High bandwidth usage; Xbox uploads lots of data

Discus and support High bandwidth usage; Xbox uploads lots of data in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; My Xbox (early gen) uploads alot of data when VIEWING online steams. Whilst using Amazon Prime it uploads over 100mb an hour. YouTube is the same. I am... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by EvylRat, Aug 10, 2019.

1. EvylRat
    EvylRat Guest

My Xbox (early gen) uploads alot of data when VIEWING online steams. Whilst using Amazon Prime it uploads over 100mb an hour. YouTube is the same. I am not broadcasting streams, nor uploading clips.

During the day the Xbox is only used for watching TV.

This week the Xbox has uploaded 5Gb.

Does anyone else have a similar experience?

:)

EvylRat, Aug 10, 2019
  2. EvylRat Win User

Thank you for the information.

I've ruled out game clips and cloud saves. I guess I need to try Prime on a non Xbox device to see if the same ratio of Download/Upload is present. And then maybe just try a normal download to see if it's just attributed to watching streams.
  3. Rob the Weeb Win User

If this usage is from amazon I'm unsure what information they are gathering. What I do know is that when you're streaming you are also uploading bits of data like browsing and streaming history. What Amazon or any other stream service ex. netflix, youtube
    or hulu does with this information I'm uncertain. I'm also unsure if its P2P, this is just my insight and knowledge on the matter. Your Xbox is also uploading data to the cloud as well that is using a small bit of data.

Apologies if I wasn't able to 100% answer your question
  4. EvylRat Win User

I can appreciate a lot of bandwidth used for steaming. Approx. 10 hours today has consumed nearly 24gb (22.7gb DOWN / 1.3gb UP).

My question is why the massive UPLOAD just to download / view streamed content. I'm not worried about the bandwidth used, just concerned that whist viewing streamed content the xbox appears to be uploading at a rate of 0.3mbps.

What information is it sharing? Is it some kind of P2P?
  5. Rob the Weeb Win User

But with the upload data that is being used by your xbox or any other device is always sending information over the internet. When downloading or streaming content you’re also uploading data and information to the internet. Its not close to the scale of
    what your download use is ofcourse since download speed is whats mainly relied on for streaming. Both download and upload is what is essentially factoring what your bandwidth is
  6. Rob the Weeb Win User

Hey EvylRat!

Amazon Prime Video online users approximate Prime Video will chew through 900MB per hour for SD playback, 2GB per hour for HD playback, and around 5.8GB per hour of UHD content. So
    if you are watching content close to almost 4K quality it could correlate to the data you are using so quickly in a weeks time. This would apply to most video streaming services.

If you have background downloads on as well your Xbox will be downloading updates when not operating or in the background when on. This could be what's also adding to the data usage.
    This can be changed in the system settings if you have a data cap you are worried about.
Thema:

1. High bandwidth usage; Xbox uploads lots of data - Similar Threads - High bandwidth usage

2. How do I fix high latency when everything else is really good and running well when the...

in XBoX on Consoles
    How do I fix high latency when everything else is really good and running well when the...: My xbox has been having connection issues for a while now and I have tried a lot of stuff to fix it and it isn't wifi cause my connection for upload speed and everything else is really good but...
  3. Audio stutters on Xbox Wireless Headset when high network bandwidth is being used (Xbox...

in XboX Insiders
    Audio stutters on Xbox Wireless Headset when high network bandwidth is being used (Xbox...: I just want to report an issue which is plaguing my Xbox Series X since November until today, even on latest stable/production Dashboard OS. Basically every time the console is using network...
  4. High bandwidth usage and disconnection to XBL on Series X

in XboX Networking Hardware
    High bandwidth usage and disconnection to XBL on Series X: High bandwidth usage and disconnection to XBL on Series X Hi, A Petabyte is 1,000 Terabytes. Downloading just 1 Petabyte would be impossible in a single month alone ( or indeed a decade) so 27.5...
  5. Why is my bandwidth usage so astronomically high

in XboX Networking Hardware
    Why is my bandwidth usage so astronomically high: Why is my bandwidth usage so astronomically high The historical bandwith is probably shown wrong. To get accurate numbers, i would recommend to calculate the Data use, as u see on the left side...
  6. Xbox One Bandwidth Usage is too High. (thousands of TBs)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One Bandwidth Usage is too High. (thousands of TBs): Hello, I was checking the Bandwidth usage to see how much data have my console been using and it's showing that it's using thousands of TBs. How is it even possible?, My router doesn't show me...
  7. Video Bandwidth Problem - But Passed "Very High" speed test

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Video Bandwidth Problem - But Passed "Very High" speed test: I have my PC and XBOX on a wired GigaByte connection and my PC Win 10 XBox App passed all connection test up to "Very High" using the latest XBOX APP Version "14.something.something.something" - I...
  8. Fallout 4 high internet/bandwidth use?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Fallout 4 high internet/bandwidth use?: So I've been playing Fallout 4 for the last couple of days and I've noticed that my modem usage LED has been going nuts so to speak. It's constantly showing usage. I'm new to the XBox1, 360 for...
  9. Slow log-on, slow game load and high use of bandwidth

in XBoX on Consoles
    Slow log-on, slow game load and high use of bandwidth: Just bought an xbox one. Lots of great stuff but some issues. 1 I have Hughes net and have 100gb day and another 100 gbs night. The other night when no one was on, the xbox used up 69 of the...
  10. Bandwidth too high.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Bandwidth too high.: So I have been having issues the last few months with my internet usage suddenly becoming extremely high and exceeding our bandwidth limit. Today I have been having trouble with downloading...