I can not install games on an external drive using the Xbox app / Xbox Windows Gaming...

Discus and support I can not install games on an external drive using the Xbox app / Xbox Windows Gaming... in XboX Insiders to solve the problem; Windows 11 - 22000.348 Xbox app - 2112.1001.9.0 - PC Insider Program - External Preview - Windows Gaming Flight. I tried using the default Xbox... Discussion in 'XboX Insiders' started by /u/tunepas, Dec 10, 2021.

1. /u/tunepas
    /u/tunepas Guest

I can not install games on an external drive using the Xbox app / Xbox Windows Gaming...

Windows 11 - 22000.348

Xbox app - 2112.1001.9.0 - PC Insider Program - External Preview - Windows Gaming Flight.

I tried using the default Xbox app, uninstalled the app, reinstalled the app, joined the xbox app preview, but still can't install games to my external drive.

I've seen feedback for this same issue under the Feedback hub, now wondering if anyone has ever figured this out.

I've reformatted my external drive twice, I've tried both NTFS & exFat, the drive is seen in Windows Explorer.

Under the Xbox App -> Settings -> General, I'm able to change the default installation location to my external hard drive. After intending to install a game the default location is changed back to the C:/ drive with no option to select another drive.

Under Xbox App -> Settings -> General, I can select "Use advanced installation and management features", now when I select a location to install the game, the option is to "choose a folder for your games on (CI can not install games on an external drive using the Xbox app / Xbox Windows Gaming... :)". From here I select my external drive, but the install button is greyed out.

Has anyone figured out how to install games on their external drives?

Thanks!

submitted by /u/tunepas
    [link] [comments]

/u/tunepas, Dec 10, 2021
  2. VecaisVaskis Win User

Installing games with "Administrator approval required for installation" - error 0x8007001F

... I suspect the "problem" might be that my Windows 10 system resides on an external hard disk which somehow messes up the installation process for "Administrator approval required for installation" games.
    I have similar issues with apps and external storage.

It seems that for whatever reason, external drives aren't "trusted" as much as an internal system drive.

How is the external drive connected? Via USB, or is it an external SATA connector? You might coax the system into believing it's an internal drive, if you use an external SATA connector.

If you actually managed to install Windows on an USB drive (and it's not an official Windows To Go install), that might really be the problem.

The setup is an iMac 2019 with external Thunderbolt 3 SSD drive with Windows 10 Pro installed on it specifically for gaming needs. The problem with Xbox Games Pass for PC is the first (serious, mysterious) problem I have with this setup. Steam, Epic, GoG
    - every other online gaming store works as it should and I can play pretty much any game I want, except for the ones available on the Games Pass for PC. I find it somewhat ironic.
  3. Kimmy_24 Win User

0x80070002 Error

Have you checked if you can install your games using C drive? set up your installation drive, press the Windows Key + I to open Settings. Click System > Storage. On Windows 10, underneath the More storage settings heading, click Change where new content is saved.

To change the default drive for new apps, use the New apps will save to dropdown. On the Xbox app, click the profile menu in the top-right and select the Settings options. Click on General. Under the “Game install options” section, select the drive to install games by default.

If you're trying to use an external or different drive, make sure it's set to NTFS.
  4. GreenJeans1 Win User

Xbox One Installation Stopped External Hard Drive

None of the above solve the issue. Games currently Installed on the external drive work. Unless they need an update. They can not be updated. New games can not be installed to external drives in the xpack enclosure. Apps seem install with no issue. Games
    can not be migrated to or from the external drive as well. Apps migrate with no issue. The issue seems to be related to the xpack external enclosure. It seems to have stopped working after the Feb update. Prior to this games installed updated and transfered
    with no issues using the xpack enclosure.
  5. ArminatorX Win User

Installing games with "Administrator approval required for installation" - error 0x8007001F

... I suspect the "problem" might be that my Windows 10 system resides on an external hard disk which somehow messes up the installation process for "Administrator approval required for installation" games.
    I have similar issues with apps and external storage.

It seems that for whatever reason, external drives aren't "trusted" as much as an internal system drive.

How is the external drive connected? Via USB, or is it an external SATA connector? You might coax the system into believing it's an internal drive, if you use an external SATA connector.

If you actually managed to install Windows on an USB drive (and it's not an official Windows To Go install), that might really be the problem.
  6. XBF - Dom Win User

Gioco installato su HD esterno tramite PC fisso non viene riconosciuto dal Notebook [Game installed on external HD via fixed PC is not recognized by the Notebook]

Hello Robwing85,

Thank you for reaching out to us about your issue!

Have you tried changing the install location to the external drive in the Xbox App on the notebook?

• Launch the Xbox App on your notebook
    • Click your profile icon
    • Click “Settings”
    • Select “General”
    • Under “Game install options” you should see “Change where this app installs games by default”
    • Select the external drive from drop down menu
    • Close out the app entirely and then relaunch it
    This may cause the Xbox app to recognize that there are games installed on the external drive.

[Let us know if this answered your question by tapping "Yes" below]
Thema:

1. I can not install games on an external drive using the Xbox app / Xbox Windows Gaming... - Similar Threads - install games external

2. Can't Install Game Pass Games to Specific Drive. Error: "This drive isn't formatted as...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't Install Game Pass Games to Specific Drive. Error: "This drive isn't formatted as...: I am paying for Game Pass, but can't install large games because the 18TB Seagate Exos x18 7200RPM HDD is for some reason disliked by Microsoft, Xbox, or Game Pass. I purchased such a huge drive...
  3. i cant install apps but i can install games and games updates

in XboX Insiders
    i cant install apps but i can install games and games updates: i tried almost everything, heres the list of all i tried three factory resets change dns use phone hotspot offline factory reset with pendrive use another acc to install restart my router...
  4. Game data deleted on internal storage after installing an external harddrive.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Game data deleted on internal storage after installing an external harddrive.: Game data deleted on internal storage of my Xbox X for only one game (Dead Space) after installing a external harddrive. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, still nothing. HELP!...
  5. Xbox game pass cannot install game on external SSD

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox game pass cannot install game on external SSD: The problem started around 1/2 months. I was not able to download games on my external SSD. When I click on my external SSD when choosing drive to install, the window just disappear, and there...
  6. Why won't games install to my external SSD Drive?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why won't games install to my external SSD Drive?: I already changed the "new app will be saved to:" to the correct drive. I logged out of Microsoft store, restarted my computer, logged back in. I tried a bunch of times and the games are only...
  7. Game Pass PC Games won't install to external D Drive

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Game Pass PC Games won't install to external D Drive: I've changed install location in settings, works fine with FIFA. Halo MCC.. wont get off 1%? 97403a3b-03dc-4271-ba9d-9859aaecc72e
  8. Won’t let me play games installed on external hard drive

in XBoX on Windows
    Won’t let me play games installed on external hard drive: Y do they make Xbox series s so low in storage that u have to pay an extra at minimum £80 for 2tb storage and then u can’t play the games download on the external storage I bought it to be able to...
  9. Why do optimized games install on external storage if they can’t run there?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why do optimized games install on external storage if they can’t run there?: I just installed a game, and it didn’t ask me where to install. I’ve got plenty of room on my Xbox but for some reason it installed the optimized for Xbox game on the external hard drive even tho...
  10. How do I install Xbox game pass games on my external hard drive?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How do I install Xbox game pass games on my external hard drive?: I have downloaded the Xbox App recently. And I have activated my xbox game pass. I tried to download some games to my external hard drive. I already converted it to NTFS a couple months ago but...