Getting error message that USB drive is too slow on Xbox Series X, after using this same...

Discus and support Getting error message that USB drive is too slow on Xbox Series X, after using this same... in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi all..... I'm at my wits end here. Thursday morning, I turned on my Xbox to find a LOT of weirdness. When I'm normally already logged in and ready... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Candace Riley, Dec 25, 2022.

1. Getting error message that USB drive is too slow on Xbox Series X, after using this same...

Hi all..... I'm at my wits end here.

Thursday morning, I turned on my Xbox to find a LOT of weirdness. When I'm normally already logged in and ready to play, on this particular morning, I was completely logged out, my wifi was no longer connected, and my console was showing pacific time as opposed to my central time, along with some of my remapped controller buttons having reverted back to defaults.

After (apparently) repairing and resetting all of that strangeness, I pull up Forza Horizons 5 as normal and start to try to record on my USB external hard drive, which I've been using for the better part of 10 months with no problems. Now the console is refusing to record to it. When I go to settings to try to change my capture location to the USB drive, it's giving me the error message 0x80bd003b, that my storage device is too slow. I'm trying to understand how Wednesday night it was just fine, and Thursday it was now too slow.

FYI, when all of these odd resets and log outs happened, my USB was NOT plugged into the console. This leads me to believe it's some bug that's gotten stuck in the console and not the USB, but i'm at a loss as to what to do. I've tried restarting the console, formatting the drive multiple times..... nothing is working.

:)

Candace Riley, Dec 25, 2022
  2. CarTzy Win User

Getting error message that USB drive is too slow on Xbox Series X, after using this same one for a year

Hello!

We haven't heard from you in 72 hours, so we assume that your issue has already been resolved. We will not be monitoring this thread moving forward so, if you need further assistance, please create a new thread to discuss these concerns by clicking this link: Microsoft Community.

[​IMG]

Thank you for understanding.
  3. Tezzerrific Win User

Getting error message that USB drive is too slow on Xbox Series X, after using this same one for a year

some external drives use cheap controller which fail over time, what is the model of the drive. Also try another cable as those short usb 3 hdd cables also fail over time which cause the hdd is too slow error as i have had that and in effect the drive dropped to usb 2 due to the cable.
  4. CarTzy Win User

Hello Candace Riley,

Greetings from the Xbox Community. Based on the problem you reported and through posts I came across while researching, formatting the USB to NFTS was the most frequently advised fix. Please be reminded that formatting a drive will remove all files from the storage, make sure everything is backed up.

How to format a USB flash drive or external storage device to NTFS on Windows

How to format a USB flash drive or external storage device to NTFS on Windows | Xbox Support

And here are additional troubleshooting steps that may help.
    Making sure your Xbox has the recent updates

Solution 1: Make sure you’ve installed any recent updates to Xbox

It’s possible that there were recent updates to your Xbox console and that you need to manually update your system so that it detects your external storage. To update:

1. Press the Xbox button  to open the guide, and then select Profile & system > Settings > System > Updates.
    2. If you see Update available, there’s an update you need to install.
    3. After you’re done installing the update, go back to Settings and select System > Storage devices. See if your device appears in the list.
    If your storage device still doesn’t appear, or if there were no pending updates, try the next solution.

Solution 2: Adjust the power management for storage if you’re in Sleep mode

Check your power settings. If you’re in Sleep mode:

1. Press the Xbox button  to open the guide.
    2. Select Profile & system > Settings > General > Power options.
    3. Confirm that your power mode is set to Sleep.
    4. Unselect the option When Xbox is off, turn off storage.
    5. Restart your Xbox, and then go back to Settings and select System > Storage to see if your device now appears in the list.
    Solution 3: Other things to try

If your Xbox still isn’t detecting your external storage device:

• Remove and then reconnect the storage device.
    • Connect the device to a different USB port on the console.
    • Power cycle your console:
      1. Press the Xbox button  on the front of the console for about 10 seconds.
      2. Turn on the console again, and then see if it detects the external drive.
    • Check the website of your external storage device’s manufacturer for additional support.
    Troubleshoot external storage detection on Xbox | Xbox Support

Let us know the result and we will get back to you as soon as we can. We may recommend further troubleshooting steps once we have received your answers to the above questions.
  5. ATCUSN Win User

why does my xbox one x say my ssd is too slow

You cannot use an external drive for series X games even a USB 3.1 SSD is too slow.

You have to use an M2 MVME and it has to be a 3rd gen.

It plugs into the expansion card slot not the USB port.
  6. Obsessive Power Win User

3.0 2Tb Seagate HDD comparability

Hi,

Your drive will work the same on Series X as it does on Xbox One and you won't need to format it.

However, Series X games or Xbox One games with Series X enhancements will not run from that drive and will either need to be installed internally or to an external SSD designed for Series X/S.

Your hard drive will be too slow for Series X games. They can be stored there, but not run from there.
Thema:

Getting error message that USB drive is too slow on Xbox Series X, after using this same...

1. Getting error message that USB drive is too slow on Xbox Series X, after using this same... - Similar Threads - Getting error message

2. I get "There was a problem with the update" message This is the error code I get with that:...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I get "There was a problem with the update" message This is the error code I get with that:...: *** Die E-Mail-Adresse wurde aus Datenschutzgründen entfernt. *** 10e3f5b7-7c6f-4195-9ee9-21b72e7c2ba9
  3. I am Constantly getting error messages when trying to do something on Xbox Service

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    I am Constantly getting error messages when trying to do something on Xbox Service: Wether it's about trying to remove old feeds or changing information. it simply won't work as i constantly get web errors or other stuff shoved into my face. Please fix your services or do...
  4. Certain games on Xbox One won’t load. I get an error message about my subscription status.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Certain games on Xbox One won’t load. I get an error message about my subscription status.: Every time I try and load a certain game I get an error saying that I need to renew my subscription (0x803f800b) code. I have the Core subscription that is live until end of January 24. Any help...
  5. I keep getting an error message (0x80830003)

in XBoX on Consoles
    I keep getting an error message (0x80830003): I have deleted many games and have half a terabyte of memory free bit every time I het an auto save during any game I play I get the error code stating my Xbox is out of space for said data. Error...
  6. I get kicked out of Fortnite when I load into a game and don’t get an error message or...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I get kicked out of Fortnite when I load into a game and don’t get an error message or...: I get kicked out of Fortnite almost immediately after I start loading into a game and it doesn’t give me an error or anything it has been going on for ages. I tried to reach out to Fortnite but...
  7. Can't download xbox profile onto my xbox 360 and getting error message (801540A9)

in XBoX Accessibility
    Can't download xbox profile onto my xbox 360 and getting error message (801540A9): I tried making app passwords and turning off two-step verification but all I'm getting when trying to download my profile is getting an error (801540A9). I don't know what to do and I've been...
  8. I keep getting the error message 'cannot use this alias' when I try to add my phone number...

in XBoX Accessibility
    I keep getting the error message 'cannot use this alias' when I try to add my phone number...: When I've tried to redeem Xbox rewards, I've been asked to add a mobile number to my account. After following all of the steps I get the message saying that I 'cannot use this alias'. I have:...
  9. Getting error message saying my router is using something other than the WPA2

in XBoX on Consoles
    Getting error message saying my router is using something other than the WPA2: I’m getting a Security Protocol Error. Says this console supports WPA2/WPA3 and my router does not support this. What is this? No one I talk to knows what this is, never. Had problems connecting...
  10. error message there was a problem getting your captures

in XBoX Games and Apps
    error message there was a problem getting your captures: I get a message that I have taken a capture with xbox app, but then when I try to view the captures, I get this message "there was a problem getting your captures"...