HD Blu-ray 24Hz playback Issues- HD vs UHD

Discus and support HD Blu-ray 24Hz playback Issues- HD vs UHD in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; So I noticed an issue with 24z playback on my Xbox One S (2019 version) during HD Blu-ray playback. What I was noticing was the video playback would... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by PFeezzy, Nov 8, 2021.

1. PFeezzy
    PFeezzy Guest

So I noticed an issue with 24z playback on my Xbox One S (2019 version) during HD Blu-ray playback. What I was noticing was the video playback would freeze for a quick second every 25ish seconds. So I dug a little deeper into my TV's menus and found out the Xbox is playing my HD Blu-rays at 23.XX FPS but outputting a 60Hz video signal over HDMI even though 24Hz is selected in the video modes. However, when I play a UHD Blu-ray, it will play at 23.XX FPS and the Xbox will output a 24Hz signal as they should. After playing around with the various pulldowns and checkboxes in the Xbox settings, I've discovered the only way to playback 24Hz video with HD Blu-ray discs is if I uncheck "Allow 4K" in the video modes. This is quite disappointing and I do believe this was not an issue in the past as I have used calibration discs to dial in audio to the frame rate. Is this a known issue or is there is a solution? If not, I'd like this to be elevated. This is my primary media player for HD and UHD Blu-ray media, which I'm sure is the same for many.

:)

PFeezzy, Nov 8, 2021
  2. SwordofWhedon Win User

This is educated speculation

The scaler in the Xbox may only operate at 60hz. Your TV already has a scaler, no need to have the Xbox do it for you, so leaving “allow 4K” unchecked shouldn’t be an issue
  3. Default_570 Win User

Most who have Xbox Series S are using HDTV rather than 4K as the console is not super powerful like the Series X

get over to xbox.com and ask them about BD playback problems
  4. PFeezzy Win User

This is educated speculation

The scaler in the Xbox may only operate at 60hz. Your TV already has a scaler, no need to have the Xbox do it for you, so leaving “allow 4K” unchecked shouldn’t be an issue
    I hear that. However, “allow 4K” is required to playback UHD Blu-ray Discs. Otherwise, it will play a UHD discs as HD.

Setting the display resolution to 1080p stops the upscaling and will automatically switch to 4K if the content is native 4K. But HD content still only plays at 60Hz no matter the display resolution setting.
  5. IceStorm III Win User

Will the HD DVD xbox360 drive work on the X1?

[quote user="FullHornet"]It makes absolutely no sense why an Xbox One would play DVDs and Blu-Ray's and not play HD DVDs.[/quote]HD DVD and Blu-ray are formatted differently on the disc. Blu-ray players cannot read HD DVDs and vice versa. The exception being
    multi-format drives designed to read both (I have two).

Beyond the physical inability to read an HD DVD in a Blu-ray drive, there's the issue of software. HDi Interactive Format was the standard used to create HD DVD menus and other content on-disc outside of the actual movie files. Blu-ray uses scripts and Java.
    Unless playback software can understand HDi Interactive Format, HD DVD menus won't work and the disc won't play.

If it was possible for Blu-ray players to play HD DVD, people wouldn't be holding onto HD DVD drives.
  6. Xenokai Win User

Anyone else notice a issue with DVD playback?

Eviltedi this is about DVD playback. I believe the 24hz setting is only for blu rays.
Thema:

1. HD Blu-ray 24Hz playback Issues- HD vs UHD - Similar Threads - Blu ray 24Hz

2. Blu-Ray Player won't install from Microsoft Store on Xbox Series X.

in XBoX on Windows
    Blu-Ray Player won't install from Microsoft Store on Xbox Series X.: I tried downloading the Blu-Ray Player from the Microsoft Store, and for some reason, it refuses to actually download. It remains stuck at 0% despite me having left it to download overnight in...
  3. Xbox series X blu ray playback

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox series X blu ray playback: Xbox series X blu ray playback randomly zooms in and out slightly while playing a movie. Its very sporadic. Xbox is up to date, discs are immaculate, no fingerprints, scratches, etc. I'm re...
  4. Does the Xbox series x have Dolby vision playback support for 4k blu ray discs ?

in XBoX on Windows
    Does the Xbox series x have Dolby vision playback support for 4k blu ray discs ?: Does the Xbox series x support Dolby vision playback for the 4k blu ray disc movies ? not streaming capability I seem to be able to activate HDR but not Dolby vision for movie discs , is there a...
  5. Can a xbox one play dvd/ blu-rays from any region

in XBoX on Windows
    Can a xbox one play dvd/ blu-rays from any region: So i read somewhere that xbox ones can play games from any region. But is it the same for dvd’s e7f8195f-ca5b-4baa-96f7-60af7d492b96
  6. Blu-ray player wouldn't install, factory reset, now nothing will

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Blu-ray player wouldn't install, factory reset, now nothing will: I was trying to watch a blu-ray movie and it told me to install but just sat there at 0.0b. I factory reset my console per discussions on this thread, now it still won't install the blu-ray...
  7. Series X only playing certain Blu Ray discs

in XBoX on Windows
    Series X only playing certain Blu Ray discs: I am talking specifically about a brand new blu ray box set of The Pacific. Discs 1,3 and 5 work ok but discs 2 and 3 dont,i load in the disc,the screen goes black and stays black....nothing. Ive...
  8. I put a dvd in my series x and controller wont work with blu ray disk player

in XBoX on Consoles
    I put a dvd in my series x and controller wont work with blu ray disk player: updated everything my series x is up to date i launch blu ray disc player and on dvd menu i cant scroll to anything like for instance an 90s dvd you have dvd menu scenes features etc or most...
  9. XSX: Blu-ray playback does not avtivate 24Hz mode

in XboX Insiders
    XSX: Blu-ray playback does not avtivate 24Hz mode: Series X on skip-ahead: I activated "Enable 24Hz" in the display settings and also get "Your TV supports 4k 10-bit at 24Hz" on the "4k TV details" page. But trying to play a Blu-ray movie the...
  10. x box one x and optoma uhd65 projector blu ray problem 24hz

in XBoX on Consoles
    x box one x and optoma uhd65 projector blu ray problem 24hz: HI I have problem with x box one x and optoma uhd65 projector.Blu ray discs wont output right when 24hz setting is on. It is always outputting rgb instead of ycbcr and causing problems with sync....