Home xbox security flaw

Discus and support Home xbox security flaw in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; So today I've spent hours talking with Microsoft customer support. I have found out a potential flaw with the family security on xbox. My son (14... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by ChrisMcCall2, Nov 19, 2021.

1. ChrisMcCall2
    ChrisMcCall2 Guest

Home xbox security flaw

So today I've spent hours talking with Microsoft customer support.

I have found out a potential flaw with the family security on xbox.

My son (14 years old) has an xbox x where he gets his xbox ultimate paid for by subscription and we download games etc, his xbox is the "home xbox" where I can share his subscription and play his games on my xbox s.

Even though I have set up me as the parent account and he is the child account somehow xbox is alllowed him to swap the "home xbox" setting 5 times, to friends outwith my family. He didn't even need to log into my Microsoft account and I was completely unaware of this happened and it locked my xbox out until Nov 22.

I phoned xbox to ask why I didn't get notified of these changes, which I wouldn't of authorised The 1st customer support vanished, the 2nd customer support effectively told me I was telling lies and what I said was impossible to do, he then told me to hang up and phone another operator. The 3rd customer support was fantastic and helped me out. But couldn't advise me on how to stop it happening again.

So in a nut shell it is currently possible for him to buy on the xbox x (with my online consent) Forza Horizon 5 premium edition for £84.99 and various in game purchases on the xbox x then my son can switch the "home xbox" setting and lock me out without me getting asked authorise the change.

I think this undermines the parent account and potentially allowing strangers access to my account and I have no control over this.

It'll be interesting to hear what Microsoft think of this issue.

:)

ChrisMcCall2, Nov 19, 2021
  2. Farscape247 Win User

Home xbox security flaw

change the account password, make sure he does not know his password, then he can't go sharing his login details with people to share games.

setting a home console does not come under parental controls,
  3. SammyVS Win User

Home xbox security flaw

I'm Samy an independent advisor. Welcome to the Xbox community. How are you?

Xbox home is an individual feature of each account, with that in mind, sharing your account information with other users is a violation of Microsoft's terms of service and may lead to account suspension.

Instruct him not to share his account information with other users as if he continues to do so he could lose his account and his games.
  4. ngocphi Win User

Home xbox security flaw

Ya you don't seem to understand parental settings

Like farscape said home share has nothing to do with parental setting

What you should be more concerned with is your son sharing his account details that's a big No No especially if thru xbox live and if he asks for login info back over xbox msgs it's phishing and ita a punishment he wouldn't want

If you want to share your account it has to be the owner doing it not to be passed around like candy
  5. ChrisMcCall2 Win User

Home xbox security flaw

Thanks SamQY, I have explained to him what he's done wrong and why it's wrong, if the "system" gave me a notice when he wanted to change the "home xbox" setting I could have then at that moment explained his wrong doings.

I just think that a setting like switching the home xbox should be a parent setting when there's a child account involved.
  6. ChrisMcCall2 Win User

Home xbox security flaw

I hear what your saying but taking his password off him seems a bit draconian, he needs his password to log into his games ect, also if he's to learn and understand the whole workings of passwords and account security he's better learning now, but the question is why is he as a child able to share this account information without my knowledge when I hold the parent account, if I was to get a notification saying he's trying to share his console I then could decide and if required educate him there and then why he's making a dodgy decision.

The 2nd customer support person said my son should not have been able to change this setting without my password.
Thema:

Home xbox security flaw

1. Home xbox security flaw - Similar Threads - Home security flaw

2. I reached the max amount of people that you can have as your home Xbox

in XBoX on Windows
    I reached the max amount of people that you can have as your home Xbox: as the title says I reached the max home Xbox’s My question is how can I see All the accounts that have my xbox as there home Xbox bd108644-e57a-4251-aa8e-b1ea285d8493
  3. Xbox X crashing to Home Screen!

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox X crashing to Home Screen!: So I’ve had my Xbox X for just over a year now, since I tried to play starfield my Xbox started crashing to Home Screen. I gave up trying to play starfield tried all steps in posts I’ve seen even...
  4. Call Of Duty With Tmobile Home Internet On Xbox One Series X

in XBoX on Consoles
    Call Of Duty With Tmobile Home Internet On Xbox One Series X: When I first tried connecting my Xbox One to my T-Mobile home internet I couldn't even connect to Xbox Live but I plugged the Xbox into the modem with an ethernet cable and now the game works fine...
  5. Dolby Atmos for home theater not upmixing stereo games correctly

in XboX Insiders
    Dolby Atmos for home theater not upmixing stereo games correctly: I was playing Inside and I notice that the upmixer only sends audio to the height channels, center and surround channels are blank with no audio. submitted by /u/jay23738 [link] [comments]
  6. unable to reset home xbox - tried the exception and it extended the ban by three months....

in XBoX on Consoles
    unable to reset home xbox - tried the exception and it extended the ban by three months....: One child changed home xbox to a friend's (different house). Now younger sibling cannot access all features while older one is using xbox. Used up 5 changes. Tried to do the help thing where you...
  7. Question: Home screen display ...........

in XboX Insiders
    Question: Home screen display ...........: Given I am already a Game Pass Ultimate subcriber (and have been for 3+ years), how exactly, is this useful to me? Your post editor wouldn't allow me to actually attach them(the "Image & Video",...
  8. I had gameshared with a friend earlier today and my own Xbox got removed from home when It...

in XBoX on Windows
    I had gameshared with a friend earlier today and my own Xbox got removed from home when It...: So I've been dealing with my Xbox having a constant removal on my home on my Xbox whenever I game share with my two friends and it keeps on removing itself when it's activated and just bugs the...
  9. Custom background for home screen on xbox

in XboX Insiders
    Custom background for home screen on xbox: I thought i would be really cool to have a background system where you could download something from the web. Bc i have seen awesome backgrounds/moving backgrounds that i would love to have on my...
  10. home xbox game share not working

in XBoX on Windows
    home xbox game share not working: MY friend and I both have our xbox accounts gameshared with each other but despite my account working his xbox, his account was signed out of my xbox and I had to re enter his password, and now...