How can a £500 premium product not last 12 month? Is Xbox Series X a dud?

Discus and support How can a £500 premium product not last 12 month? Is Xbox Series X a dud? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Been an Xbox fan for a while and an owner since the first gen... until now. Bought an xbox series x just over a year ago and loved it. It run into... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by adcoop956, Oct 15, 2022.

1. adcoop956
    adcoop956 Guest

Been an Xbox fan for a while and an owner since the first gen... until now.

Bought an xbox series x just over a year ago and loved it. It run into some teething troubles 5 months into ownership so I returned it for 3 or 4 weeks under warranty. Thankfully, this was replaced by another unit so I was back in the game.

Worked fine but started developing issues 3 or 4 months ago. Not obvious at first so I went down the route of software fixes. Not all games had issues and I could work around this by playing directly online without downloading anything.

I finally decided to get to the bottom of it when my son had issues with the new Fortnite update. After several weeks of diagnosis, clearing Mac addresses, and deleting and reinstalling I contacted xbox.

Another hardware issue. This time, not covered under warranty due to the second unit only having 3 months cover. It could be serviced but this was a whopping £285! I explained to the quite dismissive support guy in the phone that both my units had not lasted even 12 month AND I hadn't even had the replacement for 10 months.

I also asked if this is the kind of quality Microsoft were delivering and would I be expected to service or replace each console every year? Not what I expect (especially as I have my 8 year old xbox one still fully serviceable).

There was no one to log a complaint with so I thought I'd vent here.

If you are considering a Series X - take a long warranty and expect some snags.

I'll be considering a move to Sony, which is a real shame.

:)

adcoop956, Oct 15, 2022
  2. DonkeyRhubarb Win User

Mine went defective too after about 5 months of light use. Just got it back from the service centre and seems ok so far, though my faith in the longevity of it has been dented. I had to get it on All Access as nowhere had normal stock at the time, so will be extermely annoyed if it breaks again whilst I still have to pay off the balance!

Been thinking of taking out gadget insurance on it when the rest of warranty runs out, £40 a year with £40 excess and possibly less hassle than having to go the consumer rights route. Plus get accident damage and theft included.
  3. adcoop956 Win User

I'm not quibbling over days in the month. Although the pedantry is amusing.

The issue I have is having 2 £500 games consoles that can't last a year without breaking.

My worry being 'is the next one going to do the same'.
  4. adcoop956 Win User

Understand the warranty, that was explained. My issue being a new console I thought would provide 12 months.

All the games were on internal hard drive. Never used an external HD, never needed to.

Sony aside, if I bought any electronic product for £500, I would expect it to last more that 12 month. On both occasions.

Does this mean the quality is sub standard. Never had it previously (apart from the red ring on death).

It's just a poor show in my eyes.
  5. HomegrownSilky Win User

90 days is 3 months

besides this is in the UK we have laws that override warranty status.
    Not all months have 30 days, so 90 days is not always 3 months. The only time 30 days is equal to 3 months is January to March (not including leap years) with the amount of days being 31 (Jan), 28 (Feb), and 31 (March) for a total of 90 days. That is the only instance of 30 days equalling 3 months.
  6. ngocphi Win User

Well regardless if Sony or xbox you are out of warranty there is a service charge from what I heard of Sony's service charge it's worse

And it's not 3 month warranty

It's 90days or the remainder of your warranty whichever is longer

So if you had no warranty or 60days left and you had it repaired then the 90 days kicks in

DId you try a hard factory reset that means removing games and apps

And if you are installing the game.on external hdd maybe consider moving it to internal

Optimized games.are supposed to.run on internal drive or storage.card

Fyi sony has been known to have bugs and theu don't reimburse

Like the one update that corrupted my external storage and only fix format the drive
Thema:

1. How can a £500 premium product not last 12 month? Is Xbox Series X a dud? - Similar Threads - £500 premium product

2. http error 500 when attempting to log into halo support / halo waypoint

in XBoX Accessibility
    http error 500 when attempting to log into halo support / halo waypoint: i have attempted this several times over the course of a year. i log into halo support by entering my email and password and then im immediately hit with "this page isnt working,...
  3. Over $500 I spent, and I have to have Duracell batteries for my controller shouldn’t have...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Over $500 I spent, and I have to have Duracell batteries for my controller shouldn’t have...: Why??? How long do you think two batteries last you think I wanna buy Duracell batteries every day that is the most crazy thing I have ever seen 4 k terabyte system needs there are cell batteries....
  4. Using a retail WD Blue 500 GB HDD as a replacement internal HDD in my Xbox 360 with the...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Using a retail WD Blue 500 GB HDD as a replacement internal HDD in my Xbox 360 with the...: I have a fat Xbox 360 with a standard 20 GB Microsoft HDD. To be honest 20 GB is not enough for all the games that I own from Gold. With Microsoft shutting the store down next year I want to...
  5. I bought 500 Overwatch coins with rewards but they never arrive what should I do?

in XBoX on Windows
    I bought 500 Overwatch coins with rewards but they never arrive what should I do?: Everything was alright until I reedem the code battlenet told me it would take few hours for the coins to appear but it's been 2 days in battlenet they said sometimes it takes 24 hours but I am...
  6. Cannot change my xbox gamertag, it shows 500 error

in XBoX Accessibility
    Cannot change my xbox gamertag, it shows 500 error: I cannot change my xbox gamertag currently, i'm trying to change my gamertag for the first time here https://social.xbox.com/changegamertag even though the option is available, i'm stuck at the...
  7. error 500 when opening realm tab in minecraft (something about certification)

in XBoX Games and Apps
    error 500 when opening realm tab in minecraft (something about certification): heya guys! i have been trying to see any way to fix this but all the "fix" did nothing and i keep getting this problem, not sure how to fix it but ill add a pic with this just incase anyone who...
  8. Xbox one has slow WiFi speed. I have 500 at home other devices test over 300 Xbox test at 47

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one has slow WiFi speed. I have 500 at home other devices test over 300 Xbox test at 47: Xbox one has slow WiFi speed. I have 500 at home other devices test over 300 Xbox test at 47 d63eb2ac-cc9a-455e-8085-c6c37e6a93ba
  9. Xbox cloud tv setup HTTP ERROR 500

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox cloud tv setup HTTP ERROR 500: Hello, I am trying to log back into Xbox cloud tv account, and once I go to the website www.xbox.com/tvsetup and after entering the code that appears on the tv and entering the code that is in my...
  10. Can't use GPS 500 in FSX:SE to set an approach to an airport

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't use GPS 500 in FSX:SE to set an approach to an airport: Hi all! I'm trying to use the GPS 500 in Flight Simulator X : Steam Edition to set up a flight plan and an approach to an airport. I can set up the flight plan to the destination airport with no...