Help, my PC keeps crashing unpredictably while gaming!

Discus and support Help, my PC keeps crashing unpredictably while gaming! in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Hi there! :) So I have a Lenovo Legion Y540, and it works fine while I work, no issues at all. However, for the last week or so, when I try to game... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Kat Dee, Jul 5, 2022.

1. Kat Dee
    Kat Dee Guest

Hi there! Help, my PC keeps crashing unpredictably while gaming! :)

So I have a Lenovo Legion Y540, and it works fine while I work, no issues at all. However, for the last week or so, when I try to game after work, my PC will just crash mid-game, without warning. This is a new issue for me and I haven't had issues with my games crashing before. There haven't been any error messages when the games crash, just crash to desktop - one time my whole PC crashed. It also happens on multiple games I play, so not just isolated to one game.

It's been super frustrating so I have tried a lot of trouble-shooting. I re-installed Windows as a last resort and still my games were crashing after re-install. Drivers are all updated, all Windows updates done, bios updates done, virus check done, no results with stress test. Temperature is around 90 degrees C after crash.

Below are images from the crashes I experienced last night - taken from Event Viewer.

If anybody has any experience with this, I'd be really grateful for your expertise.

Thanks!

Help, my PC keeps crashing unpredictably while gaming! [​IMG]

Help, my PC keeps crashing unpredictably while gaming! [​IMG]

:)

Kat Dee, Jul 5, 2022
  2. Kat Dee Win User

Okay no problem, thanks for letting me know! I will try dig a little deeper into the issue and see what others have to say around whether playing multiplayer makes the problem worse.

I did try that already because I wanted to update my GPU driver but GeForce Experience just wasn't letting me. I updated the drivers manually through Nvidia's website then downloaded GeForce Experience again so that I can see when the latest drivers are available. The issue with GeForce Experience started a few months ago and uninstalling and reinstalling the app didn't solve the issue. I only recently was able to get the latest GPU driver updates for my PC and now I am wondering if the update is what is causing the crash because, as far as I can remember, there were no crashes at all until I updated my drivers. Is there something I can do to double-check that my drivers aren't corrupted somehow?

Yes, my laptop has never given me issues like this before, it's always been super reliable and I can play most games without any issues. It's going on 2 weeks now. I think the issue started around the 22nd June. This was around the time I downloaded the GPU driver. I honestly can't remember if I updated the driver before the crash started happening or after the crash started happening but I feel there is a link between the two for sure.
  3. Kat Dee Win User

Thanks, at least we can rule that out!

I tried all the steps that you provided and played Fall Guys and Fortnite to test out whether the laptop will crash. All was going well and I actually thought the issue was sorted :) but then I tried playing Nioh and the game crashed twice. No error messages, like before. I attached a screenshot of the crash info from the Event Viewer below and it's the same exception code as before.

[​IMG]

I really appreciate all your help so far and if there is anything else you could recommend that I try, I would really appreciate you letting me know.

Thanks again!
  4. Lucas Lauer Win User

When your whole PC crashed, did it show you any message or error code? Did it show you the blue screen of death?

The noise your laptop made was a fan noise?

Let's test your RAM to see if it is not having any errors:

Go to Start > Search and click on Windows Memory Diagnostic. Select "Restart now and check for problems." Once restarted, wait for the result message.

Let me know how it goes, please.
  5. Lucas Lauer Win User

Hello, Kat. Thanks for reaching out! My name is Lucas. I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user just like you. I'll be happy to assist you today.

This error code "0xc0000005" can be caused by several factors. So we will need to do some troubleshooting here, my friend. Please bear with me that we will get this sorted out.

Would you please tell me if your laptop runs Windows 10 or 11?

Also, do you use any software to update your drivers?

In the meantime, please use the System File Checker and DISM to repair broken, corrupted or missing system files. I know you just reinstalled Windows, but just to be sure:

Go to Start > Search for Command Prompt > Right Click > Run as Administrator. Run one command at a time:

sfc /scannow

chkdsk /r

chkdsk /f

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Chkdsk may ask you to restart your computer in order to be able to run. If that's the case, please restart your computer when you can and it will run before Windows starts.

Waiting for your kind reply.
  6. Kat Dee Win User

Hi Lucas,

I hope that you had a lovely weekend!

Thanks for sharing this information with me regarding the unresolved issue with Unity games. This might explain why I am able to play some times without any issues, while other times, the crash happens. Do you know if playing multiplayer exacerbates the issue at all because my game tends to crash more when I play with friends?

Yes the Nioh crash has been very frustrating, I have been playing the same level coming up to 10 times trying to finish it before the game crashes but with no luck. Do you think these crashes are related to the games themselves or my PC? The first time I experienced the crash I was playing Fortnite and I haven't had a crash (knock on wood) in Fortnite since you have been helping me.

Regarding my drivers, on the morning I played last, there was an Nvidia driver update that I installed before gaming, hoping that this would solve all the issues I have been having these last 2 weeks. My game still ended up crashing and that's when I sent through my last response to you.

On that note, I have been having issues with my Nvidia drivers updating. I usually update via the Geforce Experience app but recently, I have been unable to do so. The app will inform me of a new driver update, I will then download the update and every time it says that the download failed. I will then have to go directly and download any driver updates via Nvidias website.

I just wonder whether this has something to do with the crashes but it may be completely unrelated. I am pretty clueless at this point so maybe you could tell me if this theory has any substance to it.

Thanks again for all your help, it really means a lot!
Thema:

1. Help, my PC keeps crashing unpredictably while gaming! - Similar Threads - Help keeps crashing

2. Xbox button keeps spamming can I get help

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox button keeps spamming can I get help: My Xbox one pair button keeps thinking I’m pressing it and keeps making the beeping noise is there anyway to fix it 6cb6a467-2a1b-4e21-a04e-95ea47f2e493
  3. i keep getting exit code 1. i already tried things off a forum but nothing. Please help

in XBoX Games and Apps
    i keep getting exit code 1. i already tried things off a forum but nothing. Please help: i cant use a image becuase it doesn't load. the error is just 1 3c61ebde-df90-4761-8b33-1670a14a718e
  4. I need help fixing this issue it keeps happening with all my games the shadows look...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I need help fixing this issue it keeps happening with all my games the shadows look...: [img] can you help fix this problem 623e46f1-5832-4041-b00b-258e09110c9c
  5. Help needed. I'm on xbox s no disc port and I keep getting Disc read error help

in XBoX Accessibility
    Help needed. I'm on xbox s no disc port and I keep getting Disc read error help: I'm on xbox s and keep getting disc read error how can I fix it please.. 2ef1ae2b-2ea1-417f-8ae1-fa8377e2729f
  6. My Xbox keeps turning off only while in a game plays movies on disk fine any help is...

in XBoX on Windows
    My Xbox keeps turning off only while in a game plays movies on disk fine any help is...: My Xbox continuesly shuts off while playing any game but when I put a movie in it’s fine and plays it checked the power and it’s fine and fan works properly any help is appreciated thanks I’m...
  7. Help Xbox App deleted my Starfield install and keeps trying to redownload the entire 120gb...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Help Xbox App deleted my Starfield install and keeps trying to redownload the entire 120gb...: Trying to move my starfield install to a different drive deleted the entire games! I though luck was on my side because I made 3 backup of the files anticipating how trash the xbox app on pc is....
  8. Hi all. I just tried to launch Minecraft on my laptop but it keeps crashing. Can anyone help?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Hi all. I just tried to launch Minecraft on my laptop but it keeps crashing. Can anyone help?: Hi all. I’ve tried to launch Minecraft on my laptop but it keeps crashing. Can anyone help? Thanks. Stv bcc75a49-e175-4373-9ed3-8b3db3bbee4d
  9. Hi could you help please zoo tycoon rescue challenge keeps crashing

in XBoX Accessibility
    Hi could you help please zoo tycoon rescue challenge keeps crashing: Hi every time I play rescue ranger challenge it crashed before the challenge ends. f62e7a3b-f1d6-4e5a-a285-11c00ddbad71
  10. Minecraft legends on PC keeps crashing. Can't even start a game. Help!

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Minecraft legends on PC keeps crashing. Can't even start a game. Help!: Can't start a game in minecraft legends for pc. Crashes immediately after intro screen. Hear a message about disconnection. Help! Have tried various troubleshooting methods already....