Home screen is fine but HDR turns off when I boot up games, and everything gets too bright

Discus and support Home screen is fine but HDR turns off when I boot up games, and everything gets too bright in XboX Insiders to solve the problem; Was playing Marvel Midnight Sun, everything was fine, but the game crashed I booted it up again and now HDR is messed up (yes also on other games).... Discussion in 'XboX Insiders' started by /u/Bacbi, Jan 12, 2023.

1. /u/Bacbi
    /u/Bacbi Guest

Home screen is fine but HDR turns off when I boot up games, and everything gets too bright

Was playing Marvel Midnight Sun, everything was fine, but the game crashed I booted it up again and now HDR is messed up (yes also on other games). While it technically says that HDR is turned on, when I turned it off, and booted up the game again it looked exactly the same as when the screen flashes black when turning HDR "on" from booting up the game. Something btw my Xbox didn't do until today, it would say HDR when I booted up the Xbox on the homescreen but I'd never get an HDR message when I turned any games on.

I have experiences with HDR turning on even though it's already turned on with my PS5, but this is different. When I went to compare the TV settings from the Xbox Home screen and the ingame to see if maybe it treated it as a new port. The settings on my home screen and in-game were completely different. I tried to fix it by copy-pasting the TV settings I have on my home screen in the game. But it really didn't do much of a difference. To me, it honestly looks like someone has turned the gamma brightness up, and to some extent, that resolution is down. Take cards from the game, when you look at their edges of them, or even the characters they don't look completely smooth or correctly color-corrected like it was. Another thing to note is in my TV settings, on the regular HDR Xbox home screen, I can change the TV gamma settings, while in-game that setting has now been greyed out, and changing the only thing you can do in game by sliding gamma up and down doesn't help much. I feel like that spesific thing being greyed out can be the main culprit, but I'm not sure hence the other details. And even if it is that I don't know how to fix it.

I've hard reset my xbox several times, tried to use HDR calibration with the game turned on and off, change the resolutions turned HDR off, HDR on but auto off etc. I'm simply out of ideas here.

submitted by /u/Bacbi
    [link] [comments]

/u/Bacbi, Jan 12, 2023
  2. fwcatr Win User

Xbox One Brightness too strong problem

Thank you for the reply JosefLBohorquez.

The odd thing is it just started, everything was perfectly fine up to that point where the problem showed up. The game mode typically displays when an Xbox game loads, there is an indication in the middle of the screen when it turns off and on.

Another odd thing is that MLB The Show 22 does not show this problem. When I load games like Fortnite, Elden Ring then the problem exists.

I tried the disable HDR mode too, that didn't fix the problem. I tried all the typical brightness, contrast settings on the tv and Xbox, but that didn't fix anything.

When I am able, I will try another tv and see what happens, then reply to this with the result.

Haven't tried any other troubleshooting besides what I posted.
  3. EmbodiedAlarm33 Win User

4K UHD Blu-ray problems - picture stuttering

Update: I tried the 4K UHD Blu-Ray version of the Martian (brand new), and the same problem occurred. Stuttering and dropped frames with HDR enabled on the XBox, and flawless playing with HDR turned off. Once again, auto brightness was turned off, motion
    smoothing features turned off, my Vizio P55-C1 definitely supports HDR10 (it's getting an HDR signal from the XBox when I have HDR turned on) and firmware updates for the TV are automatic.
  4. Spacman77 Win User

Since update, slow cold starts?

I seem to have a problem on start up latelying. When you get to the home screen and try to play a game or access anything nothing responds. When I turn my console off the white light at the front of the machine flashes for about 5 to 10 minutes then turns
    off. After that when I turn the console back on it works fine. Starting to get fed up with this now.
  5. Davidson-EA3DD772-4E Win User

Xbox One X dimming for some games and apps

Found out HDR was the issue. If I turn off the HDR everything works fine. Anyone know why all of a sudden HDR would cause my XBox to dim?
  6. Jerger Nice Win User

Hdr washed out colors and dimmer during hdr content

I too have problems Samsung UE49KS8000 upon booting up FH3 HDR kicks in and it's like someone has stuck a smokey film over the screen , I also have a ps4 pro and I have no such issues with horizon zero dawn in 4K HDR .

Really poor that so many people are experiencing this on a wide range of TVs yet Microsoft don't recognise it even though it's one of their biggest selling points on the one s!!!

Wake up MS you've got the Scorpio dropping in several months ,I'm having my doubts especially as this issue may carry over .

To be quite honest FH3 looks absolutely dreadful in HDR and it's put me off playing it !!!
    FIX

I found a fix sort of work around. Im on pc. but had the exact same greying washed out look with hdr enabled. it switched my tv to hdr mode but everything looked washed out. playing with the limited settings was a waste of time.

since im on pc ive also had driver issues and win 10 creators update issue. ive spent many hours on this and many emails back and forth to nvidia and calls to sony. nvidia certainly helped on some creators update issues with the latest driver but no fix
    for the washed out hdr.

fix-

i have 930c Sony.

after hdr enabled and the tv goes into hdr mode(on sony you cant change from hdr mode while hdr is active). that is important. that way you know your hardware is sending the signal the tv needs in part.

in any case.

i simply unplugged my hdmi cable and replugged in and it fixed everything. tv still in hdr mode and amazing super bright colorful. i actually turned down my color settings. andromeda looked amazing.

now when i run a game that does not support hdr it looks fine in the game actually pretty amazing using the expanded color palette i believe but not really getting the hdr brightness. however when exiting non hdr games the hdr returns to washed out until
    i do the unplug deal again. again win 10 itself has hdr mode. im sure xbox and ps4 gui is not hdr(not sure) so you may have to try to unplug after each hdr game is initiated???

something about unplugging and reconnecting on pc is doing something to help.
Thema:

1. Home screen is fine but HDR turns off when I boot up games, and everything gets too bright - Similar Threads - Home screen fine

2. Is there a way to pin the game/app tiles at the top of the home screen?

in XBoX on Windows
    Is there a way to pin the game/app tiles at the top of the home screen?: Hi, I just wondered if there was a way to pin the game/app tiles at the top of the home screen? This is mostly just an aesthetics thing for me but also to make things easy to access too. I...
  3. Xbox home screen (Default) Change idea 2024

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox home screen (Default) Change idea 2024: When it says who's playing today? if its dark outside wouldn't it be better to say who is playing tonight? because if you think about it at night time people might know its today but it sounds...
  4. Xbox X crashing to Home Screen!

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox X crashing to Home Screen!: So I’ve had my Xbox X for just over a year now, since I tried to play starfield my Xbox started crashing to Home Screen. I gave up trying to play starfield tried all steps in posts I’ve seen even...
  5. Question: Home screen display ...........

in XboX Insiders
    Question: Home screen display ...........: Given I am already a Game Pass Ultimate subcriber (and have been for 3+ years), how exactly, is this useful to me? Your post editor wouldn't allow me to actually attach them(the "Image & Video",...
  6. Custom background for home screen on xbox

in XboX Insiders
    Custom background for home screen on xbox: I thought i would be really cool to have a background system where you could download something from the web. Bc i have seen awesome backgrounds/moving backgrounds that i would love to have on my...
  7. Is it normal that I can use my keyboard to navigate the Xbox Home Screen but when I try to...

in XBoX on Windows
    Is it normal that I can use my keyboard to navigate the Xbox Home Screen but when I try to...: I want to play games with my keyboard but it doesn’t work in any game but does work in the Home Screen. If you know how to resolve this problem please tell me because I would like to restart...
  8. Samsung tv not allowing me to access Xbox Home Screen with Xbox remote

in XBoX on Windows
    Samsung tv not allowing me to access Xbox Home Screen with Xbox remote: I have a Samsung 75” crystal UHD tv. I hooked my Xbox one to the hdmi port 1 and can see that the tv detects the Xbox. When I try to access the Xbox, instead of going to the hdmi1 source, it goes...
  9. A button not working on Home screen/Guide

in XboX Insiders
    A button not working on Home screen/Guide: Just started happening a few days ago, randomly my A button won't do anything, works in apps and in games but won't work on the Home screen or the guide (friends list, party, etc.). On screen when...
  10. Hi everyone my Xbox series x is not responding to the button a when on Home Screen I have...

in XBoX on Windows
    Hi everyone my Xbox series x is not responding to the button a when on Home Screen I have...: Urgent as Xbox not doing anything ca1586cd-ca3e-4e18-ad0d-9372ddc39e9f