How do I buy a game from Xbox store for my son to play using his own sign-in/profile?

Discus and support How do I buy a game from Xbox store for my son to play using his own sign-in/profile? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi, I have an Xbox One S with my own sign-in account plus its linked to a microsoft account for my personal laptop. My 5 year old son has his own... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by T. Lewis Ash, Oct 13, 2017.

1. T. Lewis Ash
    T. Lewis Ash Guest

How do I buy a game from Xbox store for my son to play using his own sign-in/profile?

Hi,

I have an Xbox One S with my own sign-in account plus its linked to a microsoft account for my personal laptop.

My 5 year old son has his own sign-in/gmertag/etc for the Xbox, and as part of setting this up I also had to create a MS account for him as well (and Outlook email- though he is too young to use a computer/email so its essentially an account I hold the details
    for).

I want my son to be able to boot up the Xbox and sign-in using his own account by himself, and play his games.

Most of his games are boxed retail versions that I bought from actual shops, so he can put the disc in, sign-in and play without any help and without any concern that he could use his account to make accidental purchases.

However, I recently bought a digital copy of lego star wars from the microsoft/xbox on-line store. I used my own xbox/MS account to make the purchase (linked to my PayPal account). I didn't have any problems with the purchase or subsequent download/install
    onto the Xbox, however the console wont let my son play the game when he is signed-in. I guess it thinks he doesn't own the required license to play the game which seems a bit OTT given its the same console and i'm clearly his father. But anyway.... so it
    means he can only play the game when signed-in as me (because I purchased the game), which kinda defeats the point of him having his own profile. It also runs the risk of him being able to make accidental purchases (although there is a passkey set on my profile),
    and it also means that I can't really leave him to play unsupervised because he will have access to some of my own games (GTA, Witcher 3, Doom, etc) which clearly aren't suitable for a 5 year old!

My question is: What is the best way (is there a way?) for me to buy games from the on-line xbox store and then somehow install them or otherwise link them to my sons xbox profile so that he can play them signed-in under his own account rather than mine?

:)

T. Lewis Ash, Oct 13, 2017
  2. macy517
    macy517 Guest
    Xbox Live Gold membership

We have recently got an Xbox One. Never had an Xbox before. I am curious how Xbox Live Gold works. I see that you can buy 12 month membership. If I buy one, is it only me (under my sign in) that can use it or can my son use it too, with his sign in?
    Or do you get a separate Xbox Live account that anyone in the family can use from the one Xbox One?? My son will have his own games that he will want to use Live for.

macy517, Oct 13, 2017
  3. How do I play my Battlefield 1 game on 2 Xboxes

Battlefield 1 is on my sons account at my home on his xbox, I have an account also on this xbox. We both have xbox live gold. When my son is at his mums, we cannot play Battlefield 1 together as when I go on it states the owner of the game has to sign in
    which if I do signs my son out at his mums. How do we get around this? Do the settings need changing?

TrophicFern3556, Oct 13, 2017
  4. Smwutches
    Smwutches Guest

You would have to sign into his account and then purchase the games in order for them to be tied to his account. Nothing can be transferred between accounts. Otherwise, you can set the console as your Home console and he can access the games without you
    being signed in first. However, the Home setting will share all games, not just ones you choose. My Home Xbox Setting on Xbox One | Share Your Xbox One

Smwutches, Oct 13, 2017
  5. T. Lewis Ash
    T. Lewis Ash Guest
    OK many thanks. That does seem to be the case, after a couple of days of trying to find a way I think you're right.

What I am doing is topping his account up with money using the MS gift card facility, so that I can then go into his account/profile on xbox and buy the games essentially using pre-paid vouchers. This seems to be the only way I can get the games on his profile
    but without giving him unfettered access to my wallet!

T. Lewis Ash, Nov 1, 2018
  6. Smwutches Win User

You would have to sign into his account and then purchase the games in order for them to be tied to his account. Nothing can be transferred between accounts. Otherwise, you can set the console as your Home console and he can access the games without you
    being signed in first. However, the Home setting will share all games, not just ones you choose. https://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/game-setup/my-home-xbox
  7. T. Lewis Ash Win User

being signed in first. However, the Home setting will share all games, not just ones you choose. https://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/game-setup/my-home-xbox
    OK many thanks. That does seem to be the case, after a couple of days of trying to find a way I think you're right.

What I am doing is topping his account up with money using the MS gift card facility, so that I can then go into his account/profile on xbox and buy the games essentially using pre-paid vouchers. This seems to be the only way I can get the games on his profile
    but without giving him unfettered access to my wallet!
  8. XA JJKILLERs Win User

Xbox games and connections

Hi,

My son has historically used my xbox account to sign into games and link with friends. However, I've recently separated from my sons mum and its proving problematic for son to use / sign into my account to play games etc.

Is there any way of transferring his games, progress and conneections onto his own email/xbox account?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
    Games can not be transferred account to account
  9. AZWldctFan Win User

How do I do this? I want to share a game with other members of my family that use different Xbox consoles

My oldest son has his own console, his own login, and his own xbox live.

My youngest son has his own console, his own login, and his own xbox live.

The game should belong to my oldest son.

So how does this work? Do I want my youngest son's console to be the home console? Then when logged in as my oldest son on the home (youngest son's)console, download the game to the youngest son's console? Then let my oldest son go back to his console
    and have him download the game to that console too?

Then would my oldest be able to play his game on his own console (not the home console) with my youngest son also playing it on a different (home)console, with each kid logged in as themself?
  10. ArminatorX Win User

My son has XBox One; Can I use my PC to play XBox games with him remotely using an internet connection

Unfortunately, Minecraft for Windows 10 is not included in the Game Pass.

I don't know how you and your son have both bought a Game Pass membership. But you could get away with buying only one Game Pass (Ultimate) membership if you do it like this:

Make sure your and your son's account are both in the same Microsoft Family at
    https://account.microsoft.com/family

If your son is the one mainly playing on the console, your son should be the "owner" of the Game Pass subscription.

You then sign in on your Windows 10 PC with your Microsoft Account (make sure you use a Microsoft Account on your PC, and not just a local account) and start the Xbox (beta) app and the Windows 10 Store App.

Use the Menu to sign out of the app and let your son sign in with his own account.

Let your son download and install games that are Cross Play enabled AND included in the Game Pass for your PC and Xbox. For example, Forza Horizon 4, Gears 5, Sea of Thieves, etc.

After your son installed the games, you sign back in to these apps with your own account. Now you can launch "his" games on your PC, and he can launch the games on his Xbox. Then you can just join each others game, and play together.
Thema:

1. How do I buy a game from Xbox store for my son to play using his own sign-in/profile? - Similar Threads - buy game store

2. I bought a game on the Microsoft store and i have to buy it again

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I bought a game on the Microsoft store and i have to buy it again: I recently bought age of empires 2 de for my pc thorough the Microsoft store and now when i check back to it i hato buy it again, it's installed on my pc but it doesn't seem to register on the...
  3. I want to buy DLC for my game that just came out I don’t see it on the store

in XboX Insiders
    I want to buy DLC for my game that just came out I don’t see it on the store: I want to get get the Bardock DLC for Drapgn Ball Z Kakarot. It just came out today. It’s on PlayStation, steam and switch but I don’t see it on my Xbox one submitted by /u/Animefan_7698...
  4. I have a game on my xbox I wanna buy on my laptop, so if I buy it on microsoft store on my...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I have a game on my xbox I wanna buy on my laptop, so if I buy it on microsoft store on my...: I own Elden Ring on my xbox and I wanna get it on my laptop, but I'm not sure if the data and progress from my xbox will transfer over. 35f2cd30-e205-4105-b1a4-b7ad255f371a
  5. Can I use my egyption visa to buy games from us and turkey store and other country ,egypt...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can I use my egyption visa to buy games from us and turkey store and other country ,egypt...: Can I use my egyption visa to buy games from us and turkey store and other country ,egypt dont have a xbox store 08d4c66d-84e7-4b0a-b137-ed9118760b1a
  6. Why do I have to buy games again in the Microsoft store that you purchased on your previous...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why do I have to buy games again in the Microsoft store that you purchased on your previous...: My previous Xbox one broke it's had a problem with the HDMI port I sent it back through the Microsoft website and got a new one because I had a warranty but the games I've purchased on the...
  7. When I buy a game on the Xbox store do I receive a digital code?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    When I buy a game on the Xbox store do I receive a digital code?: Wanting to buy Portal: Still Alive as a gift for someone, but there's no gift option. Does buying it give me a code he can redeem on his Xbox One or will it be tied to my Microsoft account?...
  8. If I buy a game said to be an Xbox 360 game on the Xbox store website, can I download it on...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    If I buy a game said to be an Xbox 360 game on the Xbox store website, can I download it on...: In particular, Rayman 3 is currently on sale on the Xbox store (Buy Rayman 3 HD | Xbox) and it says it's originally an Xbox 360 game even though it says it can only be downloaded to the Xbox One...
  9. Unable to buy a pre-order game in the Xbox store as gift

in XboX Insiders
    Unable to buy a pre-order game in the Xbox store as gift: I would like to buy Lego Star Wars the Skywalker saga for my son as a gift. The pre-order however doesn't have the option "Buy as gift" where other games have this option (Ie. Far Cry 6 has this...
  10. I tried buying some games from the xbox store, but they aren't showing up

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I tried buying some games from the xbox store, but they aren't showing up: I tried to buy and install a couple of games using a gift card I got for Christmas. When I went to buy the first game, it showed an error. When i tried again, it prompted me to enter in my address...