How to delete files from a failed xbox game download on PC

Discus and support How to delete files from a failed xbox game download on PC in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Having a nightmare with the Xbox app, which appears to be down to incompetent programming on Microsoft's part. Any help short of a total re-install... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by JagB2, Mar 13, 2023.

1. JagB2
    JagB2 Guest

Having a nightmare with the Xbox app, which appears to be down to incompetent programming on Microsoft's part. Any help short of a total re-install would be appreciated.

Had Forza Horizon 4 on Game Pass Ultimate for ages. This week it got stuck downloading a forced update so we couldn't play the game. It then disappeared from the installed list in the Xbox app and searching only gave the option to re-install. It then said we couldn't as there wasn't enough space (as the original install was still there taking up that space!).

So I uninstalled the game in Windows Apps and had 133Gb free.

Re-installed it, only for the Xbox app to fail to install it after download.

Now the space is used again but can't be freed up as it's hidden somewhere, and it refuses to re-install again due to a lack of fisk space as there's only 40Gb left.

I've tried :

WSReset in admin CMD prompt

uninstall and re-install xbox app.

Clear temporary files (a lot of online help suggests this but there are no temporary files listed when you do this.

Internet searches suggest this problem dates back at least 5yrs to the old companion app and is due to locking down the downloads so they are totally invisible.

I haven't found any location that has the 80Gb of files to indicate where it is stored, it is simply lost capacity

Anyone have any solutions to this?

Anyone found a way to open the downloads location so it can be wiped?

If not we'll be left with a total reinstall of windows (seriously MS ??!!), or buying a bigger disk and cloning the system over. I suspect the latter will still leave the space used up though.

thanks

To Microsoft : I honestly can't believe this is still an issue 5yrs after the earliest reports.

In any well written program like Steam you'd just delete the game folder and re-start, but this is Microsoft so obviously it's not possible to do anything that simple.

:)

JagB2, Mar 13, 2023
  2. JagB2 Win User

So I in part answered my own question with a workaround, but it's not ideal.

The downloaded game is stored in the folder :

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.SunriseBaseGame_2023.216.1439.2_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe

and up to to 2 other similarly named SunriseBaseGame folders

I found a solution was to gain access to the WindowsApps folder by taking control of the folder structure from the system and applying new permissions to grant the user access instead (or as well?). This includes all it's subdirectories.

I then found 3 SunriseBaseGame folders, one of which had the 90Gb of unreported data in it.

I deleted all 3, rebooted and freed up enough disk space to reinstall from the XBox app, and it now works.

There must be some more lost data somewhere as I'm still 8Gb short of the amount of space it should have returned to me, but I got 90% of the way there.

Better solutions would be appreciated as this method essentially opens a locked down folder for access using a user account, which just feels inherently an insecure way round it. I wasn't sure how to return permissions to the default settings so it's stayed unlocked.

As I intimated, this kind of incompetence stems from one company having too much market power across too many market domains, with insufficient competition to force them to write decent offerings.

Locking down a folder that can kidnap large amounts of storage when a program fails with no legitimate way of clearing the data is just rank incompetence, and wastes vast amounts of your user's precious time. We all have far better things to do than fix what shouldn't be broken...
  3. wolfboy97 Win User

Halo Fileshare?

Okay, thank you, @OnkelTobi, however, I want to download the files to my PC for Machinama and RGV on YouTube as well as Game Fails from RoosterTeeth and Achievement Hunter.
  4. Jacyintha Win User

download failed now can't reuse the download code

If it's failing to download, you likely will have to delete the corrupted file. The instructions on this page:

support.xbox.com/.../storage-space
    show you how to delete content from your console. Afterward, clear your system cache (support.xbox.com/.../clear-system-cache)
    and then redownload the content from your Download History as Chriswaa instructed.

~

Happy gaming!
  5. XBF Brad A Win User

Delete Windows 10 App Cloud Saved Data

Hello tear,

Thanks for coming to the forums with your question. Unfortunately, this is not possible from the PC to delete the save from the cloud. I have searched everywhere to make sure of this. Even if you found the game file on the PC it will not delete it from the
    cloud. Only way I know of to do this is from a console. Do you have a friend you can download your profile on their console then the game. If this game is purchased from steam you can delete it

from steam

Thanks,

Brad
  6. DangerousBard Win User

GTA 5 Disc/Installation Issues

Delete you digital downloaded game as well as any previous file of the failed installation. Clear your console cache three times in a row:

support.xbox.com/.../clear-system-cache

Try to download the game again from your download history
Thema:

1. How to delete files from a failed xbox game download on PC - Similar Threads - delete files failed

2. Xbox auto deleting game files?!

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox auto deleting game files?!: So I have a question for you guys. Ive seen lots of questions but little answers. Seeing if anybody is able to assist with a fix. So I decide to play my COD MW3. I boot up the game and it says I...
  3. My xbox one will not allow me to delete the save files from my game & app menu. What do I...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My xbox one will not allow me to delete the save files from my game & app menu. What do I...: My xbox one will not delete saved files from my game & app menu. I followed what the guidelines suggest and every time I reboot or restart my files are still there....
  4. How can I delete atiumdag.dll file from my Asus Zenbook 14?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How can I delete atiumdag.dll file from my Asus Zenbook 14?: Hello. I've been trying to play a private 2d game called Rebirth Ragnarok Online. I was told by the mod that I may delete said file (atiumdag.dll) and then I will be able to play the game. It...
  5. Deleted files for C:/XboxGames for game pass

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Deleted files for C:/XboxGames for game pass: Hello, I recently got a 3 month pass for game pass for PC. After installing games I realized I installed the games on the wrong drive. I installed everything onto my 500 gb SSD C instead of my 4...
  6. Deleted Xbox game bar system file.

in XBoX on Windows
    Deleted Xbox game bar system file.: I'm currently using Windows 11. I was having issues with Xbox game bar, so I uninstalled Xbox game bar by going to task manager > game bar > then I uninstalled the SYSTEM file. The problem is now...
  7. How do i get my deleted temporary files back or manage to get Game Services to work?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How do i get my deleted temporary files back or manage to get Game Services to work?: While triying to save up some space on my C: disk because i couldnt manage to transport data from it to the D: disk i accidently deleted my temporary files which was a huge mistake because i need...
  8. why cant i delete a games files that i no longer have. its taking up 60gb and i need to...

in XBoX on Windows
    why cant i delete a games files that i no longer have. its taking up 60gb and i need to...: its a world of warships file 5474634f-d939-42bb-bc1a-3e7bb3bf854a
  9. accidentally deleted save game file, how do i restore it? I deleted it from everywhere not...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    accidentally deleted save game file, how do i restore it? I deleted it from everywhere not...: how to restore game file after its been deleted from everywhere on the console. 16d507d7-b869-4271-afa1-4bfd30007e5d
  10. Factory reset on xbox (where deletes everything) going delete for example infected files...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Factory reset on xbox (where deletes everything) going delete for example infected files...: I need to know if I get something from Edge like virus or something. 9d8f6072-c443-425d-a0c2-2f653e026804