How can I force my Xbox Series X to connect to the 5Gh channel / band of my router's...

Discus and support How can I force my Xbox Series X to connect to the 5Gh channel / band of my router's... in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Problem: I live in the UK. I have a BT Smart Hub which combines 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz into one Wi-Fi network and has no option so split out the bands into... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by balaamsafe, Aug 5, 2022.

1. balaamsafe
    balaamsafe Guest

How can I force my Xbox Series X to connect to the 5Gh channel / band of my router's...

Problem:

I live in the UK. I have a BT Smart Hub which combines 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz into one Wi-Fi network and has no option so split out the bands into two networks.

My Xbox Series X appears to connect to there first band that it discovers upon booting up, which means that half of the time it connects to 5 GHz, and the other half of the time it connects to 2.4 GHz.

I could turn off the 2.4 GHz band entirely but I have older devices that require this, so would rather not do that.

I would like to be able to tell my Xbox to only connect to the 5Ghz band, but I can't find a setting for this. Is there a way to do this?

:)

balaamsafe, Aug 5, 2022
  2. ngocphi Win User

How can I force my Xbox Series X to connect to the 5Gh channel / band of my router's combined 2.4 GHz/5 GHz output?

That is managed by your router

Not any devices that connect to it

Also should.be noted bt hubs are known to have issues with consoles
  3. Lucas Lauer Win User

How can I force my Xbox Series X to connect to the 5Gh channel / band of my router's combined 2.4 GHz/5 GHz output?

Hello, balaamsafe. Thanks for reaching out. I'm Lucas, an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user just like you. I'll be glad to help you out.

You cannot force the console to use only 5Ghz. But what you could do - if possible by your router - is to setup different names and passwords for the 2.4Ghz and the 5Ghz connection. Then, setup only the 5Ghz connection on the console. It will only connect to it then.

If your router doesn't support this, then the only other option would be to disable the 2.4Ghz network.

Feel free to ask back any questions.
  4. NickD54 Win User

My xbox series s download speed low and I can't play my 2k without getting kicc out the game because on lagging

Have the issue on my series x under WiFi , all my other devices are fine but when I use the series x under 2.4gh it’s really bad lag and 5gh is better but still laggy, only solution that I found right now is to use Ethernet and completely disconnect WiFi. Hope this helps!
  5. ImJustADemo Win User

Connection speed

I'm using the Wireless that comes with the Xbox slim, I know it supports N. It's not a Dual Band router. I'm running on a WEP pass security.

I don't know how to check what it is broadcasting with the Linksys WRT110. I can see the radio band is set to Auto- 20/40Mhz channel. My other option is jst Standard- 20Mhz This router can go up to 130Mbps.

I have a setting to were it will only take Wireless-N, but I've tried this and cant connect with my xbox when I try. And I have others connecting to this router so I don't want to kick them off, I haven't checked what they connect on.

I've checked all the tabs on my router and do not see what it is broadcasting at.
  6. Malacath Win User

Horrible Wireless Performance

@Daitheflu916

Have you tried changing the wifi channel?

Also what wifi band are you using?

If you are using the standard 2.4Ghz band then wifi can be so congested that it's impossible to get a decent speed. Although changing the wifi channel can help. For instance I get a massive speed drop if I am using wifi channel 1 but if I switch to channel
    11 the speed doubles.

If you have a dual band AC router though then try connecting to the 5Ghz band.

I got a massive speed boost when I did that. With 2.4Ghz I was lucky to get speeds above 10Mbps. Now I get the full speed of my line which is 75megs.
Thema:

1. How can I force my Xbox Series X to connect to the 5Gh channel / band of my router's... - Similar Threads - force Series connect

2. Microsoft sidewinder force feedback wheel driver

in XBoX on Windows
    Microsoft sidewinder force feedback wheel driver: Hi microsoft sidewinder force feedback steering set does it have drivers compatible with windows 11? I know it is very old but it still works in computer games, I need a driver to test the...
  3. Xbox apps force close

in XBoX Accessibility
    Xbox apps force close: Hello, today i buy xbox game pass and i download xbox app to download the game, but everytime i run xbox app, it appeared xbox logo but after that force close everytime i run it, i tried to fix it...
  4. Why do games like MW3 force an update which takes forever?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why do games like MW3 force an update which takes forever?: Its 2024 and bandwidth is a solved problem. Why am I paying subscription fees and over $100 to play a game that doesn't have modern reliability. MW3 updates at least once a month and more or less...
  5. every time i want to play an xbox 360 game on my xbox series x it forces me to start from...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    every time i want to play an xbox 360 game on my xbox series x it forces me to start from...: every time i want to play an xbox 360 game on my xbox series x it forces me to start from the beginning, this are games that i have on physical copies, the games are installed on the internal...
  6. Sonic Forces crashing on Series X. How to fix?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Sonic Forces crashing on Series X. How to fix?: I was enjoying some Sonic games on my Series X and when I try to launch Forces, it just fades back the Dashboard. No error pop-up either. Just fades back. Tried to delete and reinstall the game,...
  7. Series X is forcing LG CX to record?

in XboX Insiders
    Series X is forcing LG CX to record?: I just started getting this message on my LG CX TV. "Content is not available while recording. Do you want to stop recording and play the content?" Replying `Yes` or `No` does not help because...
  8. How to fix crashing on Sonic Forces on Xbox One played on Series X?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How to fix crashing on Sonic Forces on Xbox One played on Series X?: I was about to play Forces today until I constantly boot back to the menu when attempting to launch the game. Tried restarting, uninstalling and reinstalling the game and hard reset. NOTHING...
  9. Why does my Series S force me to buy the game pass before playing Ubisoft games (trivial...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does my Series S force me to buy the game pass before playing Ubisoft games (trivial...: I have owned these Ubisoft games for at least a year and have played online with friends without any issues, but now when I launch them and go to start an online game it brings up the game pass...
  10. Xbox Series X HDMI cable forcing 680 x 420 resolution.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X HDMI cable forcing 680 x 420 resolution.: Bit of a weird problem. Everything was working perfectly then I decided to test some Xbox 360 consoles I had recently picked up which apparently had faults. Instead of re wiring another HDMI...