How can I change my child's (MS Family) permissions to allow them to add friends in...

Discus and support How can I change my child's (MS Family) permissions to allow them to add friends in... in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I have just set up MS family on a new PC, created a Microsoft account for my child, and bought Minecraft with it. It works but it won't let him add... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by Johnny_Dee, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Johnny_Dee
    Johnny_Dee Guest

How can I change my child's (MS Family) permissions to allow them to add friends in...

I have just set up MS family on a new PC, created a Microsoft account for my child, and bought Minecraft with it. It works but it won't let him add friends. It says:

"You need permission

You cannot add friends because of how your microsoft account is set up. This can be changed in your privacy and online safety settings on aka.ms/accountsettings"

I've followed this and logged in with my (adult) MS account, but I can't find where I can give him these permissions. I've searched various threads, including one which offers the advice below, but I can't find it that way either:

"Also, the parent account should make sure that his account is allowed to add friends online. You can do that by heading to
    https://account.microsoft.com and click on Family. "

I thought about accessing Minecraft through my profile, adding friends that way but I can't even run it as it was bought on his child account.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

:)

Johnny_Dee, Apr 9, 2020
  2. Johnny_Dee Win User

How can I change my child's (MS Family) permissions to allow them to add friends in Minecraft (Win10 PC version - Not Java)?

Hi Brad

Many thanks I think this has sorted it as Minecraft now opens an Xbox Console Companion window and appears to allow me to search for his friends. We'll carry on tomorrow.

I have to say that it wasn't that easy to find these things even with your instruction, but I got there in the end. I've kind of got this feeling that I might be getting too old for this stuff ;-)

Thanks!
  3. jaghuar Win User

How can I change my child's (MS Family) permissions to allow them to add friends in Minecraft (Win10 PC version - Not Java)?

I have activated all these settings and my child’s profile still cannot add friends on minecraft. I can join his world but he cannot join my world. He shows 1 friend on the friends tab but it doesn’t show any joinable friends or my world inside the friends
    tab. I have even changed all settings to allow everything (defeats the purpose) and I still cannot add friends on his account. Please help!!!!!!
  4. XBF Leo G Win User

Hello jaghuar,

Thank you for posting on the Xbox forums. We will be locking this thread due to it being revived by a new post. If there are any questions, discussions or issues that anyone would like to bring to our attention, please create a new thread. We will be
    more than happy to answer any questions or provide solutions for any issues. Thank you again and happy gaming
    jaghuar!
  5. XBF Brad A Win User

Hello Johnny,

Thanks for coming to the forums with your issue. Sounds like the cross play is not enabled in settings, were you able to look at the
    privacy and online settings? We will give you the
    steps to change the exact ones for the cross platform use.

1. You will go to the Xbox websiteand sign in on the adult profile.

2. Once signed in, click your picture top right corner go to Xbox profile.

3. Click on privacy settings.

4. Once in settings, under the picture see Privacy, Xbox One/Windows 10 online safety. Select the Xbox one/Windows 10 online safety.

5. You will see you gamertag you are looking for one setting:

6. The two you want to make sure say allow and everybody are:
      1. "you can play with people outside of Xbox live" set to allow

2. Now click on privacy you are looking for one setting:

"you can communicate outside of Xbox live with voice and text" set to allow

Hope this helps.

Brad
  6. Boom B00M Boom Win User

To change privacy and safety settings for a child

These settings help you manage how others see your child's profile, communicate with your child, and interact with your child's content. You can also make sure your child only sees age appropriate games, content, and websites.

1. Go to Xbox.com and sign in to your account (this must be an adult account).

Note

If you’ve forgotten your account email address or password, see the Lost Account Solution or the Lost
      Password Solution
    2. Select More options , then select Xbox settings.
    3. Select Privacy & online safety.
    4. Select the gamertag for your child's account.
    5. Select either the Xbox One/Windows 10 Online Safety tab or the Privacy tab. Review the current settings and update any that you want to change.
    6. Select Save before leaving or switching to another tab. If you don't save the changes before you move to the other tab, your changes won't be saved.
    7. Have your child sign in and then sign out of their account to make sure the changes take effect.
Thema:

1. How can I change my child's (MS Family) permissions to allow them to add friends in... - Similar Threads - change child's Family

2. I have a child account and I want to change my profile picture to a custom one can I change...

in XBoX Accessibility
    I have a child account and I want to change my profile picture to a custom one can I change...: I want to know if I can fix this 7b68a85c-ccba-42f2-a464-837ebab60649
  3. How do i change a child account to an adult account

in XBoX Accessibility
    How do i change a child account to an adult account: I can not make my account an adult account even though i am 18 years old and it says that on the account on Microsoft as well 72148e57-0e98-465d-9461-d6c200a7ec0b
  4. Change Child Account Region

in XBoX Accessibility
    Change Child Account Region: We have migrated to a new country and I am unable to change the region on my child's microsoft account. 83a9d129-b37c-4e73-88aa-c571c98967ce
  5. Change Adult Account into Child Account

in XBoX Accessibility
    Change Adult Account into Child Account: I accidentally made what was supposed to be a child account an adult account and I need to change it but it's not letting me. I don't want to delete all of the progress on the account tho....
  6. How do I change how often my child is required to enter their password?

in XBoX Accessibility
    How do I change how often my child is required to enter their password?: I have a family account set up. I am the owner and I have one child on it. Every time we try to log them in on Xbox, it requires a password. I want to change it so that we don't have to enter a...
  7. change child's account region

in XBoX Accessibility
    change child's account region: It wont let me change child's account region when i try to do this it is greyed out. 10d76f58-8d30-4a77-95ab-ff8614522adb
  8. Change account to make organizer into child account

in XBoX Accessibility
    Change account to make organizer into child account: Hello, I need some tech help. When we got our xbox, I set up an account for my son. I then set up a different account from my daughter using a different email address as I was not tech savvy...
  9. Child account changes

in XBoX Accessibility
    Child account changes: Hey there, community! Some of you may start to get an email, or message on your screen when signing into Xbox, detailing that you need to have a parent or guardian sign into their account to...
  10. Still under as child on Xbox family and have no way of changing it!

in XBoX Accessibility
    Still under as child on Xbox family and have no way of changing it!: When trying to purchase Xbox Game Pass Ultimate I was told I ‘need an adult to buy it’. I’ve read other forums and understand what my issue is I just have no way of resolving it, I am over 18...