HDR vs HDR10 vs Dolby Digital vs VRR settings. What’s best for my Sony tv model x85k?

Discus and support HDR vs HDR10 vs Dolby Digital vs VRR settings. What’s best for my Sony tv model x85k? in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; Hello. I’m new to all of this and I’m just curious about which setting looks and functions the best on the Xbox series X. Or does 4k 120 suffice well... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by Alec Boswell, Jan 11, 2023.

1. Alec Boswell
    Alec Boswell Guest

HDR vs HDR10 vs Dolby Digital vs VRR settings. What’s best for my Sony tv model x85k?

Hello. I’m new to all of this and I’m just curious about which setting looks and functions the best on the Xbox series X. Or does 4k 120 suffice well enough? I definitely need help and direction. Thanks to anyone who can help!

:)

Alec Boswell, Jan 11, 2023
  2. Nursemorph Win User

Personally, I just set my Xbox up and used whatever it recommended. This article is rather comprehensive on HDR vs HDR10+ vs Dolby Vision:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/hdr10-vs-dolby-vision

VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) should be enabled as it stops screen tearing and stuttering.

As to 120Hz, that depends on the game...most games don't have a 120fps option when used on Xbox so the 120Hz is irrelevant. I initially had my Series X set for 120Hz when I first got it, despite the main game I played (Forza Horizon 5) being limited to 60fps...when I swtiched the TV to 60Hz as I added a capture card which only supports 60, it made no visible difference. You can always experiment with it...try games with it set at 120Hz and 60Hz, try changing in-game options etc
  3. Alec Boswell Win User

Here is an updated on what I have discovered today. The tv has 3 different setting for hdmi input. Enhanced, enhanced Dolby Vision, and enhanced vrr. On vrr it locks the tv down to game mode and takes away screen setting. On DV the picture looks amazing but it lags the joysticks on the Xbox. Playing Ace Combat 7 was going poorly lol. So I reset up the tv using the configuration auto thing that it has and it wants to be put on normal 4k enhanced hdmi setting. So with that and HDR10 it looks practically the same as DV but the lag is gone. All perfect. So that’s where I left it. Also all of the settings on the Xbox are turned on that can be atm.
  4. AquarrzSudnnym Win User

Xbox One S 4K

I am very close to believing that and being very upset at the same time. I bought this tv because it is a 4K UHD tv. Lol
    It wasn't till after I bought my 4K UHD TV did I realise something was missing in the specs. Check this search HDR vs HDR10 vs HDR10+
  5. BrianLeG Win User

4K TV 120HZ vs 60HZ for Gaming.

Frame rate(fps) and Hz are two different things! See https://www.cnet.com/news/ultra-hd-4k-tv-refresh-rates/ . It will explain well!

Make sure your 4K TV has HDR10! That is the standard for Xbox One X! Some have HDR, but use lower/old standard(HDR8). Dolby Vision has their own(HDR12)-HDR10+2(metadata), better but DV charges a fee! See...

https://www.cnet.com/news/hdr10-vs-dolby-vision-vs-hlg-how-do-hdr-formats-compare/

FYI!

I was looking at Samsung MU6300 until I saw above link. Now with prices dropping for 4KTV's I went with MU8000!!! LOVE IT!!! (looked at Sony XBR900E-has Dolby Vision)
  6. Jason of Oz Win User

Xbox Games HDR Dolby Vision

Out of curiosity, what do you think looks better with HDR vs Dolby Vision?

DV is a proprietary HDR format, technically superior to HDR10 and HDR10+ in every way.

Not saying you're wrong: looking better is a pretty subjective thing, after all, but I'd like to check-out some examples if you can throw them my way.

Cheers,
    Jason
Thema:

1. HDR vs HDR10 vs Dolby Digital vs VRR settings. What’s best for my Sony tv model x85k? - Similar Threads - HDR HDR10 Dolby

2. Xbox keeps disconnecting from tv when opening hdr games?

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox keeps disconnecting from tv when opening hdr games?: Just went out and bought a 120hz 4k tv with the purpose for gaming, but EVERY game i open immediately forces my tv to say “lost signal” but then i can hit the home button and go back and it...
  3. Why has my HDR stopped working just overnight when nothing has changed?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why has my HDR stopped working just overnight when nothing has changed?: Curious as to why my HDR has seemed to just quit out of nowhere. When starting up any game, the screen washes out and becomes overly dim. Nothing in my TV settings or series x settings has...
  4. Auto hdr used to work now it doesnt

in XBoX on Consoles
    Auto hdr used to work now it doesnt: So before it was automatically on and that worked but then i went thru all my settings to turn on 120 fps om 1080 and i didn’t like how it looked so i went back and undid all the changes but now...
  5. My tv full hd display and HDR10 supported but Im not able to enable HDR Game Calibration

in XBoX on Consoles
    My tv full hd display and HDR10 supported but Im not able to enable HDR Game Calibration: *** Die E-Mail-Adresse wurde aus Datenschutzgründen entfernt. *** 451fa710-7881-49b0-a31f-025876a88a5d
  6. Greyed out HDR10 and Auto HDR

in XBoX on Consoles
    Greyed out HDR10 and Auto HDR: Hello guys,I just recently bought the xbox series s and the games seemed too blurry for me I checked the settings and at the “vide modes” menu the HDR options were all greyed out I been searching...
  7. Can't enable Auto HDR/HDR10 video setting

in XboX Insiders
    Can't enable Auto HDR/HDR10 video setting: Is this a known reported issue? TV - LG UN6970 (supports HDR10, HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color enabled for HDMI input) AV Receiver - Sony STR-DH790 (supports HDR pass through, amp HDMI set to...
  8. Samsung HG40EA790MS: Our TV is jut HDR, while Xbox One X requires HDR10

in XBoX TV Hardware
    Samsung HG40EA790MS: Our TV is jut HDR, while Xbox One X requires HDR10: Samsung (Televisions) HG40EA790MS: Our TV is jut HDR, while Xbox One X requires HDR10 You can always use xbox one x in any tv, HDR10 is not a requirement you can use the HDR normal and you still...
  9. Samsung HG40EA790MS: HDR ready? Yes HDR10 ready? No

in XBoX TV Hardware
    Samsung HG40EA790MS: HDR ready? Yes HDR10 ready? No: Samsung (Televisions) HG40EA790MS: HDR ready? Yes HDR10 ready? No November 7th was meant to be a good day for me. I even booked a day off work. Planned in advance and a few months ago purchased a...
  10. Epson 5040UB : Your TV setup doesn't support HDR10 for gaming. Games won't be shown in HDR

in XBoX on Consoles
    Epson 5040UB : Your TV setup doesn't support HDR10 for gaming. Games won't be shown in HDR: Hi, I received my new Xbox One X today but found out that the Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5040UB is not being recognized by XBOX as a compatible device that can run HDR10 gaming. But, this...