How to Get the Xbox for PC app to find games installed before Windows Reinstallation

Discus and support How to Get the Xbox for PC app to find games installed before Windows Reinstallation in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; The app cannot find any previously installed games that are still taking up space in my drives. How can I get the app to actually see them, or... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by AspieGuy, Nov 6, 2021.

1. AspieGuy
    AspieGuy Guest

How to Get the Xbox for PC app to find games installed before Windows Reinstallation

The app cannot find any previously installed games that are still taking up space in my drives. How can I get the app to actually see them, or alternatively, how can I delete them? Looking for a method that doesn't involve reinstalling Windows.

To specify, these were games downloaded through the Game Pass.

:)

AspieGuy, Nov 6, 2021
  2. ClausReich Win User

Hello AspieGuy! I'm Claus, an Independent Microsoft Community Consultant for Xbox! Glad to be able to help you!

Those games cannot be used by your new Windows installation. You would have to format the drive where those games are installed, or remove the WindowsApps folder, and then you'd be able to install the again.
  3. AspieGuy Win User

How do I delete them? Every time I attempt to delete them it doesn't allow me saying only TrustedPilot can make changes to the folder. I tried changing the owner of the folder to Administrator in the advanced security tab, but it gave me the same popup only, now it is saying only the Administrator can make changes to the folder. And yes, I have the admin account.
  4. ClausReich Win User

I see that you've tried to change the ownership of the folder. You were close, but you need to change the ownership to your account. Follow these steps:

1. Open File Explorer.

2. Navigate to the drive containing the folder.

3. Right-click the WindowsApps folder and select the Properties option.

4. Click the Security tab > Advanced button > Change option.

5. Specify your account name (or the full email address associated with the account). If you can't define your account name, press on Advanced, then press the Locate/Find now button, and search for the account name (usually your name and e-mail address). Select your name on the list and press OK.

6. Press OK.

7. Mark the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects option.

8. Click the Apply button > OK.

9. Click on the Advanced button from the Security tab (inside WindowsApps folder Properties).

10. Click the Change permissions button > Add button> click on the "Select a principal" option.

11. Specify your account name (same procedure as the previous step where you had to add a account, on step 5).

12. Click the OK button.

13. Under the "Basic permissions" section, check the Full control option.

14. Click the OK button > click Apply > click OK > click OK one more time.

15. You can now delete the WindowsApps folder.
  5. XBF Chris J Win User

Minecraft for Windows 10

Hello Buszi,

Thanks for keeping us updated. We recommend manually logging off of both the Xbox companion app and windows. Afterwards, power cycle your PC and then re-sign into windows and then the xbox app. Launch Minecraft and then let us know the results.

If this doesn't help, have you already tried uninstalling/re-installing the game : How to uninstall and reinstall a game on Windows
  6. SammyVS Win User

Xbox Game Bar won't forget game when I tell it to

Try reinstalling Gamebar.

Open PowerShell as admin, copy and paste the code below and hit enter.

Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.XboxGamingOverlay | Remove-AppxPackage

Restart your PC, open the Microsoft Store app on your Windows, find the Game bar, and install it.
Thema:

1. How to Get the Xbox for PC app to find games installed before Windows Reinstallation - Similar Threads - app find games

2. Why can't I find my recent game clips on XBOX app?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why can't I find my recent game clips on XBOX app?: Ok, so I used the console companion app on my laptop to download, edit, and upload on my socials, but now the app doesn't work, and I can't find any way to find them. I've looked all over the...
  3. cant find windows gaming program on insider hub app

in XboX Insiders
    cant find windows gaming program on insider hub app: any reason the "windows gaming program" isnt showing up on my hub? currently trying to link my xbox to my pc while streaming so i can use obs studios, windows 11 submitted by...
  4. Redeemed game code but can't find game install option on Xbox app PC

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Redeemed game code but can't find game install option on Xbox app PC: I bought Street Fighter 6 digital from Best Buy the other day, but after redeeming it from the Xbox app, it doesn't give me any option to download/install it. I can only see it under purchase...
  5. cant find game in xbox app even though i bought it

in XBoX Games and Apps
    cant find game in xbox app even though i bought it: Yesterday I bought Star Wars Jedi Survior online using the microsoft store(website). But i cant find it in my library in the xbox app. It doesnt even appear when i try to look it up under the...
  6. I have just bought fm23 on my laptop through the Xbox app and can’t find the game anywhere....

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I have just bought fm23 on my laptop through the Xbox app and can’t find the game anywhere....: i just bought fm23 through laptop and don’t know where to find it 4c685f5e-d814-433b-a56e-67fafc06faa1
  7. Can the Xbox Game App (PC) find already installed games?

in XboX Insiders
    Can the Xbox Game App (PC) find already installed games?: Hi all, I have installed some games on my laptop with the Xbox App, which I would now like to access on a different device, my computer. For that, I have already managed to move the games from my...
  8. Can't find "Game Pass" icon in my PC app.

in XBoX Sales and Promo
    Can't find "Game Pass" icon in my PC app.: I bought Game Pass Ultimate to get Discord nitro perk, but there's no Game Pass icon in my PC app so i can't use that perk [img] ee100d87-3c6f-43b5-b072-74566bd53b44
  9. Cannot download ANY Xbox Game Pass game, cannot find them either, Xbox App not working.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Cannot download ANY Xbox Game Pass game, cannot find them either, Xbox App not working.: Heya, sorry for the confusing title (if it did). But lately something weird has been going on, lately (aka the past WEEKS) I have been unable to access any of the games on my Xbox Gamepass PC. I...
  10. Game streaming preview app won't find XBox

in XboX Insiders
    Game streaming preview app won't find XBox: I am in insider program I have the Omega build that supports console streaming I opened console streaming app, logged in, and pressed button to set up Xbox my Xbox opened a page to run streaming...