How can the digital version work but not the physical?

Discus and support How can the digital version work but not the physical? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I purchased the modern warfare 2 physical cross gen disc and its missing the content packs 1-3 AND 5-6. It literally only has content pack 4. Which... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by BenG17, Dec 31, 2022.

1. BenG17
    BenG17 Guest

I purchased the modern warfare 2 physical cross gen disc and its missing the content packs 1-3 AND 5-6. It literally only has content pack 4. Which essentially makes the disc worthless. After numerous hours on the phone with Microsoft, xbox and activision (what a joke!) It was decided that the game disc itself did NOT have the content it needed to download the game. I bought the digital version and it worked instantly. How can this happen?? Premature launch?? Update after discs were sent to retailers to be sold?? DO BETTER ACTIVISION!

:)

BenG17, Dec 31, 2022
  2. SwordofWhedon Win User

Microsoft has no responsibility for the discs Activision has pressed or their contents

Over the last 5 years, the industry has gone from 6 major disc pressing plants to one, which is grossly overcapacity for at least another year. Discs have to be submitted to be pressed months in advance, which prevents the disc from containing anything but a loader and maybe some base assets. It's possible that disc was run off as early as May, 5 months before the code went gold

The disc allows you to download any content the Cross gen version allows you to access. Day one patches, major ones, required for play have been common for about a decade.
  3. BenG17 Win User

Understood. Then Activision really dropped the ball on this one. I edited my post.

This is all a foreign language to me anyway. Gaming has come a long way since my Nintendo days.

If its just a link to a online download on the game disc why could they not just fix it on their end vs me having to return the disc? Either way we got it solved after five days. I now have a happy boy! Thank you for the reply. I had no idea about the pressing process.
  4. Simple OJ Win User

Play Anywhere Gears 5 bought on Amazon

It only works with the digital version, not the physical.
  5. Skyrider Y Win User

Midnight Club Los Angeles

I don't know about the digital version, but the physical one works just fine! I think only Battlefield 3 has some problems with this, the game only works with the physical media, the digital version can't be played on the Xbox One.
  6. XB1R Hades Win User

Fallout

Hey there, It should work on all versions of the game both digital and physical.
Thema:

1. How can the digital version work but not the physical? - Similar Threads - digital version physical

2. is it possible to get games that i have cd's for just the digital version as the cds are...

in XBoX on Consoles
    is it possible to get games that i have cd's for just the digital version as the cds are...: when i try downloading the games it just stops midway and says installation stopped now i dont know if this is a problem with the cd or with the disk drive (xbox one)...
  3. How do you factory reset a Xbox One S all digital version

in XBoX Accessibility
    How do you factory reset a Xbox One S all digital version: Xbox is stuck on green screen of death and won't do anything I can't load the dashboard to factory reset and don't have a eject button to hold a39efa9c-9585-4387-8aea-70d0c8a5dad2
  4. I have the Series X, but I'm thinking about purchasing the series s digital version. My...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I have the Series X, but I'm thinking about purchasing the series s digital version. My...: I have the Series X, but I'm thinking about purchasing the series s digital version. My question is, if I've already purchased the disc version, will I have to rebuy the digital version as well?...
  5. If I upgrade from my Xbox One to the Xbox series S, will I need to re buy digital versions...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    If I upgrade from my Xbox One to the Xbox series S, will I need to re buy digital versions...: I am looking to upgrade to the Xbox series S, however all my games are currently hard copies. If I did upgrade to the S, will I need to replace/re buy all of my games as digital copies? Or as they...
  6. I just bought the $30 vault edition upgrade for Mw3, do you really need the digital version...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I just bought the $30 vault edition upgrade for Mw3, do you really need the digital version...: I hope i didnt pay $30 for nothing, if there isnt a way for it to work because I have the disk could i refund it? 21a5bcd7-e719-4134-aea9-ae91414d8620
  7. Unable to MSFS digital ownership version in order history, can't re-download

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Unable to MSFS digital ownership version in order history, can't re-download: I purchased MSFS in DEC of 2022 and installed and played it for several months. I deleted it to clear up space. When I went to go back and install it from XBOX, I couldn't find my purchase. I...
  8. Release Digital Version of Rise of Legends

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Release Digital Version of Rise of Legends: Rise of Nations is on Steam. Please give us Rise of Legends!!! Who at Microsoft do I need to talk to to make this a reality? 137877f3-9086-49b1-8e12-c43ac81b290d
  9. If I download the digital version of a game can I play the digital version using the disc?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    If I download the digital version of a game can I play the digital version using the disc?: I ordered ufc 5 disc and while waiting for it to arrive I downloaded the game to my Xbox and was wanting to know if I can then use the disc version of the game to verify and be able to play the...
  10. FORZA MOTORSPORT 7-Any way to play digital version on PC as i own a physical XBOX copy?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    FORZA MOTORSPORT 7-Any way to play digital version on PC as i own a physical XBOX copy?: I have forza motorsport 7 on my xbox account but its only the disc version so i cannot play it on PC, however because the game is delisted i cannot even play with gamepass. I know previous DLC...