Hard drive unformatted?

Discus and support Hard drive unformatted? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; This morning, when I went to turn on my XBox 360, it asked to perform a system update, telling me I couldn't use XBox Live until I do, all that jazz.... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by zavisimochik, Jan 5, 2014.

1. zavisimochik
    zavisimochik Guest

Hard drive unformatted?

This morning, when I went to turn on my XBox 360, it asked to perform a system update, telling me I couldn't use XBox Live until I do, all that jazz. So I went ahead and told it to perform the update, and then it spontaneously restarted. Then when I turned
    it back on, it just spun the loading wheel for a long time, so I turned it off, unplugged it, and plugged it back in. When I turned it back on, it once again asked to perform the update, but then told me I didn't have enough storage space. When I went to
    check the hard drive, it said "unformatted."

Now I haven't done anything to the hard drive since I got the console. So what could have happened to it, and how do I get the functionality back without reformatting the hard drive and losing all my game saves? I've taken good care of my console since
    I got it, and it's rather upsetting to have this happen. :-(

:)

zavisimochik, Jan 5, 2014
  2. louisg
    louisg Guest
    louisg, Jan 5, 2014
  3. turk3y
    turk3y Guest
    turk3y, Jan 5, 2014
  4. Hard drive unformatted?

Hey there

Welcome to the forums

After looking on xbox.com, I found an article regarding the memory unit and the Xbox not seeing it. However it was the only one I could find that best fits the issue you are having. Please click onto the link bellow, and it should take you there.

support.xbox.com/.../hard-drive

Again, hope the article helps you

Regards,

Nathan Roberts (SunkNath), Jan 5, 2014
  5. TROJANchamp1
    TROJANchamp1 Guest
    These articles are useless! Fix this problem with this update that corrupted our hard drives! We have a lot of game that we have played for downloaded to our hardrive!!

TROJANchamp1, Jan 5, 2014
  6. Hey there

Thanks for replying

I am only a community member, not a Microsoft employee. However I have phoned xbox support and they are now fully aware of the issue you are having with the system update. I can only recommend re downloading the games again by following the instructions
    within this article.

support.xbox.com/.../redownload-content

Like I have said, I am only a community member like your self , and am always willing to help you and other gamers. However as for fixing issues, I can not.

Regards,

Nathan Roberts (SunkNath), Jan 5, 2014
  7. That is understandable Suknath, and im sure some of us appreciate that at least you called microsoft to make them aware of the issue. Please understand we're frustrated because we're basically helpless and all we've really heard from Msoft is "either reformat
    or buy a new one". This to us, as loyal consumers, is unacceptable.

Is there a way we can some kind of official ticket thread or communication with microsoft directly regarding the issue? Perhaps there is a better way we can relay to Msoft that this is a big issue and avoid complaining to ambassadors who cant do much to
    assist us.

johannasceasara, Jan 6, 2014
  8. Hard drive unformatted?

There are a number of us with the same issue. It has been suggested to me to use a data transfer cable to copy the data over to another hard drive. You might want to try that to get your game saves back.

Good luck! I'm taking my hard drive into the Microsoft Store to see if they can help.

David RomanDaniels, Jan 6, 2014
  9. Hey there

I spoke with someone from Xbox Support.

They have some more things for you to try your self. Could you please unplug your Xbox 360 and everything that is connected to it. After you have done this, you will need to inject the Hard Drive for the console. For help with this, please follow the instructions
    within the article bellow.

support.xbox.com/.../add-remove-hard-drive

After you have done this, please plug everything back into your Xbox 360. Plug everything back in, including your network cables. Then start it up again. After you have done this, you should then see the Hard Drive back in the Storage area, and it should
    be formatted back to the Xbox 360.

All of this information has been handed down from phone support, and they say it should work with this. However if it doesn't work, please feel free to ring support your self or keep posted to the forums for more troubleshooting steps.

Please post back any results back from this step. I hope this helps you,

Regards,

Nathan Roberts (SunkNath), Jan 6, 2014
  10. Update! The people at the Microsoft Store couldn't help either. They did try a good number of things including connecting up to their system and even just coping the data off the drive over.

I had to reformat my drive. The good news is it works fine. The bad news is yes, I lost a whole bunch of stuff.

David RomanDaniels, Jan 8, 2014
  11. Hey there

Thanks for the update.

That was my main worry, however you can download the games back to your Hard Drive by going into your recent downloads, or by going onto the game in the Market Place.

Tip: I had data backed up on the cloud, and on a USB. I would recommend doing this,incase this happens again. Also, your stats on the games might still be there, like your COD level and classes. As this is stored on their servers. Not your Xbox Hard Drive.
    So you might have everything there from Multiplayer.

Sorry I could not help further. It looks like its just re format the drive.

Regards,

Nathan Roberts (SunkNath), Jan 8, 2014
  12. UncrossedMat
    UncrossedMat Guest
    hi i have the same problem and i just want to ask a question. If i format my HD will i be able to redownload everything i previously had? Including games bought on xbox marketplace and season passes. Also i play minecraft and will the worlds be redownloaded.
    Will Absolutley everything be able to be redownloaded ?

UncrossedMat, Aug 2, 2014
  13. Hard drive unformatted?

Hey there UncrossedMat

Welcome to the Xbox Live Forums

Once you have re formatted your Xbox 360 hard drive, you will be able to download all of your owned games and content back onto it. However, for your game saves, you can not re download your game saves unless you have got them backed up on a USB stick or
    on a different storage device such as your consoles memory.

As far as your Xbox Music and Video passes, you should be able to re download them by using the recent purchase history and "My Collection" feature on there. Basically, any content you have bought on Xbox Live, Xbox Music and Xbox Video. You can re download
    back onto your Xbox. Games you have got with Games with Gold. You may not be able to download back onto your Xbox, however you could always try downloading it and see what it says.

I hope this has helped you with your question. If you have any other questions or would like any help, please create a new thread on the Xbox Live forums where the community can best assist you (Members Like you and me)

Regards,

Nathan Roberts (SunkNath), Aug 2, 2014
  14. Xionation
    Xionation Guest
    I have recently had this same problem with my 360S 320GBP hard drive. Has there been a solution found?

Xionation, Aug 9, 2014
  15. Xionation
    Xionation Guest
    My happened just all of a sudden. Got kidded off the internet. Got back online. Than is started with you need an update and all that. Went to check the hard drive and it said "unformatted".

Xionation, Oct 31, 2018
  16. EggsBoxJuan Win User

Xbox 360 Elite Hard Drive error?

Hi, as the hard drive is showing as unformatted there's little you can do but try to format it. The hard drive may not format or format but then become unformatted again which would indicate a major problem with the hard drive.
  17. Instinct Kreate Win User

My Hard-Drive is "Unformatted?"

Edit: Xbox hard-drive is unformatted
  18. Mister Cerb Win User

brak połonczenia z xbox live [Translation: No xbox live połonczenia]

Hey there Fir! Are you saying that your hard drive is unformatted? When you go to System, then Storage does your Hard Drive read as unformatted? I'm trying to make sure I understand the situation.
  19. HassanB Win User

Unformatted hdd

Once a hard drive is coming up as "unformatted" that means that the Xbox 360 can no longer read the data that's on that hard drive.

You can try to remove the hard drive and place it back in the console and see if it makes any sort of difference. If it doesn't then that means that the data is already gone as there's no way to read data that's coming up are "unformatted" on a hard drive.

You'd need to format that hard drive in order for it to be readable again. If this happens again, it's likely an issue with the hard drive and it would need to be replaced.
  20. Iwan Dawson Win User

Update Failed PLEASE HELP! 3F4B Error Code

My hard-drive is in the console and i can access all the games files and apps etc. But as you said it says their is no hard-drive in the console. I dont think it says Unformatted anywhere when i go into Settings>System>Storage i cant find where is says Formatted/Unformatted
    it so im guessing it isnt unformatted.
Thema:

Hard drive unformatted?

1. Hard drive unformatted? - Similar Threads - Hard drive unformatted

2. How do you get game files off a xbox 360s internal hard drive with the ring of death

in XBoX on Consoles
    How do you get game files off a xbox 360s internal hard drive with the ring of death: I have an Xbox 360/s that's been to the repair shop for the ring of death and was told that it is a temporary fix. It has an internal hard drive and I would like to get the saved game files off of...
  3. I have an ssd Seagate Xbox 2TB Portable Gaming Hard Drive but it still doesn’t let me play...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I have an ssd Seagate Xbox 2TB Portable Gaming Hard Drive but it still doesn’t let me play...: I have an ssd Seagate Xbox 2TB Portable Gaming Hard Drive but it still doesn’t let me play games from my hardrive!? All I have read is that you can’t play x/a games on hdd but this one says it is...
  4. Error e106 after new hard drive on xbox one

in XBoX on Consoles
    Error e106 after new hard drive on xbox one: Error e106 after new hard drive On xbox one 4d4c522d-cbfa-4d8a-8940-95c19a5a12e7
  5. Xbox one hard drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one hard drive: I pulled out a hard drive of an Xbox one and plugged it into my Xbox one as an external and I didn't reformat it and now my Xbox turns on and off quickly. How bad did I screw it up?...
  6. I've just installed a new hard drive with all the software and files needed correctly...

in XBoX on Windows
    I've just installed a new hard drive with all the software and files needed correctly...: I've just installed a new hard drive with all the software and files needed correctly installed on Xbox went fine then when restarted it came up with a screen to put letters in the app to connect...
  7. External hard drive is confusing.

in XBoX on Consoles
    External hard drive is confusing.: So this is my first post on here and frankly I'm confused. My external hard drive isn't that old but from the very beginning of owning it, it's been weird with actually connecting to my Xbox...
  8. Hard drive space reduced after game reinstallation compared with original installation

in XBoX on Consoles
    Hard drive space reduced after game reinstallation compared with original installation: I installed two games originally, MS Flight Simulator and the last game was Starfield. My free hard drive space was around 800 GB. I reinstalled both games and the free hard drive space was around...
  9. Not being able to play games on external hard drive

in XBoX on Windows
    Not being able to play games on external hard drive: Why can’t I play games on my external hard rice fa80c9e6-2a62-4a8b-93ef-811c874bbf99
  10. Unformat external hard drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    Unformat external hard drive: I accidentally formatted my external hard drive to xbox one use. It has movie and media files on it. My PC does not recognize it now. How do I format it back to normal?...