Help - Xbox One Turning Itself Off

Discus and support Help - Xbox One Turning Itself Off in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hey everyone, I have an issue with my Xbox One and I thought I'd post here to see if there's any fixes I can try before I request a repair. I've had... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by OzzyOsbong, Oct 14, 2017.

1. OzzyOsbong
    OzzyOsbong Guest

Hey everyone,

I have an issue with my Xbox One and I thought I'd post here to see if there's any fixes I can try before I request a repair. I've had my Xbox One for about a year, maybe less and it just keeps turning itself off - usually during the start up phase or when
    I open an app such as Netflix or Youtube. My friend who had this happen to his xbox tried performing a hard reset and my xbox turned itself off while I was asjusting the settings after it had reset. I've heard of this happening to others but I can't seem to
    find a way to fix it in other forums. According to some things I've read, this might be a software issue, but the problems only been happening since I got back from holiday a few weeks ago and my xbox seems to have collected a fair amount of dust while I was
    away. If there are any suggestions on how to fix this, I would be very appreciative - I don't really have the money to get it repaired, I was lucky enough to win my xbox in a competition or I wouldn't have been able to afford it either.

Thank you in advance.

:)

OzzyOsbong, Oct 14, 2017
  2. The Remander
    The Remander Guest
    XBox One Turning Itself Off

Update: Restored the Xbox to factory default (full clear), and that failed to resolve the issue.

The Remander, Oct 15, 2017
  3. The Remander
    The Remander Guest
    XBox One Turning Itself Off

Just to be clear, this is not an overheat issue (can happen after hours on or after just powering it up, my XBox is well-ventilated, and I have never received an overheat warning), nor is it related to the power supply (recently bought and plugged in a new
    OEM power supply and it still happened). The shutdown I'm experiencing is pretty specific and I haven't been able to find a description exactly like it anywhere, despite extensive searching. I'll try and be as detailed as possible.

If I am playing a game (or using an app) and switch to second game (or app), it will begin to start up and the XBox will then completely power off. It doesn't happen every time, though. In some cases, if I manually quit the first game, wait a couple minutes,
    then start the second, it will be OK. Still, there are certain games, like Forza Horizon 2, that seem to require that I completely power off the XBox before I can switch to another game, or else a shut down will occur. This issue seems to be happening more
    frequently of late, so I suspect the underlying problem is worsening.

Games or apps do not actually shut down during use, but I did have one instance last night (only time this has happened) where I opened a movie on Netflix, paused it for several minutes to take a phone call, then resumed play only to have the XBox shut off.
    All other instances have been as described in the preceding paragraph.

When a shut down like this occurs, I have to either wait several minutes or unplug the power supply for a minute in order to get the XBox to turn back on. If I push the X button on the console without doing so, it will try and start up and immediately shut
    down again.

I have tried the usual approaches to troubleshooting this sort of thing: check for overheating (negative), power cycle by holding the X button for 8-10 seconds until the console shuts down and/or unplugging the console and power brick for a minute or so
    (doesn't seem to help), clear the cache (doesn't seem to help). Also, the XBox is set to never turn off after inactivity (not that this should be a factor).

I'm beginning to think there's an issue with my OS, as the scenario doesn't really suggest a hardware problem, so I've considered a factory reset. I have all my games on an external drive, so wouldn't be that tough to do. I thought I would post here for
    other potential ideas first.

My system setup:

XBox One (not an S) purchased December 2015

Wired connection through Netgear WNDR4500v2 router

1 TB external hard drive for all games

HDMI connection through Sony receiver to 1080p projector

Thanks in advance for any advice!

The Remander, Oct 15, 2017
  4. Zatomas Win User

Xbox One is turning itself off?

Hi ShanePorter1,

Have you checked if your Xbox overheats? Take a look here: https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/console-turns-off-unexpectedly

Hope this helps!
  5. Danny Callaghan Win User

Xbox one turn itself off

Hi there Colganator,

I can totally understand where your coming from. It happened to me on Xbox one launch week. I had to get my console sent off for repair, waited 6 weeks for a repair replacement. It can be very difficult to swallow as you just want to game now!! At least
    that's how i felt..

The best bit of advice i can give you is to call the xbox service centre and get the replacement processed and also speak to customer service about your downtime on live up to now and your downtime over the period of time your going to be out of action for.
    I'm sure if you speak to them they will help you out with this loss of time on live.

The way to look at it is at least it'll be fixed in 4-6 weeks and you wont have to come on here again frustrated with your situation.

I know my advice won't help you but i hope you find it in someway helpful.

Goodluck Gamer! :)
  6. COLGANATOR 91 Win User

Xbox one turn itself off

To update this, i sent the console for repair, to Germany it came back quickly.

worked for a couple of days now it has broken AGAIN. same problem as before, it needs an update and before i can even download the update it switches itself off.

I have probably used the console around 15-20 hours since it broke again.

I just bought the walking dead pt1 and advanced warfare and now im so peed off...
  7. Enemy Misery Win User

Hi, you can check if your console is not overheated in the same way, change the place of the electric current and that it is not in a place without ventilation, I hope this helps.
  8. DeAndreMulrain Win User

My Xbox one keeps shutting off by itself
Thema:

1. Help - Xbox One Turning Itself Off - Similar Threads - Help Turning Itself

2. Need help with the console I have just bought w/c is pre owned. I turned it on , shows me a...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Need help with the console I have just bought w/c is pre owned. I turned it on , shows me a...: Need help with the console I have just bought w/c is pre owned. I turned it on , shows me a controller highlighting to press Xbox logo, and it won't stop flashing can someone help me with that and...
  3. Monitor turning on but screen is black. Any Help?

in XBoX on Windows
    Monitor turning on but screen is black. Any Help?: So i have a KOORUI 24 inch 165 hz monitor I had just recently bought and everything has been perfect, it was great up until now. I have both and xbox and a pc and the monitor does not work on...
  4. Please help.. I'd turned cross play option off on my xbox I've tried to turn them back on...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Please help.. I'd turned cross play option off on my xbox I've tried to turn them back on...: Hi all hopefully someone can help I'd turned cross play option off in my xbox settings so I'd only play with xbox users but now when I try to turn it back on again its saying it on I.e I can play...
  5. My Xbox keeps turning off only while in a game plays movies on disk fine any help is...

in XBoX on Windows
    My Xbox keeps turning off only while in a game plays movies on disk fine any help is...: My Xbox continuesly shuts off while playing any game but when I put a movie in it’s fine and plays it checked the power and it’s fine and fan works properly any help is appreciated thanks I’m...
  6. I need help my Xbox One S has been weird I turn it on the it turns it self off can someone help

in XBoX on Consoles
    I need help my Xbox One S has been weird I turn it on the it turns it self off can someone help: And when I would try a different outlet, it will do the same thing in the when I will try different power cord, it would do the same thing, and I don't really know what to do. I'm kind of scared...
  7. My pc keep restarting after I turned it on can you please help me

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My pc keep restarting after I turned it on can you please help me: My pc keep restarting after I turned it on can you please help me 134abc9f-19e8-4d0e-8938-e1d5b1a7c9fe
  8. Xbox X Turns on But no Picture to Screen (HELP)

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox X Turns on But no Picture to Screen (HELP): it has been opened. Had a diagnostic check done and the technician said the motherboard or hard drive needed to be fixed/replaced but didn't have the parts to repair I’m asking if anyone else has...
  9. Can you help me with getting child mode turned off my minecraft account because it's been...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Can you help me with getting child mode turned off my minecraft account because it's been...: My old microsoft account was "*** Die E-Mail-Adresse wurde aus Datenschutzgründen entfernt. ***" but after it was changed I was unable to log back in. Since my minecraft account was connected to...
  10. Can you help me fix my Xbox one x from going black screen offer I turn it on

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can you help me fix my Xbox one x from going black screen offer I turn it on: I turn on my Xbox one x and I get the green Xbox animation but after that the screen goes black. e3fdd936-8226-4d8b-bfae-48ffde4747e7