I can't update any game without having to download the whole game again

Discus and support I can't update any game without having to download the whole game again in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; As mentioned in the title I can't update any game without having to download the whole game again, I can't simply download and update the game like a... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by SirSarDon, Dec 17, 2021.

1. SirSarDon
    SirSarDon Guest

As mentioned in the title I can't update any game without having to download the whole game again, I can't simply download and update the game like a normal launcher will do, clicking "cancel installation" remove the whole game.

Just this week had to download "update"

Forza horizon 5 - 102 GB

Halo Infinite 62 GB with the campaign

Destiny 2 - 87 GB 2 times in 2 weeks for each update

I can't update any game without having to download the whole game again [​IMG]

I can't update any game without having to download the whole game again [​IMG]

Things I tried:

Restart the PC.

Check for updates. (everything is up to date)

Clear cache for Microsoft store.

Repair Microsoft store, Xbox app, and the game.

Reset both the store and Xbox app.

Running Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1415)

Microsoft Store version 22112.1401.2.0

Xbox app version 2112.1001.10.0

Why does a company like Microsoft have to make an application that is so convoluted and performs so poorly that every aspect has to be troubleshot every week? why make things so complex so no easy fix can be applied and have to go through the whole internet to find a solution for unnecessary created problems, can't access files, encrypted files, cant mod games, cant update games, and the list do on...

The Game Pass service crippled by the Microsoft Store and the Xbox app on PC for no good reason.

:)

SirSarDon, Dec 17, 2021
  2. SirSarDon Win User

[​IMG]

Unfortunately didn't solve the problem as it still requesting to do download destiny 2 86.6 GB "UPDATE"
  3. Georges C. Win User

Hello, first it's a pleasure to be able to help you today.

My name is welcome to the community.

Hello SirSarDon, have you checked if you have the latest version of Windows installed, at 21H2, because recently came out the latest update to Windows 10.

See which version of Windows 10 you have

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/see...

If you haven't updated yet, click the link below, update and then make all subsequent security updates.

https://bt4p.com/how-to-update-to-windows-10-21...

NOTE: This is a third party link that is not Microsoft's property, so you might encounter advertising on the website.

Also make sure all Xbox Apps are up to date in the store.

Microsoft has released some updates that need to be made, whether for those who use Windows 10 or 11.
  4. Gonzalo Ponce2 Win User

Xbox App for PC redownloads full game after i try to download an update.

Hello Dérek, thanks for your time.

I dont know if it happens with other games on xbox App because i only have trópico and rainbow six installed right now both of them In disc D:.

Only trópico needed an update so i downloaded the update and then it redownloaded the whole game as i said.

If you talk about updates of games from other platforms they download without any problem.

Also i downloaded and installed trópico with a clean install again in disc D: earlier and when the download finished, it said it needed an update an started the whole download over again.
  5. Vince_AUK Win User

Ridiculous installation and download sizes

Thanks for your reply.

I understand that installation is going to be large but having to download a 65GB update is just ridiculous. That is over 20GB larger than the installation itself. There is got to be something wrong there. I think I saw someone mention that the update is the whole game, which would make sense, but WHY!!!! would you have to download the whole game again. Surely if the Xbox 360 could download small updates, why does this new bit of kit have to download the complete game. Not only that, just under 780GB of internal space on the console isnt going to leave alot to play games, without having to deinstall others. And if you want to play that unistalled game again, you then have to go through the same rig-moral. As good as the graphics might be on the Xbox One, I don't think my time with the XB1 will last. But thanks again for your input.
  6. Malacath Win User

Installing Games

It installs the whole disc only if there are no updates.

If there are updates then it will pull the updated files off the internet as the game is installed.

Dead rising 3 for instance downloads 12GB while installing even though the game is only about 20GB on disc.

So the only time the whole disc is installed without downloading anything is if there are no updates available.

You can avoid this by disconnecting your console from the internet before installing a disc. This will let the whole disc install without downloading anything. Problem is that next time you connect it will insist on downloading the update anyway.
Thema:

1. I can't update any game without having to download the whole game again - Similar Threads - can't update game

2. after the last update it removed my favorite game from the homescreen and I can't get it...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    after the last update it removed my favorite game from the homescreen and I can't get it...: After the last update (yesterday) it removed my favorite game from the homescreen and I can't get it added back. what can I do? ca422c93-026e-4f22-8bf2-8907cacab7ae
  3. i can't download/update/install games on my xbox series s

in XBoX Games and Apps
    i can't download/update/install games on my xbox series s: So last night i decided to play some cod cold war and copied the game from an eternal drive i had it on to my internal xbox drive. its 150 gig worth so not a small game. after it was done copying...
  4. I can't install game on Gamepass Ultimate on the PC or update games.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I can't install game on Gamepass Ultimate on the PC or update games.: I can stream them. What is wrong I havetried all advised steps. ee90efac-d459-4a48-8f38-3bf67b0cf026
  5. Joined windows gaming preview, can't use updated xbox accessories

in XboX Insiders
    Joined windows gaming preview, can't use updated xbox accessories: I recently bought an Xbox elite controller and wanted to use the paddles as keyboard keys for forza horizon 5, however that's only an option for inside members, luckily I've been one for the past...
  6. The 'Gaming Services' app is broken and can't be updated through Microsoft store meaning...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    The 'Gaming Services' app is broken and can't be updated through Microsoft store meaning...: I have tried all of the options on the Xbox support page but the Gaming Service app just can't be downloaded. It reaches 90% completion and then just fails every time....
  7. Have complaint, can't we have a offline game update to download on USB flash drive?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Have complaint, can't we have a offline game update to download on USB flash drive?: As title says it, I'm curious why we hadn't gotten this particular issue explained. It would be big help and boon for specific games to be updated for those who don't have Internet because they...
  8. i can't play the games that i owned offline anymore after this update

in XboX Insiders
    i can't play the games that i owned offline anymore after this update: i was playing witcher 3 that i played offline just before updating my console but after update every offline game that i used to play(skyrim for example )unplayable without internet connection...
  9. I updated my controller but I still can't access the chat mixer so I can hear the game...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I updated my controller but I still can't access the chat mixer so I can hear the game...: I updated the controller but I still can't access the chat mixer, and I can't hear the game audio through the headset. What can I do? d9324c3d-587d-4c2f-b3ec-a0a336097b0a
  10. Xbox App, game download stuck on "Checking for updates", and can't start any other games

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox App, game download stuck on "Checking for updates", and can't start any other games: As the title says. I wanted to install Pillars of Eternity, and the download stopped at 136mb in and the app simply said "Checking for updates". I've tried running Powershell as an administrator...