How to tell in my internal HDD is going bad?

Discus and support How to tell in my internal HDD is going bad? in XboX Insiders to solve the problem; I've noticed a lot of lag and dashboard not loading up the pass few weeks. I had to do a hard reset Everytime I wanted to play my Xbox 1x (which also... Discussion in 'XboX Insiders' started by /u/oraine16, Jul 19, 2019.

1. /u/oraine16
    /u/oraine16 Guest

I've noticed a lot of lag and dashboard not loading up the pass few weeks. I had to do a hard reset Everytime I wanted to play my Xbox 1x (which also would also freeze up at 4k screen before Xbox loading screen).

I got the green screen loop and did a factory reset which worked and I was able to play for a few days but now I started up my xbox (that's no longer on instant-on since the reset) but got the same loading lag, there's an update that's visibly slower while downloading and verifying the files.

So is it just the preview updates (alpha ring) or is it hardware related?

submitted by /u/oraine16
    [link] [comments]

/u/oraine16, Jul 19, 2019
  2. justanick Win User

Wishing for a new Xbox One model that i can change the hdd on myself.

The cat was a bad argument. Granted. I would much rather have a large internal hdd, was what I meant. I dont know how to explain how it would be better with an internal hdd. It would render an external drive "unnescessary".
  3. maxen Win User

Is my HDD going bad?

It depends on the model. Some consoles are sold as a 4GB model, which is basically only some internal flash memory and does not count as a hard drive, whereas if the model you have is a 250GB (or anything other than 4GB; 120GB, 320GB or 500GB could also
    be the case) then it's one with an additional, removable hard drive. If you're not sure, by following the steps I linked above you'll find out (there either is or won't be a hard drive where the guide says there is one).
  4. Obsessive Power Win User

Is my HDD going bad?

I don't think the OP's console actually has a 'hard drive'. As the fast sentence states
    "We have a 360 Slim with a memory stick."

I'm pretty certain this this is an Xbox 360 4GB Slim, in which case it won't have 'hard drive' to remove. The 'Memory unit' is non user replaceable. Basically, looking at all the evidence, the console has some kind of of general hardware failure. The
    4GB Memory Unit in the 4GB slim can fail just like any Flash storage and it can not be removed because it's attached to the console motherboard.

If it was just the on-board storage that had failed, you could still use the console if you attached a hard drive. However, with the WiFi failing, the DVD drive not recognising discs and the inability to connect controllers properly suggests it has indeed
    failed.

Other than set up a repair, no there is nothing else you can do. Sorry.
  5. maxen Win User

Is my HDD going bad?

Hello Littleissa,

At this link here you can read about different troubleshooting steps pertaining to various hard drive-related issues:
    support.xbox.com/.../hard-drive

To take the hard drive out and put it back in you do not need to open up the console per sé, it's more opening a cover. There's a guide here, covering all the Xbox 360 models:

support.xbox.com/.../add-remove-hard-drive

You may also want to run through the steps for troubleshooting a bad update, which you can find here:

support.xbox.com/.../system-update-help

Let us know how you get on and if you have any questions.
  6. Irixion Win User

Is my HDD going bad?

OP --I'll save you some time. USB Thumb drives, use something known as flash memory. To save you time, they basically have a finite amount of read/writes before they stop working. For this reason, it's very, very cheap. For something like storing documents
    on, it's not a problem. However, since the Xbox reads and writes to the thumb drive a heck of a lot more than a document would, these drives fail quickly. I wouldn't recommend using a thumb drive on an Xbox for any amount of time. The performance on them is
    terrible, and they fail fairly quickly. For these reasons I suggest buying an external Hard Drive. You can buy 500 GB drives for fairly cheap, and they're going to last you a lot longer than a USB stick (provided you don't knock them around, mechanical drives
    are fragile creatures). As for brands, I would stay away from Seagate and PNY under all costs. You get what you pay for, and these drives are borderline trash. That, and they have compatibility issues with Xbox 360s. Western Digital drives are very resilient
    and are available for decent prices. I recommend buying a Western Digital Passport drive. They're small, portable, and are pretty darn great!

If your USB stick is working half the time, or at all, I would recommend that you stop use immediately to save your data from any potential loss that could happen if you continue using the drive.

If that's too long and you don't feel like reading that fat blob of text, don't use USB sticks. Buy yourself a Western Digital External. If you're tight on space you can buy a Western Digital Passport drive. Also, Seagate and PNY suck so avoid those.

Good luck! :)
Thema:

1. How to tell in my internal HDD is going bad? - Similar Threads - tell internal HDD

2. Why won't xbox tell people why their xbox got banned

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why won't xbox tell people why their xbox got banned: I have a friend who bought a fairly new xbox from Walmart in December 2023 now to ad some context this guy is stupid he doesn't know jack about software and how to hack program and tamper. He was...
  3. How can I download my xbox profile to my xbox 360 when its os keeps telling me my password...

in XBoX on Consoles
    How can I download my xbox profile to my xbox 360 when its os keeps telling me my password...: And don't give me some **** about two-step verification cause I got it disabled. 4f9e9087-d930-4e81-8174-5ac69ca0e78d
  4. Hello. Can you tell me what is the reason.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Hello. Can you tell me what is the reason.: Gamepad xbox series s/x when connected via xbox adapter is displayed as xbox one compatible wirelless device, but in the device manager as a hid device. How to solve this problem? I have updated...
  5. Stream my xbox ganeplay to tiktok tell me how to do this

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Stream my xbox ganeplay to tiktok tell me how to do this: Hey id love to know how i can strewm my xbox gameplay to tiktok i need more information 94498671-c888-4e8e-924a-988c57559cbb
  6. My xbox and tv keep shutting of and can't tell if it's a problem with the xbox and power...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My xbox and tv keep shutting of and can't tell if it's a problem with the xbox and power...: I've been having this problem where my xbox along with my TV keeps shutting off on me. It usually happens whenever I click into a game. I've tried plugging the xbox and hdmi into multiple outlets...
  7. Can someone tell me what this icon means?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Can someone tell me what this icon means?: [img] I’m wondering what this means 31338fa0-3a75-45f1-b015-f8feefd03834
  8. My X box 360 is not updating to latest version...Status code is coming please tell how to...

in XBoX on Windows
    My X box 360 is not updating to latest version...Status code is coming please tell how to...: Status Code= 3F45 -4497-1381-0300-C800-0036 This code is coming again and again 9cb1142d-31ae-4d99-a8b4-8c0888797a08
  9. So please someone who can tell me what in this post is bad.

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    So please someone who can tell me what in this post is bad.: My LFG "The Victorius Republic Get Interested for more info". For Stat wars Battle front 2. Just a group to play the game with. You know a Looking for group post on the looking for group forum....
  10. Please can anyone tell me what community standard was violated ? Support is a lie You...

in XBoX on Windows
    Please can anyone tell me what community standard was violated ? Support is a lie You...: [img] https://share.icloud.com/photos/025Ql6uMleG95OAFKojnIyokA 57980606-d88a-4614-bcae-2a91e3c92e09