can try to resolve this issue:

Restart the console: Sometimes, simply restarting the console can resolve the issue.

Remove and re-insert the external storage device: This can help refresh the connection between the console and the external hard drive.

Format the external storage device: If the external hard drive is not formatted properly, it can cause the error 0x80830003. To format the external hard drive, go to the Xbox settings, then select "System," followed by "Storage." Locate the external hard drive and select "Format Storage Device."

Update your Xbox console: Make sure your Xbox Series X is up-to-date with the latest software update.

Check for any software or firmware updates for the external storage device: Contact the manufacturer of the external storage device to see if there are any updates available.

If these steps do not resolve the error 0x80830003, you may want to consider contacting Xbox support for further assistance.
  4. John P_14 Win User

Is it safe using an old Xbox one internal hard drive as an external storage for my new Xbox series x?

Hi and thanks for reaching out. I hope you’re doing well. I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you and I'll be happy to help you.

It is safe to use a reformatted hard drive as an external storage option for your Xbox Series X. However, there are a few things to keep in mind:

1. Make sure that the hard drive is compatible with your Xbox Series X. The hard drive should be USB 3.0 and have a capacity of at least 256GB.

2. If the hard drive was previously used in another device (such as an Xbox One S), make sure that you have properly formatted it before using it as external storage for your Xbox Series X.

3. As with any external storage device, there is always a risk of data loss or corruption if the hard drive is not used properly. To minimize this risk, make sure to handle the hard drive gently and keep it away from extreme temperatures, moisture, and physical damage.

Overall, as long as you follow these guidelines, you should be able to use your old hard drive as external storage for your Xbox Series X without any problems.
  5. Rishabh0067 Win User

i recently bought an external storage expansion for my xbox series s but it keeps crashing.

Hi
    My name is Rishabh an Independent Adviser, I hope you are doing great out there.

Experiencing crashes after connecting an external storage expansion to your Xbox Series S can be frustrating. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue:

1. Compatibility Check:
    Make sure the external storage expansion you purchased is compatible with the Xbox Series S. The storage should meet the Xbox's requirements for USB 3.0 or later and the minimum storage capacity.

2. Reconnect and Power Cycle:
    Try disconnecting the external storage expansion, turning off your Xbox Series S, then reconnecting the storage, and turning on the console again. This simple step might help establish a stable connection.

3. Update Firmware:
    Check if the external storage expansion has any available firmware updates. Manufacturers sometimes release updates to improve stability and compatibility.

4. Test on Another USB Port:
    If you have multiple USB ports on your Xbox Series S, try connecting the external storage to a different port. This can help determine if the issue is related to a specific port.

5. Check for Drive Errors:
    Connect the external storage to a computer and run a disk check to identify and fix any potential errors on the drive.

6. Format the Drive:
    If possible, format the external storage using the Xbox Series S itself. Make sure to back up any important data before formatting.

7. Test Without External Storage:
    Disconnect the external storage and see if your Xbox Series S functions normally without it. This can help determine if the storage is causing the crashes.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks and regards
    Rishabh Sohal
  6. GaryHicks42 Win User

Xbox One X Media Player and Film & TV

Thanks for your reply.

From what I am seeing the issue is almost certainly that the Xbox One series have issues with external drives that are >2Tb.

I have reached this conclusion because I identified a few duplicate files on the drive, connected the drive to my Windows 10 laptop and removed the duplicates. When the drive was once again connected to the Xbox One X, a few of the files that were previously
    inaccessible/unplayable, have now become accessible/playable.

It was my understanding that the Xbox One series were able to address up to 16Tb of combined external storage space. This does not appear to be the case when the drive is formatted as NTFS. With the NTFS format it appears that the maximum drive space is
    2Tb; I have an identical make and model HDD (although 8Tb in size) that is formatted for Games Storage and the Xbox One X has no problems with this drive.

Ergo, the issue must (logically) be that the Xbox One series of consoles have an issue with addressing more than 2Tb of storage space that is not formatted to the propitiatory Xbox games storage format.

It is not an issue with the file formats themselves, this is a blind alley. The issue is with the amount of external HDD space that the Xbox One series of consoles may address. It would seem reasonable to assume that the error codes (0xc00d11cd (0x80070001))
    refer to the NTFS partition being to big for the Xbox OS to effectively address, but as there is no data from Microsoft to support this, it remains a guess.

What I would like now is a definitive response regarding the actual meaning of the 0xc00d11cd (0x80070001) error codes, not a guess as to what it seems likely to mean.

Cheers.
Thema:

1. I do not see the "format" option on my external storage, for my xbox Series X - Similar Threads - format option external

2. Can't Install Game Pass Games to Specific Drive. Error: "This drive isn't formatted as...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't Install Game Pass Games to Specific Drive. Error: "This drive isn't formatted as...: I am paying for Game Pass, but can't install large games because the 18TB Seagate Exos x18 7200RPM HDD is for some reason disliked by Microsoft, Xbox, or Game Pass. I purchased such a huge drive...
  3. New drive format options PLEASE

in XBoX on Consoles
    New drive format options PLEASE: So, a few minutes ago I went to change my install location for my games but here is one issue, mc c drive is full so, I went to change my drive location and, then it said that it needed to be NTFS...
  4. No format option for external hard drive.

in XBoX on Consoles
    No format option for external hard drive.: Hi, when i plug in a external hard drive in my Xbox One the format option does not come up. It's a new drive, usb 3.0 and 3 tb and it is recognized as a media drive. No format option in manage...
  5. Seagate Game Drive 4 tb only recognized as media device, no option to format it for games

in XBoX on Consoles
    Seagate Game Drive 4 tb only recognized as media device, no option to format it for games: Hi, i bought a new Seagate Game Drive 4 tb but i can't format it for game storage on the Xbox One because it doesn't give me the option to do it, it sees it as a media only device. All help is...
  6. Xbox one External Hard Drive no format option

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one External Hard Drive no format option: So I got a new Xbox One a while ago and I have ran out of space recently. I had a spare external hard drive laying around so I formatted it and plugged it in. I had the option to format it in the...
  7. No option to format external storage

in XBoX on Consoles
    No option to format external storage: I'm trying to use a Seagate 2TB Game Drive (it's even sold as for use with Xbox One/360). The console recognizes the drive as media storage, but provides no option to format it for games/apps use....
  8. Seagate 2TB External Hard drive not giving a format option on Xbox One

in XBoX on Consoles
    Seagate 2TB External Hard drive not giving a format option on Xbox One: I recently bought a Seagate 2TB hard drive and plugged it into the xbox one. It tells me that it recognizes it as far a media device and prompted me to download the media viewer, but never pops up...
  9. External HD detected as "Media" with no format option.

in XBoX on Consoles
    External HD detected as "Media" with no format option.: I got a Toshiba 5 TB HD USB 3.0, with its own power source, so supposedly meets the requirements as an external HD for Xbox One. Well, when I plug it in, the Xbox detects it, but it reads as a...
  10. Format option not present in memory options

in XBoX on Consoles
    Format option not present in memory options: Does anyone know why am I not being given the format option in the memory section of console settings? e6857314-161c-483e-a50b-ad8f0840cdea