Hard drive failed – tips for setting console back up

Discus and support Hard drive failed – tips for setting console back up in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hard drive failed. Data gone. Now I'm looking to set the console back up. It has the 4GB flash so so far I have just re-loaded my profile. Once I get... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Neuwerld, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Neuwerld
    Neuwerld Guest

Hard drive failed. Data gone.

Now I'm looking to set the console back up. It has the 4GB flash so so far I have just re-loaded my profile. Once I get a new drive, I will start re-downloading my games.
    Is this all I can do, or are there any steps I'm missing to get the best results? For example, I think I'm missing gamer pictures and avatar stuff, stuff that comes with achievements. Is there any way to recover that stuff? I can't re-get the
    achievements.

:)

Neuwerld, Dec 19, 2015
  2. kevin
    kevin Guest
    How to add or remove an Xbox 360 Hard Drive on your Xbox 360 S Console

The Xbox 360 S 250 Console includes an internal hard drive and you can easily remove or replace it. But The Xbox 360 S 4 GB console has only irremovable flash memory. You can purchase the internal hard drive separately.

How to insert a hard drive in the Xbox 360 S console

• First, turn off the console.
    • You need to position the console horizontally.
    • Look at the right side of the console. You will find the hard drive cover release near the back of the console.
    • While pulling the hard drive door open, you have to slide the release toward the front of the console.
    • Now insert the hard drive into the slot and press firmly until you hear it click.
    • Before turning on the console, you need to replace the hard disk drive cover.
    Follow the steps bellow to ensure that your console recognizes the hard drive:

• Go to Settings pressing the Guide button on your controller, and then proceed to System Settings.
    • Press Storage or Memory.
    • If the console recognizes the hard drive, it will appear in the list of Storage Devices. If it does not, you need to remove and reattach the hard drive following the steps above.

How to remove a hard drive from an Xbox 360 console

To remove a hard drive, first turn off the console. Open the hard drive door following the steps above. You need to pull the tab to remove the hard drive. Finally, replace the hard drive cover and turn the console back on.

kevin, Dec 19, 2015
  3. MB5656
    MB5656 Guest
    I can connect to xbox live, however....

try this:

Turn off your console.

Remove all console storage devices, including any USB flash drives, external hard drives or the internal hard drive on the Xbox 360 E console or Xbox 360 S console. Learn how to remove the hard drive.

Add your primary storage device, for example, the hard drive.

Turn on the console

Try updating the console again.

also try this:

Reset XBOX 360 Failed System Updates

With the console off, press and hold the sync up button.

While holding the sync button press the power button to turn on the console

Continue to hold the sync button until the Console has booted up completely.

During the boot process the console should clear any failed updates, allowing you to use it normally.

hope this helps

MB5656, Dec 19, 2015
  4. onyxishere
    onyxishere Guest

The achievements are linked to your gamertag so the hard drive failure will have nothing to do with them.

As for the data, that depends. Did the drive fail completely or does it still sometimes work? If it's the latter then getting an Official Xbox transfer cable may allow you to move the data from the old drive to the new one.

If it's the former then I'm afraid that there is no way to get the old data back.

To redownload your game content though simply head to Settings>Accounts>Download History to redownload all that you need to.

onyxishere, Dec 20, 2015
  5. Neuwerld
    Neuwerld Guest
    I think the drive is totally dead. The system freezes at the splash screen with the drive installed, but works fine without it. I've accepted that the save data is gone.

Thanks, do you know if downloads include DLCs? And do gamer pictures and avatar items linked with achievements come with the profile?

Neuwerld, Dec 20, 2015
  6. onyxishere
    onyxishere Guest
    Any purchased item is linked to the account. This includes games, DLC's and avatar items that you purchased.

Avatar items that were earned via gameplay may not be retrievable.

onyxishere, Dec 20, 2015
  7. Neuwerld
    Neuwerld Guest
    Ok, thanks for the information.

Neuwerld, Oct 31, 2018
  8. Neuwerld Win User

I think the drive is totally dead. The system freezes at the splash screen with the drive installed, but works fine without it. I've accepted that the save data is gone.

Thanks, do you know if downloads include DLCs? And do gamer pictures and avatar items linked with achievements come with the profile?
  9. Neuwerld Win User

Ok, thanks for the information.
  10. onyxishere Win User

The achievements are linked to your gamertag so the hard drive failure will have nothing to do with them.

As for the data, that depends. Did the drive fail completely or does it still sometimes work? If it's the latter then getting an Official Xbox transfer cable may allow you to move the data from the old drive to the new one.

If it's the former then I'm afraid that there is no way to get the old data back.

To redownload your game content though simply head to Settings>Accounts>Download History to redownload all that you need to.
  11. onyxishere Win User

Any purchased item is linked to the account. This includes games, DLC's and avatar items that you purchased.

Avatar items that were earned via gameplay may not be retrievable.
  12. Mister Rush Win User

Useablity slowly dieing since GTAV online release

Hi there doggm65,

This does seem like a strange one and backing up files is a great idea just in case the hard drive fails. But let's start by removing the hard drive to see if the console plays fine with no hard drive attached. Then let's try reattaching the hard drive and
    then
    clear cache
    and
    redownload the profile
    to see if that helps. Next let's try your hard drive on a different console or even a different hard drive on your console to see if the issue is specific to that one hard drive. Let us know what happens. Thanks!
Thema:

1. Hard drive failed – tips for setting console back up - Similar Threads - Hard drive failed

2. If my xbox one hard drive dies, and I decide not to replace it but get a new console, will...

in XBoX on Windows
    If my xbox one hard drive dies, and I decide not to replace it but get a new console, will...: If my Xbox One hard drive dies, and I decide not to replace it but get a new console, will old games still be saved from where I was up to? And will my digital games(no disk) still download?...
  3. How do you get game files off a xbox 360s internal hard drive with the ring of death

in XBoX on Consoles
    How do you get game files off a xbox 360s internal hard drive with the ring of death: I have an Xbox 360/s that's been to the repair shop for the ring of death and was told that it is a temporary fix. It has an internal hard drive and I would like to get the saved game files off of...
  4. I have an ssd Seagate Xbox 2TB Portable Gaming Hard Drive but it still doesn’t let me play...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I have an ssd Seagate Xbox 2TB Portable Gaming Hard Drive but it still doesn’t let me play...: I have an ssd Seagate Xbox 2TB Portable Gaming Hard Drive but it still doesn’t let me play games from my hardrive!? All I have read is that you can’t play x/a games on hdd but this one says it is...
  5. Error e106 after new hard drive on xbox one

in XBoX on Consoles
    Error e106 after new hard drive on xbox one: Error e106 after new hard drive On xbox one 4d4c522d-cbfa-4d8a-8940-95c19a5a12e7
  6. Xbox one hard drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one hard drive: I pulled out a hard drive of an Xbox one and plugged it into my Xbox one as an external and I didn't reformat it and now my Xbox turns on and off quickly. How bad did I screw it up?...
  7. Hard drive failed. Will I keep ALL progress/data if I buy a new one to use?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Hard drive failed. Will I keep ALL progress/data if I buy a new one to use?: My hard drive has stopped working for some reason and is where all my games were stored. It will be very expensive to try to recover it. Can I just buy a new hard drive and still keep ALL my...
  8. Hard drive space disappearing after failed download.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Hard drive space disappearing after failed download.: How can I get my PC's storage space back? I was downloading a game when my computer closed the xbox app, the game did not download but the space on my hard drive has been used and cannot be...
  9. Xbox One Update - External Hard Drive Fail?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Xbox One Update - External Hard Drive Fail?: So last update my console said was 3/26/2020 Since then my EHD has failed and now I have to reinstall 3 days worth of game installation. like. I left my house with my xbox off, came home and my...
  10. hard drive fail

in XBoX on Consoles
    hard drive fail: the data on my 360 slim hard drive keeps deleting can any one tell me why 266f1bdf-d211-4ff4-bfdc-19f046479049