GFWL client causing game to crash (may be causing controller issues)

Discus and support GFWL client causing game to crash (may be causing controller issues) in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I am currently running a Windows 8.1 Sony VIAO laptop, the same system that I had previously installed my GFWL disc based retail games onto. I have had... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by HyruleBalverine, Feb 13, 2016.

1. GFWL client causing game to crash (may be causing controller issues)

I am currently running a Windows 8.1 Sony VIAO laptop, the same system that I had previously installed my GFWL disc based retail games onto. I have had to reset the system to factory settings a while ago and have begin reinstalling my games, etc. After installing
    GFWL, I encountered the error referenced here (http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_support/xbox_on_windows_support/f/5413/t/2068445.aspx); no big deal, you guys are working on it. I reinstalled Tron: Evolution, which I have played on this same PC with no issues before,
    however now, whenever I try to access the GFWL "home screen" the game crashes. I can play the game with no issue unless I try to access the GFWL menus. This also seems to be affecting my ability to use my 360 controller for Windows. I have the most recent
    drivers for it and I have tried both connecting the controller wirelessly to the receiver and plugging the controller into the system via the play and charge kit (both of these have worked in the past as long as my receiver was plugged in) but now the controller
    won't control the game. While hitting the guide button will bring up the GFWL menu, the game will crash, just like if I hit the windows key on my keyboard.

What, if anything, can I do? I would prefer to play this game using my controller and I am worried that playing the game with these GFWL issues may cause me issues during the game, particularly when I unlock an achievement.

:)

HyruleBalverine, Feb 13, 2016
  2. CMUchippewa
    CMUchippewa Guest
    Xbox 1 DashBoarding mid game

Battlefield is having server issues and such which is causing the game to crash constantly. They are working on patches

CMUchippewa, Feb 13, 2016
  3. game skiiping whilst playing fiifa 11

It's possbile the upload speed may be causing some of these issues. Are you experiencing similar issues with any other game while playing online?

Mister Fitzer, Feb 13, 2016
  4. GFWL client causing game to crash (may be causing controller issues)

No updates? Microsoft, I know you have staff here in the forums... A little help please.

HyruleBalverine, Mar 17, 2016
  5. DJ Morpheus
    DJ Morpheus Guest
    Hi GFWL client causing game to crash (may be causing controller issues) :).

I've been doing some research, because I recall GFWL needing .net Framework to run correctly. I also know that Win 8, 8.1, and 10 DO NOT install .net automatically (I had problems with another app for which .net was required).

Not sure if this will help, but I activated .net on Win 10, and my problem went away. Here is a link with instructions: msdn.microsoft.com/.../hh506443%28v=vs.110%29.aspx

Hope that helps GFWL client causing game to crash (may be causing controller issues) :).

Kind regards.

DJM.

DJ Morpheus, Mar 17, 2016
  6. Morpheus;

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, that didn't fix my issue. I was hoping that was all it would be. It still crashes when I hit the "home" key and open the GFWL menu. The frustrating thing is that this used to work; I had to reset/refresh my laptop installation
    of Windows 8.1 after installing Windows 10 because my laptop didn't respond well to it.

HyruleBalverine, Mar 18, 2016
  7. DJ Morpheus
    DJ Morpheus Guest
    Sorry that didn't help, but I do have a few more suggestions GFWL client causing game to crash (may be causing controller issues) :).

Please feel free to tell me if I appear to be insulting your intelligence, that's not deliberate or intended, of course GFWL client causing game to crash (may be causing controller issues) :).

I've had issues like this in the past... Software works fine... Format... Software doesn't work anymore. It used to be a simple case of me missing a vital component (usually DirectX updates), but Win 8.1 has DX embedded if I recall. There does appear to
    be something missing though, whether it's drivers, or Windows components not enabled/installed. Difficult to say exactly what is missing though :-|.

Did you make any changes to your system prior to previously running GFWL? I used to remove the junk that manufacturers would install, did you remove any of that previously that you can recall? Have you checked your Services, to see if any of those are
    required for GFWL?

I may be grasping at straws here, but it's usually something really simple (and annoying if you miss i). I missed stuff like this on many occasions, and sometimes still do ;-).

This situation is not helped by all support being closed, and links to pages that may have helped are all broken/dead. I have searched extensively over the past few days (for the other posts on the forum too), but just when I think I've found something...
    Broken link. I ran GFWL before, to test it... Similar errors to other posts, but no crashes like yours. If you can find anything on required components for GFWL, then that may answer your question, but I was unable to find anything with detailed information.

Kind regards.

DJM.

DJ Morpheus, Mar 18, 2016
  8. GFWL client causing game to crash (may be causing controller issues)

Thanks for the additional reply. Don't fret about me possibly taking offense, I totally get the need to cover the basics first. I don't believe that I removed anything. It's possible that the only difference is that I installed the GFWL program before the
    game rather than from a game this time, but I honestly can't remember what I did the first time. When I refreshed Windows 8 from 10 I made sure to run Windows Update before upgrading to 8.1 and updating again. The only OEM software that I would have removed
    would have been the antivirus, which I had replaced the first time, too.

HyruleBalverine, Mar 18, 2016
  9. DJ Morpheus
    DJ Morpheus Guest
    This may seem like a daft question, but did you update GFWL to the latest version after installing it from the game disc?

Other than updating current GFWL, or reinstalling game and GFWL in the order you did it last time, I really don't know what else to suggest. [tag:Baffling]

Kind regards.

DJM.

DJ Morpheus, Mar 18, 2016
  10. I believe that I have the current version. Now here's the odd thing; when I loaded up the game in the hopes of getting it to stay open long enough to check, it appears to be working now. I had restarted the computer when I tried your previous suggestion
    regarding the .NET framework and when I loaded up the game it still crashed. After turning on the computer this morning and loading up the game, it seemed to be working fine, at least for the time that I was in the game attempting to check the version status
    of GFWL. So, here's hoping that it works. The first good sign was that this time, it actually showed my Gamerscore/achievements when I hit the home key.

HyruleBalverine, Mar 19, 2016
  11. DJ Morpheus
    DJ Morpheus Guest
    Don't you just hate that? All that searching you do (and pulling your hair out), just for the problem to resolve itself (hopefully). Had that happen myself a few times in the past... Still leaves you with questions though... Why wasn't it working to start
    with? Why did it start working after all this time? Maybe they will stay unanswered ;-).

It's a good thing if it continues to work, of course, but very strange. Got everything crossed for you that it stays working GFWL client causing game to crash (may be causing controller issues) :).

Kind regards.

DJM.

DJ Morpheus, Nov 2, 2018
  12. DJ Morpheus Win User

Don't you just hate that? All that searching you do (and pulling your hair out), just for the problem to resolve itself (hopefully). Had that happen myself a few times in the past... Still leaves you with questions though... Why wasn't it working to start
    with? Why did it start working after all this time? Maybe they will stay unanswered ;-).

It's a good thing if it continues to work, of course, but very strange. Got everything crossed for you that it stays working :).

Kind regards.

DJM.
  13. HyruleBalverine Win User

I believe that I have the current version. Now here's the odd thing; when I loaded up the game in the hopes of getting it to stay open long enough to check, it appears to be working now. I had restarted the computer when I tried your previous suggestion
    regarding the .NET framework and when I loaded up the game it still crashed. After turning on the computer this morning and loading up the game, it seemed to be working fine, at least for the time that I was in the game attempting to check the version status
    of GFWL. So, here's hoping that it works. The first good sign was that this time, it actually showed my Gamerscore/achievements when I hit the home key.
  14. DJ Morpheus Win User

This may seem like a daft question, but did you update GFWL to the latest version after installing it from the game disc?

Other than updating current GFWL, or reinstalling game and GFWL in the order you did it last time, I really don't know what else to suggest. [tag:Baffling]

Kind regards.

DJM.
  15. HyruleBalverine Win User

Thanks for the additional reply. Don't fret about me possibly taking offense, I totally get the need to cover the basics first. I don't believe that I removed anything. It's possible that the only difference is that I installed the GFWL program before the
    game rather than from a game this time, but I honestly can't remember what I did the first time. When I refreshed Windows 8 from 10 I made sure to run Windows Update before upgrading to 8.1 and updating again. The only OEM software that I would have removed
    would have been the antivirus, which I had replaced the first time, too.
  16. HyruleBalverine Win User

No updates? Microsoft, I know you have staff here in the forums... A little help please.
Thema:

1. GFWL client causing game to crash (may be causing controller issues) - Similar Threads - GFWL client causing

2. GFWL Client Download Link

in XBoX on Windows
    GFWL Client Download Link: I need GFWL to play some of my old games on a new PC but cannot find a valid link to the client. I found a few posts: 1....
  3. GFWL Client There was an error retrieving your purchase history

in XBoX Games and Apps
    GFWL Client There was an error retrieving your purchase history: I installed windows, and downloaded the Games for Windows Marketplace. When I tried to log in to download my purchased games, I was met with the error, "There was an error retrieving your...
  4. GFWL client, can't retrieve purchase history

in XBoX Games and Apps
    GFWL client, can't retrieve purchase history: Was working again after the fiasco last year, now it is down again. Can you please fix these servers and actually keep them up so we can play the games we paid for?...
  5. GFWL and Age of Empires 3: Can't redownload the game through GFWL client

in XBoX Games and Apps
    GFWL and Age of Empires 3: Can't redownload the game through GFWL client: I was told to make a post here after a lengthy chat discussion with Microsoft's support. My problem is every time I log into GFWL client and try to redownload age of empires 3 I get: There was an...
  6. GFWL Client broken again

in XBoX Games and Apps
    GFWL Client broken again: The 'Failed to retrieve purchase history' error is back. I'm formally requesting a replacement steam version of my games, as I don't trust GFWL. 5ce07e42-af77-419b-86d7-027c7466d03a
  7. Can not sign into GFWL Marketplace Client

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can not sign into GFWL Marketplace Client: I tried downloading the client in recent days but when I enter my account information, the client freezes after about 10 seconds on the spinning circle and never completes the sign in process. I...
  8. GFWL Client still not working. Error code 0x80070005 when attempting to reinstall GFWL Client

in XBoX Games and Apps
    GFWL Client still not working. Error code 0x80070005 when attempting to reinstall GFWL Client: As previously documented for the past several months: locked due to legal threats here: Uh oh... that shouldn't have happened. and due to the issue being "resolved" here: Uh oh... that...
  9. GFWL - Client works, but game cannot download profile (Lost Planet2)

in XBoX Games and Apps
    GFWL - Client works, but game cannot download profile (Lost Planet2): Thanks for fixing the client! I was able to see my icon load and with no errors in the logs. After trying to signin via GFWL through the game however, It prompts me for my key I used, however...
  10. GFWL Client Error - "There was an error retrieving your purchase history"

in XBoX Games and Apps
    GFWL Client Error - "There was an error retrieving your purchase history": Been talking with support on this since September of 2015. Forum agents keep saying it's being looked into, and giving the standard copy paste responses that act like they're going to fix it but...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. gfwl client causing game to crash